So to start, I love the AT2k, that is the insides. I hate the shell, it's curvy, non-threatening, bulky, and awkward to hold. On the opposite side of the spectrum, I love the Recon. I love the way it dissassembles, I love the look, and I think it feels great in your hand. However, as we all know, the innards of the recon are pretty much useless.
So here is the base form of The Deconstructor
As you can see, it is hardly evident that the shell has been modified. I was aiming for a very original look without it being too obvious that there have been changes. Yes, there are some visible differences but they do little to shatter the original image of the recon. There is a piece cut away from the slide mechanism, that is because I wanted the air tank to as close to the front of the gun as possible to minimize dead space, as will be apparent in the next picture
Now, lets take a peek inside shall we?
An AT3k pump is evident in the photo, I found that it fit perfectly inside the room where the clip used to be. The small circular section of plastic fits perfectly around the pump rod, allowing for it to poke out unobtrusively. The pump feeds the AT2k tank by looping around, yes it would have been easier to simply have all the tubing inside but I was going for a kind of plasma pistoly look with the tubing exposed. I think it gives off a good image. The at2k tank is breeched and uses the original bolt sled from the recon to service the breech door.
Lets take a look at the firing mechanism.
I ran into a couple of issues producing this. First off, I couldn't get the tubing from the air tank to not interfere with the comfrotability of the handle. I ended up cutting out most of the inside of the shell to accommodate the firing pin.
The breech opening
Finally, the initial goal of the project was to make an AT2k fit inside of a recon with little to no evidence of it being there, so the attachments HAD to be included for this to be a success. All of the attachments can easily be removed for the desired "mode." And all fairly quickly, except the case for the pump rod, which must have screws removed for it to detach.
First off, what I like to call the "shotgun mode"
I find it looks similar to a Spas-12 myself.
The complete assembly as a full rifle
I realize that breeched weapons are not nearly as effective, and that a couplered AT2k would produce a more effective weapon. However, as I have iterated that was not my goal. I did this for the challenge of it's production, because I love modding because it allows for a large amount of problem solving of which I relish in. This project produced plenty of problems to solve, and I feel that I solved them adequately.
So, NIC, there it is in all it's glory. I await your feedback.
Edited by TimmyTown, 06 June 2009 - 07:11 PM.