Photo

Dart Tag Blaster Modification

PETG barrel replacement

10 replies to this topic

#1 1337

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:17 PM

Well, this mod is going to be on how to replace the barrels of your dart tag blaster with PETG. It's a very simple modification.

Stuff needed: 30 inches of PETG

10 inches of 17/32 brass

Buzz bee missile

Tools: Goop or glue of choice

Pipe cutters

Screwdrivers

Step one: Unscrew your gun.

Posted Image

Remove the turret, and unscrew the screws in the turret to remove the orange part. You won't need the orange portion.

Put 10 one inch stubs of 17/32 brass into the slots of the turret.

(This picture was taken on a camera I do not currently have access to and will be put up on Sunday night.)

Slide 3" segments of PETG on the 17/32nds brass, and glue them to ensure they will not move or fall out, and to make sure they are 100% airtight. I used a combo of epoxy putty and plumber's goop, but I highly recommend goop or epoxy. Hell, even hot glue would do the job. Edit: The chopped 4B missile is a barrel spacer.

Posted Image

So Now, we're mostly done. Put the turret back into the shell.

Posted Image

Completely optional: I added a crossfire spring because my local ace does not sell #49's.

Completely optional: I gooped the gray part that fills the hole in the back of the shell to one side of the shell because it was causing problems.

Completely optional: I cut the front handle off because it does nothing more than get in the way.

Close the gun up.

Posted Image

And now you're done. Mine is hitting 55 feet flat.

This mod is great for people who want to mod their DTB but have bigger darts.
I'll be testing this puppy tomorrow at a local war. I suspect with a seal improval and a plunger draw extension mod this could hit 75 feet.

This computer is funky, and I typed this in microsoft word. I'll try to fix any write-up technical problems I see.
Edit: fixed font issue.

Edited by 1337, 06 June 2009 - 02:27 PM.

Join the REVOLUTION!

#2 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:11 PM

Nice write-up. You don't see too many dtb barrel replacement write-ups, so this is helpful for some noobs with dtb's.
The yellow balls are also slightly smaller in diameter than the green ones.

#3 Seven7h Man

Seven7h Man

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:40 PM

What does the brass do?

#4 alextwin007

alextwin007

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:43 PM

The brass acts as a male coupler between the stubs of the turret and the PETG.
Join the revolution
Nerf Revolution

#5 1337

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:48 PM

The brass acts as a male coupler between the stubs of the turret and the PETG.

Also, brass fits in the barrel slots, while PETG is slightly too large.
Join the REVOLUTION!

#6 Capten Karat

Capten Karat

• Banned
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:58 PM

Would this also work with CPVC?
Take of your thinking caps, and put on your ALGEBRAINS!

#7 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 04:00 PM

This was the exact same thing I did to my DTB. I can get pics to prove it too, if you'd like. I'm mid replacing the barrels, so it's only the 17/32" in there now. Alextwin can vouch for that I did it though. I'm not trying to get credit by the way, I just think it's cool we both did the exact same thing. I can also vouch for that it works well. Hey, now I don't need to do a writeup.

And no, it won't work with CPVC. The brass doesn't fit in it.
QUOTE(TxNerfer @ Nov 13 2010, 12:42 PM) View Post

Hey...I got a crazy idea: how about you stop all that sigging stuff? It's not even my thread and it annoys me.

#8 1337

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 04:00 PM

I would imagine it would work with CPVC, but CPVC will not fit in the barrel slots either, so you would need to find a way to work around it or just cut the barrel slots off entirely and glue the CPVC to the turret without them.
Join the REVOLUTION!

#9 zach attack

zach attack

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 04:05 PM

15/32 brass fits into cpvc nicely.

#10 nerfdude123

nerfdude123

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 04:42 PM

I would imagine it would work with CPVC, but CPVC will not fit in the barrel slots either, so you would need to find a way to work around it or just cut the barrel slots off entirely and glue the CPVC to the turret without them.

It does. I did it yesterday. Instead of cutting the barrel slots off just glue the barrels to the little orange things that hold the stock turret in place and then glue those to the black slots.
I liked how you called me big meany head. I'll use that one next time Vacc calls me a faggot.

~ Talio

#11 Glint

Glint

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 05:13 PM

Dangit. I was just working on a version of this.

Blacksunshine showed how to do this briefly in his "Violator" writeup. Not in depth at all, so it was kinda confusing and tough to get anything out of it. Hereticorp made a DTB PETG turret, but in a very different, more complicated and harder-to-do manner.

What I was planning on doing was drilling through the turret barrels with a 9/16 drill bit, and doing the same with the walls of the barrel slots (not all the way through the hole opening, just so the PETG could fit sungly). I think this is what Blacksinsune did. It makes it much cleaner, as your turret is stil there, but you have an inch or two of PETG sticking out the ends, which looks pretty cool.

When I attempted to work on something with an extra DTB turret I had, I tried sanding down the insides of the barrel slots enough so the PETG could fit in. It can be done, but usually the barrel slots crack or split, allowing air to leak. It could be fixed using goop and some E-Tape, but I never followed through with making a random PETGd DTB turret that I had no use for...

Good work. I've always kinda liked the DTB, but it never had any major mods done on it. This is a step in the right direction, I think.

Edited by Glint, 06 June 2009 - 05:14 PM.

This has spiraled beyond uselessness into utterly stupidy.
- VACC
Read it again until you figure it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users