Photo

The 'real' Longshot [cpvc Coupler]

My first mod in the directory? Hopefully?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 07:41 PM

Posted Image

Firstly. I will say. ALL CREDITS TO THIS MOD IDEA GOES TO LYNX! He came up with this AWESOME alternative to plain ol' CPVC singling a Longshot. The thesis was this;

"Attach a shortened piece of CPVC to the bolt.

Put something BELOW the bolt/barrel to keep darts from sliding in.

Attach a coupler to the barrel.

NOW when you action the breech, the cpvc disconnects from the coupler, and opens the coupler breech (it also cocks the gun (duh)."

I forgot step number 2. But I'm here to say, that this idea works wonderfully, but it takes time, patiance, and persistence. Definetly time. It took me most of my afternoon to do. But with the right spring(s) and other mods, this makes the Longshot finally worth it's namesake. That's why I call this the "Real Longshot" mod.

I've been trying mods on my Longshot for awhile, so I've taken out many surpurfulous parts such as prime indicator and muzzle.

Firstly, I cut a 4 and 1/2 inch CPVC barrel to be the new bolt. And I tore off the old bolt. I then took the chamber and cut off the front part.

Posted Image

I filed it and deburred it until it was fairly flat, then I took a random piece of CPVC and took my coupler and put them in this way:

Posted Image

Then I carefully used Zap-a-Gap around the coupler until it was firmly glued onto the chamber.

I then opened up the plunger chamber thing, where the spring and the plunger head are, and put the 4 & 1/2 inch CPVC bolt on top of the black bolt thing like this:

Posted Image

I VERY carefully did that, to make it as straight as possible. Then I carefully put zap-a-gap on one side of it, waited for it to dry, then zap-a-gap'd the other side. Then once dry, I did another, all around zap-a-gap. This won't be separating anytime soon. I tested it with the new coupler-chamber, and found it actually a little too long, so I cut of roughly 3/16th of a inch off of the CPVC bolt.

Posted Image

I then took the old bolt and used cutters to cut off the bolt sled nub... Thus started my battle with getting the CPVC bolt to work with the old bolt nub.

First I tried using plain'ol hotglue. Then even zap-a-gap... But nothing was quite working. You also need to take in account the distance between the bolt and the nub, and also the distance between the bolt and the side of the shell, so you have to be carefull where you glue togeather the bolt... I would suggest a epoxy beacuse it bridges gaps quite easy than zap-a-gap.

What I ended up doing, is taking some extra scrap from the old bolt, and gluing some bit to the nub, and some to the bolt, and fileing down both until they 'played nice' with eachother. Then I zap-a-gap'd them. It's not going anywhere now thankfully. :)

I then cut the chamber a little to help me put darts in better.

Posted Image

And here's a overview of the insides of now.

Posted Image

I've bound to forgotten something. So please ask questions. I'll try to get ranges sometime tomarrow or monday.

This write-up isn't a exhustive write-up. This is mainly to show how I did Lynx's idea. And yes, you can not use normal Longshot magazines with this if you do this mod, but the efficentcy increase definetly out weights the lost of magazines.

FYI. I've streched the stock spring and added a streched NF spring because I can't find any good replacement springs in any of the hardware stores around me yet. But both of the combined are very loud noise when fired.. I'm also using a 12 inch barrel not including the bolt.

Edited by Galaxy613, 06 July 2008 - 10:21 PM.

[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#2 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 07:59 PM

You seriously just did exactly what I'm doing right now... Except I made a peice of cpvc too shots and gorrilla glued it in so Im thinking of just putting copper or something to extend it to touch the blue piece(the one the cocking bar pulls on)...

#3 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 08:14 PM

Ranges? Also, how do you load this now?
Welcome to I-dont-care-isburg, population: me.
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#4 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 08:20 PM

When you cock it you hand load the dart while its open... Then close it.

EDIT: only if its like mine, which Im pretty sure it is looking at your writeup...

Edited by Kid Flash, 05 July 2008 - 08:20 PM.

#5 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 08:39 PM

Ranges? Also, how do you load this now?

Opps, forgot to upload the pictures of the bolt... In short, you cock it back, place the dart in the bolt, push it forward, and fire.

OR you could cock it back, push it forward, then ram-rod or blow the dart down the barrel, then shoot.

Closed:
Posted Image

Open:
Posted Image

*Edit*

As for the ranges, I will wait until I get outside with a tape measure before I make any guesses. But frankly, it shoots the 30 feet between me and my brother's room as fast as my SM1.5 on 3 pumps...

Edited by Galaxy613, 05 July 2008 - 09:36 PM.

#6 CrazyIvan VI

CrazyIvan VI

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:15 AM

I would suggest sawing off the sight rail for more convenience when loading.

Also, if you load from the right side, slap a bunch of ammo holders on the side right next to the jam door, and of course, you removed the Jam Door.

This is a great Longshot mod if you can't get the materials to make an Angel Breech. (Much like the lack of brass myself...)
I get all giddy when I see VACC browsing a stupid topic. I just know someone is going to get banned.

#7 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:58 AM

I will just place my other post here.

What I would do:

Attach a shortened piece of CPVC to the bolt.

Put something BELOW the bolt/barrel to keep darts from sliding in.

Attach a coupler to the barrel.

NOW when you action the breech, the cpvc disconnects from the coupler, and opens the coupler breech (it also cocks the gun (duh).

THEN you drop a dart in, close the breech, and you are ready to fire. There would be a little dead space, but you will have a great seal with good rate of fire. You can even use deodorant or cardboard clips.

You would keep a good seal with a good rate of fire. You can use clips, have a great seal, and the only downside I see is the small amount of dead space.

EDIT: I thought of the darts not being in a good position while being dropped in. You can use a piece of brass in the cpvc (attached to the barrel) so it will be stationary. Then the dart will hit the brass and not be below the cpvc. This way, the dart won't jam as much. Another way to deal with it is to have an angled piece of plastic or a magazine follower on the bottom so the dart lands there. The cpvc will hit the follower, grab the dart, and hit the coupler. The follower could be used if you broke a clip since you messed up a mod. I am sure you would sacrifice 1 clip so you can have a 15+ dart homemade cardboard clip.

EDITv2: To secure the magazine, cut the N-StrikeĀ© rail so you can house a ridiculous amount of darts in the clip ( I am thinking of boom13's BBB mod of F_A24's mod).
I think I might have to buy my first longshot!

Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#8 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:40 PM

For note, even with the deadspace of about 3-4 inches when I don't ram-rod the dart all the way in.. it still works very well. It might be a 12 inches of barrel it still has to go down.

The only problem really is for some reason my catch face is having a problem catching.. When I pull it back fast, it catches fine, but if I do it slowly it can't. If only the back of the longshot could be transparent so I could see what's going on. :P It might be caused by the powerful spring combo though..

I thought of the darts not being in a good position while being dropped in. You can use a piece of brass in the cpvc (attached to the barrel) so it will be stationary. Then the dart will hit the brass and not be below the cpvc. This way, the dart won't jam as much

Actually, at least with my darts, I've had no problems jamming. What I do is put the dart in the chamber, slide the bolt forward, and no problems. I'm thinking of adding some medium walled PETG for below the bolt to give a larger area to put a dart for faster reloading.. That'll take some time and I'll have to open the gun up though.

Edited by Galaxy613, 06 July 2008 - 12:43 PM.

#9 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 02:47 PM

Well, I would put some paper or ripped up old clothing in the empty space so the dart just falls into the bolt and you can just fire it from there. Another option is to put a magazine on it and have a hole at the end that goes into the clip.

Then, the dart just falls into the space at the bottom of the magazine, the cpvc bolt moves THROUGH the clip and picks up the dart. This way, you could load the clip form the top and never have to take it out (you could easily though).

A Dremel-ed hole in the rail could support the clip.
Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#10 HOTH

HOTH

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 557 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:47 AM

My personal favorite LS mod. Congrats and props. Working on this at the moment. Just to clarify, the piece of cpvc inserted into the chamber is only used to stabilize the coupler, then is removed after the coupler is glued on firmly? Am I correct on that assumption?

Edited by HOTH, 26 July 2009 - 01:48 AM.

My YouTube

Solved the Rubik's Cube in 46 seconds

"Nobody understands quantum mechanics" - Richard Feynman

#11 Vinnie D

Vinnie D

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 02:59 AM

Thanks. That one's been bugging me for a while. I'd been considering the same idea, but I didn't think it would work for some reason. Now that someone has been brave enough to risk it, I can go ahead. This could very well revolutionize the longshot. No longer is a good breech restricted to those with access to brass and metal working skills.

#12 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:48 AM

My personal favorite LS mod. Congrats and props. Working on this at the moment. Just to clarify, the piece of cpvc inserted into the chamber is only used to stabilize the coupler, then is removed after the coupler is glued on firmly? Am I correct on that assumption?

If you are talking about this picture: http://i257.photobuc...shot/trl_02.jpg

Then yes, that 3'' of CPVC was only for stablize it while the glue sets.

Thanks for the compliments guys, but this thread was over a year old, you aren't supposed to necro without something important to add.

#13 themacattack672

themacattack672

• Banned
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:39 PM

Excuse me for saying this, but I am having a tough time understanding the goal of this mod. It doesn't take clips, neither does the LS when it is singled. The only advantage of doing this mod rather than singling the LS that I can see right now is that it would put less pressure on the breech/barrel. Someone, please, correct me if I'm wrong.

#14 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:59 PM

I personally saw it as a launching off point to doing a brass-less breech. With some careful adesive placement you COULD have this accept magazines. Mind you, this was posted BEFORE Ice's [in]famous "LS that functions without a boltsled" thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users