Photo

Introducing A Hellcannon

The evolution of a Doomsayer, now with Video!

28 replies to this topic

#1 nerkum

nerkum

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:05 PM

I have been testing Inline clip barrels lately and wanted to see if I could apply this tech to my Doomsayer. So far the tests are showing a lot of promise, and my current ammo capacity is 48 streamlines, or 60-72 stefans (2 inch and 1.5 inch respectfully). I have yet to do range test, but I know already that I am not going to get anywhere near my old ranges. I am hoping the overwhelming amount of shots I can make will counterbalance loss of range.

Materials needed:
Doomsayer
6ft Clear Petg Tube, 5/8”Od, ½” Id (Mcmaster 9245k25)
12ft Clear Petg Tube, 3/4 “ Od, 5/8” Id (Mcmaster 9245k29)
Plumbers Goop

Step 1: Take the barrels out of your Doomsayer and pray you don’t break it.
Posted Image

Step2: Cut off the outer part of the yellow shell that came with the RFSG. I used this as a new seat for my barrels since the ¾” Petg fits it perfectly. So I slapped this onto the Doomsayer Turret and sealed it up with Plumbers Goop.
Posted Image

Step 3:Assemble your barrels by cutting the ¾” Petg into 12” lengths (you can go shorter if you want better ranges), and cutting the 5/8” Petg into 5-6” lengths (the shorter you go with the ¾” the longer you can go with the 5/8”). Get your Plumbers Goop!
Posted Image

Step 4: Glue the 5/8” inside the ¾”. It is an airtight fit so this combo works great. The ID of the 5/8” Petg is really ½”, so you may have to use something else as barrel material if that is too tight for your darts (works perfect on nerf darts, and Swiftnerf’s white foam).
Posted Image

Step 5: Put the Inline Clip Barrels in the Doomsayer, and fill them with the ammo of your choice. Fire till your arm falls off… then maybe you might need to reload.
Posted Image

Before your eyes your Doomsayer should turn into a HellCannon. This is a very front heavy gun (add to the fact that this is a three spring Doomsayer, Orig/LS/BBB) so make sure you don’t have spaghetti noodles for arms before attempting to handle this monster.
Posted Image

Here is an example of firing 36 shots. I do have the fun angled down slightly so that does help with loading of the next round, but as you can see I don't have to point the gun at the ground to get the next round into position. I did have two rounds that didn't fire correctly towards the very end, but that does not happen when I have multi-rounds in the clip. Only when there is one dart in there.

Ranges flat:
Full Clip 71'-80'
One Round in Clip 63'-67'

Looks like the range variance from a full clip to a almost empty clip will be anywhere from 10-20'.

Short video of reloading 6 of the inline clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkF9hlcH070

Hope you like it.

Edited by nerkum, 05 June 2009 - 11:55 AM.

#2 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:09 PM

Oh, good lord.... I would imagine this thing is terribly fragile... But crap. I'm very impressed. Ice9 is going to be pissed. ;)
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#3 Soothsayer

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:15 PM

This gun is more comical than useful in my opinion. If you anything more than a rear loading, 12 shot, 110ft+, pump action nerf gun, you have some serious aiming and skill issues.

yeah I'm that guy who made that cool thing with the cool paint.

#4 nerkum

nerkum

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:32 PM

Draconis: I'm using 1/16" wall Petg. This stuff is thick. The barrels are the strongest part of the gun now.

Soothsayer: I'm not afraid to admit I'm not the best player in the world. Hell when I played paintball my motto was "One Case, One Kill!" or "Spray and Pray". Besides, having something that can continously lay down fire is going to change some strategies. Otherwise you are charging a machinegun nest.

Edited by nerkum, 03 June 2009 - 11:33 PM.

#5 Shwanky

Shwanky

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:42 PM

So the turret is the magazine? (I see it is an inline magazine. I explain mny question below)

On one of those pictures you have a few streamlines in one barrel, do you shoot them all at once or what? If you don't shoot them all at once, how did you work it to shoot one at a time?

Sorry, I'm just a little confused as to how this works.

Edited by Shwanky, 03 June 2009 - 11:48 PM.

I'm new to nerf but feel like I'm good at modding and at playing.

Currently modding every gun I can get my hands on.

Working on my own mod. I can't wait to finish and get the write-up...well written up. =)

#6 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:50 PM

It using a variation of the RSCB and inline clip concept. Basically, the back end of the barrels are loose enough that the plunger air *usually* flows around all but the front dart, and fires the one dart. Disadvantages are decreased range the more you shoot, due to extra dead space, and the occasional double or triple fire.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#7 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:54 PM

Maybe it's just me but I hate inline clips.
I cannot stand them.
Correct me if I am wrong but now you need to aim the gun down after every shot to get the dart in place.
This actually slows down the ROF which is one of the Doomsayers pinnacle features.

Evolution, I think not.

But if you like it then that's all that matters.

I would pit any one of the Doomsayers I have built against this one in a Nerf war.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 03 June 2009 - 11:55 PM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#8 Shwanky

Shwanky

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:58 PM

It using a variation of the RSCB and inline clip concept. Basically, the back end of the barrels are loose enough that the plunger air *usually* flows around all but the front dart, and fires the one dart. Disadvantages are decreased range the more you shoot, due to extra dead space, and the occasional double or triple fire.

So you have to put the darts in at certain spots for it to work?

If so, that sounds like it would be annoying to try to do while playing, but I guess with that amount of darts already loaded, reloading is NOT going to be needed. =)

Whenever I decide to build a doomsayer I will probably try this too! I'm so much more excited to build a doomsayer now that I see I could do this!
I'm new to nerf but feel like I'm good at modding and at playing.

Currently modding every gun I can get my hands on.

Working on my own mod. I can't wait to finish and get the write-up...well written up. =)

#9 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:01 AM

A six-shot inline takes a lot of potential out of a springer. It seems to me that a two or three shot inline would be a better choice -- you would maintain an enormous ammo capacity, while not significantly hurting the ranges. But I'm glad someone did this (I'm a fan of putting inline clips on everything).

Forsaken_angel24: You would not need to point the gun down after every shot, only after every twelve shots.

Edited by Daniel Beaver, 04 June 2009 - 12:03 AM.

#10 nerkum

nerkum

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:06 AM

FA24: So far in my testing everytime I fire one it partially loads the next dart into the fire barrel about 1/16". I will be testing this tomorrow after I go buy some more ammo, but looks like it will affect the rate of fire very little, if at all. Also you only need to point traditional inline clips down to get the dart past the air valve. The air valve in this situation is in the back and as the air pushes into the smaller fire barrel it accelerates pulling all the darts forward (funnel effect).

I can always swap my barrels back (In between games, or even on the battlefield if I choose to carry 12 barrels around), and then I would have a normal Doomsayer. The evolution is, now I have a choice.

Daniel Beaver: The plunger on the Doomsayer is huge and pushes a ton of air. You are correct though, I could use shorter barrels and get more range. I did the maximum I thought would work, and it still shoots very hard (to my suprise).

Edited by nerkum, 04 June 2009 - 12:14 AM.

#11 Keith

Keith

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 01:36 AM

Schwanky, it's a bit different on this mod, but here's a diagram that shows what happens in a clip like this. On this one the air just comes from behind the darts in the rear instead of in front. Here is a mod with a clip like the diagram shows. Hope that's helpful if you were still unclear on what this is.

#12 Capten Karat

Capten Karat

• Banned
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:00 AM

Good Job, Too much work for me, But it's fine if it works for you.

P.S. I thought it was going to be a doomsayer that shot balls from the title.
Take of your thinking caps, and put on your ALGEBRAINS!

#13 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:05 PM

Very good work all of the sudden lately all these good mods are popping up possibly due to the contest. Also it does work I've made it work with tight barrels and 2 darts one in the front and one in the back.
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#14 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:31 PM

I like the concept, but maybe just a 1 shot clip would have been better. A little less range but amazing reload time.

#15 MoonMaster

MoonMaster

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:50 PM

I like the concept, but maybe just a 1 shot clip would have been better. A little less range but amazing reload time.

Isn't a one shot clip a barrel?

5. Protip: sarcasm is good for making someone else look like more of an idiot than they already do. However, if you are an idiot to start with, using sarcasm just makes you look like a COLOSSAL idiot.

#16 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:06 PM

Isn't a one shot clip a barrel?

I meant leaving space in the inline for 1 dart and also preload a dart into the barrel.

#17 nerkum

nerkum

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:26 PM

I can still do that as well, the PETG I am ordering from Mcmasters is very versatile. The two different sized are airtight with each other, and the larger size fits missiles. So, I can even have a mix and match of darts and missiles (can’t do 12 missiles because the barrels are too close together).

I do like the idea of the single chamber for easier reload. The darts just fall right in and I don’t have to worry about them fitting snug. It does make for super fast reload. Thanks for the idea TantumBull!

#18 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:08 PM

With all those springs there might be some durability issues. If I remember, FA24 put too much power in his Doomsayer and it broke. You don't want to repeat that mistake, do you?
I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#19 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:22 PM

Just FYI: If you're naming it that, the names been taken.

Mine.
Active on H3Artificer as Halacar. GT: Halacar send me an invite if you wanna forge.
I'm amazing at Forza3! I destroyed the engine of a 2mil C car by downshifting! YAY!
I hate you. And all noobs who are like "OMFG i r liek, glued sh1t 2 shit. jak offf ma ego. NAOW!"

#20 nerkum

nerkum

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:52 PM

With all those springs there might be some durability issues. If I remember, FA24 put too much power in his Doomsayer and it broke. You don't want to repeat that mistake, do you?

I have done a ton of reinforcement as FA24 noted in his write-ups and follow-ups as well. Regardless, if any piece does break I have replacement parts available. It is the tradeoff for power.

Mine.

I don't think I am allowed to rename a Doomsayer, even if I called it Nancy and painted it pink, it would still be called a Doomsayer.

#21 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:19 PM

Mine.

He didn't name it Hellcannon, he said it is A Hellcannon.

I'd like to see a video of the action, and I'd like to know mainly if the ranges are over 60' with the last dart.

#22 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:00 PM

Shortening the inline to hold one dart wouldn't give you a faster reload time than you already have, it would be the same except there would be less capacity. And I'm not quite sure what you mean by not having to worry about a snug dart fit.

The main thing my suggestion would give you is considerably more power, and seeing how a 12 shot springer is already overkill, a 24 shot springer that gets very similar ranges is cheap as hell, yet awesome.

All in all, you got something awesome going, keep it up. I would emulate this except that I feel doomsayers in general give an unfair advantage on the field. You don't have to be a good nerfer to do well with a doomsayer. I just stick with pride and fairness over winning.

That's just my sentiments. Each unto his own.

Edited by TantumBull, 04 June 2009 - 10:00 PM.

#23 chefdave

chefdave

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:03 PM

Inline clips slightly decrease range, therefore do you really need 60 shots in what is normally a 12 shot rear loading gun?
QUOTE(VACC @ Jul 21 2009, 08:13 PM) View Post
QUOTE(crispy) View Post

Talio likes to eat his own shit.
It's a distinct possibility. But seriously, that's all you could come up with? You are a terrible Troll.

#24 nerkum

nerkum

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:15 PM

Inline clips slightly decrease range, therefore do you really need 60 shots in what is normally a 12 shot rear loading gun?

Yes.

I would use this setup in a zombie game type scenerio. Where you have to keep moving, range isn't overall important (50+), and stopping to reload will get you killed since you have to take your eyes off the action. For normal games of 'Capture the Flag' or 'Elimination' I will stick with the normal 12 shot murder machine setup. For 'Bunker Fights', and 'Zombie'... You can bet your ass I'm pulling out this setup.

#25 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:28 AM

and stopping to reload will get you killed since you have to take your eyes off the action.

Completely agreed - the last time I played a Zombie round, I stayed alive as long as I kept my blasters loaded. However, the horde rushed me and I had to empty my blasters to keep them back. Once I ran out of darts, I started reloading hurriedly, but the one bugger I didn't see in the shadows was the one that got me.

I think the fact this this is a modular system, which can be switched between a traditional Doomsayer and any number of inline setups, is what makes this a truly great mod. You can custom tailor the blaster to your needs, and that is invaluable.
Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users