Photo

Bbb Reinforcement Question

14 replies to this topic

#1 TrouserSnake

TrouserSnake

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:23 PM

I'm working on a BBB and I'm planning on doing Coop's reinforcement mod. I got the correct size washers, but I don't know what tool to use to cleanly cut the washers so that I can get the disc back on to the plunger rod with the washers on. Anyone have any suggestions on what tool to use for this mod?

Edited by TrouserSnake, 28 May 2009 - 06:32 PM.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Tr0useRSnake69
If you want to play Gears or something, send me a message.

#2 nitetarget techfinder

nitetarget techfinder

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:32 PM

Put the washers in a vice and use a hack saw, but be careful they get hot I burned myself on one. :)

Edited by nitetarget techfinder, 28 May 2009 - 06:32 PM.

Don't tell me what I can't do!
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

\,,/(^.^)\,,/ mmmmmmmm yummmmmy

My bunny looks so tastey. :)

#3 hardshot

hardshot

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:32 PM

A dremel with a metal cutting bit will work. Just remember to wear gloves because the metal gets really hot.
NEON GREEN DARTS! FINALLY!

I've Been Dreaming of this day.

-Baghead

If you are CANADIAN, Join the Canadian nerf site right now! Click me if your canadian

#4 TrouserSnake

TrouserSnake

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:34 PM

Thanks guys. I know I have some metal cutting disks lying around here somewhere. If I can't find any, I'll try the hacksaw method.
Xbox Live Gamertag: Tr0useRSnake69
If you want to play Gears or something, send me a message.

#5 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:56 PM

You don't actually need to cut the washers. You can just slip on a washer, snap on the disk, and slip on the next one.

Removing is slightly more annoying, but doable.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#6 nitetarget techfinder

nitetarget techfinder

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:02 PM

You don't actually need to cut the washers. You can just slip on a washer, snap on the disk, and slip on the next one.

But then they would jangle around and make noise. :)
Don't tell me what I can't do!
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

\,,/(^.^)\,,/ mmmmmmmm yummmmmy

My bunny looks so tastey. :)

#7 Glint

Glint

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:03 PM

A dremel with a metal cutting bit will work. Just remember to wear gloves because the metal gets really hot.

Yeah. I actually held the washer with a pair of pliers and cut it. Hardshot was there when I practically threw the pliers along with the washer across the room because I touched the washer like 2 minutes after I had cut it with the dremel (it hadn't cooled down). Be really careful.

This has spiraled beyond uselessness into utterly stupidy.
- VACC
Read it again until you figure it out.

#8 atomatron

atomatron

• Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:04 PM

I have done this, and they don't.
Perche Germolgi. [Because it shoots]

Rainbow Clan

#9 Chris is cool

Chris is cool

• Banned
  • 174 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:05 PM

I used a grinder and it came out fine. This method is much easier considering the grinder is stationary...but then again the washers come in packs of like 7 :) . Also, I suggest 5 Minute Professional Epoxy for gluing the washer on...it works like a charm and sets quick (not dries...SETS).

Edited by Chris is cool, 29 May 2009 - 07:48 AM.

#10 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:31 PM

I use these. I place the bottom on the ground, stick the washer in (and hold on to it with pliers) and cut. It takes about 3 seconds for each cut. If the washer is a little bent after this, I simply clench it tightly between a large pliers.

Posted Image

I third this.

Edited by cheesypiza001, 28 May 2009 - 07:32 PM.

#11 Ro-Sham-Bo

Ro-Sham-Bo

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:57 PM

I cut metal as a small side business and here is how I do it.
1. Place metal to be cut with Dremel in vice and tighten as much as possible
2. Make the needed cut with the metal cutting wheel on the Dremel
3. Grip the freshly cut piece with pliers and remove from vice
4. With the metal still in the pliers, submerge the metal in ice cold water.
5. Take the metal and use as you see fit
QUOTE(baghead @ Dec 31 2008, 07:58 PM) View Post

Wait a second? a Canadian National team... just won at Hockey!?

who would have ever seen that coming?

#12 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 03:46 PM

I use these. I place the bottom on the ground, stick the washer in (and hold on to it with pliers) and cut. It takes about 3 seconds for each cut. If the washer is a little bent after this, I simply clench it tightly between a large pliers.

**INSERT PIC OF UNWIELDILY LARGE BOLT CUTTERS HERE**

But then they would jangle around and make noise. :huh:

I third this.

I never thought of cutting through a washer with that. And I also agree that putting whole washers in doesn't make noise. But the most effective method I see is using a dremel. But wear a face shield. You don't want to end up like this:

Posted Image

#13 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:10 PM

Dammit I missed that. At first glance I thought it was this.

Posted Image

Which might work.

Edited by Lt. Stefan, 29 May 2009 - 05:10 PM.

#14 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:35 PM

If you really think Cheesy posted a picture of bolt cutters, you're not gong to end up looking that good. That tool is a tree lopper, made for cutting only wood, and if you tried to cut thick metal with one, the blade might very well snap off and kill you right through any safety glasses.

After cutting the first washer, I checked the blade all over for any signs of wear and there were none. Then, I proceeded to cut a 1/6" bolt which also did absolutely nothing to the blade. If you want, I can make a video.

#15 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:40 PM

That's like saying "I freehand all my dremel cuts using my penis as a guide and so far I'm ok!"

Don't expect any sympathy when you injure yourself through improper usage of the wrong tools.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users