Parkour/freerunning In Nerf

That crazy shit in the commercials.

20 replies to this topic

#1 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 01:20 PM

I've recently decided to take up the discipline of Parkour, and I find it very liberating. I have a fear of heights and of falling, and I'm hoping that practicing this will help me to overcome it.

Anyways, I'd like this thread to be all about Le Parkour.
- Do you practice it?
- If so, how do you train?
- Do you have a particular style?
- Have you ever used it in a Nerf War?
And so on.

I feel it's alright to post this topic in General Nerf because it can be of use in evading/feeling in wars, especially in urban areas, but we'll let the Mods decide that.

Are you a traceur?
"I don't always drink beer. But when I do,
I beat my wife."

#2 canuck

canuck

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 02:16 PM

I do that everynow and then, but moving in a nerf war is much different. In a nerf war, movemant should be fast, smooth, and should be diciplined so as to make yourself a smaller target[you wont believe how many times I got out in paintball, nerf, or airsoft becuase my elbow or toe was sticking out slightly].
There is no use of it in nerf, so LET THIS THREAD DIE.
We don't have military tactics or specialized training. We're fucking kids playing with plastic guns trying to tag each other.
-nerfer9

#3 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 02:20 PM

Sorry, but I have to disagree. What part about Parkour wouldn't make you a smaller, faster moving, and all around generally more difficult opponent? If you leave yourself open, then yes, you're going to get hit. But if you're rushing someone like this or evading, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Also, don't use LET THIS THREAD DIE just because you deem it unimportant, newbie.

you wont believe how many times I got out in paintball, nerf, or airsoft becuase my elbow or toe was sticking out slightly.

Who's fault is that exactly? The fact that you probably didn't notice you were open is why you got out.

Edited by Norther_of_Heaven, 28 May 2009 - 02:29 PM.

I beat my wife."

#4 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 02:25 PM

The shooter has less of a chance of hitting you out of pure awe and intimidation than the actual movement of it. Seems like pretty cool shit to be doing a a nerf war.
QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

If at first you don't succeed, add more epoxy.

#5 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 02:28 PM

The shooter has less of a chance of hitting you out of pure awe and intimidation than the actual movement of it. Seems like pretty cool shit to be doing a a nerf war.

I mean, why would they put something like that in the commercials for a DART TAG GAME.
I beat my wife."

#6 LiterSize

LiterSize

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 02:56 PM

I've done my fair share of rolls forward and backward during a war but this isn't the forum for it. Modifications, war planning, announcements, game types, resources directly related to plastic toys and foam projectiles. The basis for this topic is a side interest which may complement the play styles of some nerfers. To say it has no use in a nerf war is subjective, but discussing training here is not the information we think of looking for when we come here. And very often, we find ourselves in open fields which don't lend themselves to parkour movement to begin with.

#7 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:08 PM

Don't get me wrong, doing parkour in a nerf war would be really cool. But, like other people have stated, I don't believe that this is the right forum for this. Also, you could get really hurt if you do something stupid because someone is about to shoot you. I sure as hell wouldn't jump off anything taller than 5 feet with my primary in hand because I would kill myself (or it).

Edited by Mehku, 28 May 2009 - 03:09 PM.

#8 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:02 PM

I have nearly shattered my ankles at no less then 4 nerf wars, and that was just from running around in the woods. If you are leaping off buildings and all that type of shit, you are likely to kill yourself. Parkour SHOULD NOT be in nerf. I'm not closing this, but I don't want to see this topic go much further either.
I hate you.

#9 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:18 PM

Yeah, this would officially ruin nerf for 90% of people who go. If it became at all common, I would just stop going to wars.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#10 Chris is cool

Chris is cool

• Banned
  • 174 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:20 PM

My friend just got 16 stitches in his leg for trying stupid shit like this. He lost control in mid-air from an around 5 foot jump and landed on a metal pole that was as sharp as a knife. Then stuff gushed out of his leg. Don't do this crap guys, it ain't worth it.

#11 minsc

minsc

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:39 PM

I don't think parkour in nerf would be death defying. When do you nerf on skyscrapers and in cities in the first place? However, a simple running jump over a bench or whatever there is in a field to "parkour" over seems harmless enough, and if you break yourself, its good for a laugh. I personally don't parkour, but I think the simple techniques wouldn't be too hard to pull off, you just have to remember you probably only have one free hand. However, stuff like jumping from one level of a building to another is asking for trouble.
QUOTE(Zorn's Lemma @ Jul 25 2010, 12:18 AM) View Post

You'll do a lot better if you spread the lips with the front. Trying to wriggle the back in there first seems a bit counterintuitive.

RSCBow

#12 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:11 PM

I thought all you had to do was dodge foam darts?
Southeast Nerf Contingent

#13 THE BANANA KING

THE BANANA KING

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:42 PM

I absolutely love parkour i've been training for a while and can do almost all basic vaults i love the idea of nerf and parkour i would be so excited to go to a nerf war in a setting good for parkour.
-Parkour rules!!!

#14 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:23 PM

I thought all you had to do was dodge foam darts?

Of course, but there's still room for doing so with style.

I emailed you bob.

#15 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:36 PM

It seems to me that it isn't really freerunning unless you're hopping from building to building, preferably in some abandoned Russian housing project. Since most Nerf wars seem to take place in open fields at public parks, you might as well just ask if jumping has a place in Nerf wars.

After thinking about it, the answer is not really. Most people are going to be aiming for your chest, so you won't be jumping over many darts. And benches are maybe 4 or 5 feet wide, you won't be losing that much time by going around. At the last Minnesota war, we had the flags up in trees and on a rooftop a couple of times, but it was way more effective to boost somebody up or use a stick then it was to jump at it. Even if somebody wanted to climb up onto the roof of the pavilion to get a height advantage over people, would you really call that "parkour"? I wouldn't.
"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#16 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:34 PM

To many of the people who are concerned with one hurting themselves:

Thats why you practice moves, train your body, and work out. Just like with every, other, sport which requires physical activity. I am merely saying that it would be something of an advantage when engaging in a war. Nothing required. It certainly couldn't hurt to train/work out before a war, either.
I beat my wife."

#17 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:46 PM

My friend just got 16 stitches in his leg for trying stupid shit like this. He lost control in mid-air from an around 5 foot jump and landed on a metal pole that was as sharp as a knife. Then stuff gushed out of his leg. Don't do this crap guys, it ain't worth it.

Not to add insult to injury, but who's fault was that? The sport's or your friend's? Don't attempt shit If you're not ready to do it. Am I honestly the only person in this thread who sees what I'm talking about here?

Edited by Norther_of_Heaven, 28 May 2009 - 07:51 PM.

I beat my wife."

#18 Chris is cool

Chris is cool

• Banned
  • 174 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:53 PM

Not to add insult to injury, but who's fault was that? The sport's or your friend's? Don't attempt shit If you're not ready to do it. Am I honestly the only person in this thread who sees what I'm talking about here?

You didn't say anything about people who are experienced. From what your thread stated I thought you meant that any old shmuck should do it. If your trained, you have less of a risk than many other people.

Edited by Chris is cool, 28 May 2009 - 07:53 PM.

#19 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:58 PM

You didn't say anything about people who are experienced. From what your thread stated I thought you meant that any old shmuck should do it. If your trained, you have less of a risk than many other people.

Are you serious? All I asked was if anyone practiced it. I never said "Hey go try this out cause it will make you harder to hit in a war". I said it could help, but thats only after training for it.

I give up. Fuck it.
I beat my wife."

#20 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:03 PM

I give up. Fuck it.

Don't let the idiots get to you. You actually did imply it right from the beginning.

Yeah, don't just kill your own thread for the sake of people who can't even read the first post. I don't practice it in any form, but I do think it'd be kinda cool if someone all of a sudden pulled an example of it mid-war. Yes, the location would need to be right, and yes, if it began to become too frequent, it would take the fun out of a war, but it would definitely increase one's stamina and agillity, which would be a great benefit in a war. So yes, I think that the effects of it would apply greatly in a war, but not exactly the stunts/movements themselves.
QUOTE(TxNerfer @ Nov 13 2010, 12:42 PM) View Post

Hey...I got a crazy idea: how about you stop all that sigging stuff? It's not even my thread and it annoys me.

#21 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:35 PM

Okay, I can't stand another minute of this. Bob's fucking talking about how your train like he's the old guy who's WAY too comfortable with his own nudity in the shower room. I'm fucking done with this.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users