Rayven Cosmetic Mod

Need advice on performing a 1920s-style mod

7 replies to this topic

#1 Talonair

Talonair

• FNG1 
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:23 PM

So, my university's Humans vs Zombies society has decided that the theme for the next game will be Lovecraftian, 1920s era. To that end, people have been gathering costumes etc for the game. I already own a Hammershot for the revolver, but I am stumped on how to make my Rayven look like something from the 1920s. I don't want it to look like a specific weapon, just like the style of the era. I do own a drum magazine which may help.

Few requirements: Since I live in the UK, it must apply to the laws surrounding imitation and realistic imitation firearms (You would think that being a Nerf gun alone would meet this, however we've had the police called on us more than once because people have thought they are real weapons). To that end, a fair amount of the blaster must remain its original colour

#2 Ezio Nerf

Ezio Nerf

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

Maybe try a Stryfe instead, you could turn it into a TommyGun with a Rampage Drum and a Stock and then give it a paint job. I went ahead and searched on Google Images and there's some ideas on there. Search 1920's Nerf Guns.

#3 archangel24

archangel24

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:17 PM

I agree with Ezio on the stryfe idea, and with stryfes, you get better ROF and motor RPM and they are just better in general. You could attempt wood grain for some parts and then just use bright colors for the rest of the blaster, colors that will make it obvious that it is a toy.
QUOTE(Talio @ Oct 14 2010, 10:37 PM) View Post

I would much perfer a game that's free of KY. I like it rough. Right, Vacc?

"She went all Ghetto Fab on you."

#4 kevne

kevne

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:47 PM

Here in the UK, you need the blaster to be at least 50% brightly coloured for it to comply with the law. This doesn't mean that you have to leave part of your Rayven that awful lurid green, but you do have to choose another bright colour. If you fancy a read, we have done a fair bit of research on this over on the BritNerf forums. Lots of words.

As for your blaster, it's a fairly difficult genre to theme a blaster on since it mainly focuses on weird beasties and the like.

Hellboy had some Lovecraftian elements to it so maybe incorporating some of the films steampunk/dieselpunk ideas into your blaster will work well with your costume.
BritNerf, the Queen's favourite Nerf Forum.

The UK's most popular Nerf Blog.

I also have a Website.

#5 Azrael0987

Azrael0987

formerly ijackofftomen. Different dude from Azrael.

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:38 PM

I suggest looking up william jakespeare on youtube. He has tutorials on how to make many prop guns. A lot of his building elements could be used for making your blaster look from that that era. His generally look pretty realistic so just change the paint scheme and WALA! A pretty damn legit looking nerf gun.

#6 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:55 PM

Posted Image
I did this as a commission for a steampunk LARP, might help with ideas...

#7 Keola88

Keola88

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:25 AM

Personally I would use about 50% wood texture/colors as mentioned above, but throw maybe 30% orange on it and the rest gray or black bits. The orange will help it stand out as a toy so people aren't afraid of it.

#8 Talonair

Talonair

• FNG1 
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

Thank you all for the advice. I'm going to hold off on buying a Stryfe, I don't need more blasters and I don't like how the grip sits in my hand, I find the Rayven far more comfortable. I'll check with the society moderators to see what would be acceptable. I think leaving the orange areas orange (including the magazine) and painting some of the raised areas bright colours should be fine. Britnerf, thanks for the picture, that's given me a lot of ideas, and it fits in with my usual HvZ gear very nicely

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users