Dremel Accident

This is a MUST READ

39 replies to this topic

#26 Vinnie D

Vinnie D

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 03:08 AM

Eye protection when both playing and modding nerf. The safety glasses are uber cheap too, so no excuses. I just keep mine right next to my dremel, so there's no forgetting.

I personally cut with a diamond edge steel cutting wheel. It was kind of pricy but it flies right through plastic, is more durable, and doesn't leave as much of a rough edge as the cheap ones. Goes through metal too, though I don't cut metal often and have a pipe cutter that handles that anyway.

Anyway. No excuses. Take the extra half second to slap those safety glasses onto your face.

#27 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 08:05 AM

Also, I wouldn't suggest buying those shitty little cutoff wheels (the ones that are less than a milimeter thick) as they break too easily and quickly become an annoying safety hazard.

Well, the ones Im using are very thin, but they are the ones that came with the dremel. Should I buy thicker ones?

Buy a plastic cutting bit, rather than discs.
Posted Image

They cut very well, don't need crazy high speed to operate, and make coarser dust that isn't as much of a pain to clean up.

Edited by Carbon, 24 May 2009 - 08:06 AM.

Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#28 123caviler

123caviler

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:44 AM

Carbon where do you get those? I've looked (maybe not hard enough) at 2 different Ace's but with no luck. I really want one of those.
QUOTE(One Man Clan @ Mar 15 2009, 03:49 PM) View Post

O YEAH!
Mr.Kool_Aid,
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended. blah blah blah

OMC is fucking god.

#29 spartan062

spartan062

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:51 AM

Carbon, the cutting disks (the better ones), are capable of cutting more of a variety of materials.

And Blue, grabbing the bit while it is moving isn't a smart idea, at any speed.
Join the Revolution- NerfRevolution.com

#30 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 01:53 PM

I believe the bit Carbon showed is by a company called Gyro Precision Tools. I've seen their stuff at OSH, and I believe it to be very high quality.

Spartan.062, the bit had grabbed one of my sweatshirt strings and was coming towards my neck quite fast.

#31 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 02:53 PM

Use eye protection, wear thick sleeved clothing, and wear any other protective gear you can while modding.

Do not, I repeat DO NOT, wear long sleeves when using high speed settings. Also if you, like me, have long hair, do something so it doesn't get caught, as your face getting pulled toward a cutting bit is not fun.

#32 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 02:59 PM

Carbon where do you get those? I've looked (maybe not hard enough) at 2 different Ace's but with no luck. I really want one of those.

If you order them from Dremel, they're parts #198 and #199
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#33 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 04:30 PM

Just because a dremel can get to 45000 RPM, depending on your model, doesn't mean it should. That fast, the disk can shatter from some of the tiniest weight difference on each side.

It's best to stick with low speed, especially when you're cutting plastic. Hell, cutting wood, I've set that shit on fire. I know plastic has a low iginition point, too. Probably best to stay away from high speed at all costs.
QUOTE(NerfUK @ May 8 2009, 11:54 AM) View Post

(I forgot to take a picture of my own poppers)

QUOTE(analogkid @ May 20 2009, 10:04 PM) View Post

Every size rod you could ever want.

#34 spartan062

spartan062

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 04:34 PM

Just because a dremel can get to 45000 RPM, depending on your model, doesn't mean it should. That fast, the disk can shatter from some of the tiniest weight difference on each side.

At that speed, the disc can also shatter simply from the centrifugal forces such speeds can produce.

EDIT: In Layman's Terms, the disc spins itself apart.

Edited by spartan.062, 24 May 2009 - 04:37 PM.

Join the Revolution- NerfRevolution.com

#35 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 08:24 PM

The bit Carbon showed is absolutely superior to an abrasive disc in every way for cutting plastic (I got mine at Wal-Mart). The only time I use an abrasive disc is for cutting metal (like a spring), and even then, I go slowly and carefully, and use a reinforced disc. Dremels are not milling machines, and should be treated as the lightweights they are.
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#36 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:51 PM

At that speed, the disc can also shatter simply from the centrifugal forces such speeds can produce.

EDIT: In Layman's Terms, the disc spins itself apart.

Idn'at what I just said? The tiniest weight difference causes centrifugal force; gravity, itself to rip the disk apart.

High Speed is really overkill, anyway.
QUOTE(NerfUK @ May 8 2009, 11:54 AM) View Post

(I forgot to take a picture of my own poppers)

QUOTE(analogkid @ May 20 2009, 10:04 PM) View Post

Every size rod you could ever want.

#37 Nerf 808

Nerf 808

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:08 AM

I Extend a thanks to you, for you have provided a example as to what may happen if you do not take safety seriously ( Thank god you did not loose your eye! :( )

Like my Auto-Shop teacher says:

"Never stop thinking about safety, or you may never think again"
Nerf 808 and The HNF Nerf Team

#38 Foamfoot

Foamfoot

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:51 AM

You know what? I think we all know that we are supposed to wear eye protection. Those who are going to wear it already do, and those who forget, or are just plain stupid do not. Heck, even if someone did not know that you need to wear eye protection when using a 30k rpm dremel, they must be too stupid to read the warning on the dremel, much less the stories explained here.

Edited by Foamfoot, 25 May 2009 - 07:52 AM.

Pro-pants
(Unofficial) Wii thread
QUOTE(Bedhed117 @ Aug 14 2009, 03:49 PM) View Post

Damn it Foamfoot. Why is it that you kill every good topic with a retarded response a few days late.

#39 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:33 AM

Liam, if by posting this thread you saved a single kids eye, it was worth it.
No matter how stupid that kid might have been, he is still a kid.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#40 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:55 AM

I recently got a set of Dremel's fairly new "EZ-Lock" cutting wheels for plastic, and the special mandrel they require, and I am impressed - I have yet to wear out the first wheel. More expensive than the red junky wheels, but now I see it's probably more cost-effective too.

These are the disks I use, EZ-Lock for Plastic and Metal, they are quite possibly the best cutting wheels I've ever had for the dremel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users