Crayola Barrel Making - Full Write Up

Clear and conchise.

17 replies to this topic

#1 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:36 PM

Ok. Up until a bit ago, I used to be confused on the best way to make Crayola barrels. It's actually harder than it looks. I used to use a lot of shitty methods that would make me spend 20 minutes per barrel, but now, I can make 3-4 every 5 minutes.

MATERIALS

Posted Image
A Crayola Marker.

Posted Image
A Hacksaw.

Posted Image
Pliars or a blunt pair of scissors.

Posted Image
A Mitre Box (Optional, for straight cuts.)

Posted Image
A long screwdriver.

PROCEDURE

Step 1 - Take the cap off of the marker. This is a HARD STEP. Throw the cap away when finished.

Posted Image

Step 2 - Using your blunt pair of scissors/pair of pliars, yank out that retarded ink tip. Throw it away also.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Step 3 - Cut on the line shown with a hacksaw. WARNING - YOUR HACKSAW MIGHT GET A CUTE SHADING OF THE MARKER COLOR YOU CUT. Throw away the piece that comes off (the short piece, obviously..)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Step 4 - Grab one of those fibers or somehow get a grip on the ink cartridge. Pull that out. Throw it away.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Step 5 - Stick the screwdriver into the hollow part of the marker, as shown -

Posted Image

Get a good grip on the marker. DON'T LET YOUR HAND GO LOWER THAN THE END OF THE MARKER! If you do, when you slam it down, you can get a nasty blood-blister. Slam the screwdriver end onto the ground.

Posted Image

Step 6 - Clean up your area/whatever else. When you get the chance, It's a good idea to run some water through this thing to clear up that color.

EXTRA STEP?

If you want to get rid of those 3 ridges on the inside of the barrel, here's how I do it.

Put a pair of skinny-ish scissors into the ridge-end of the barrel like so -

Posted Image

And just twist them both opposite ways several times.

Use the scissors to snip off the little pieces that become unattatched.

It normally takes me 5 minutes to totally de-ridge them. I don't usually, becuase I only do this if it matched the ID of a plunger tube, like on the Tech Target.

You're done!

You now have a very cheap barrel material that works, and fits most batches of Frost King foam almost perfectly!

Edited by ilzot, 22 May 2009 - 12:45 PM.

QUOTE(Vinnie D. @ Feb 1 2010, 05:28 AM) View Post

... to be able to get a better burst or sustained fire, rather than blowing the whole load at once.

#2 Chris is cool

Chris is cool

• Banned
  • 174 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:41 PM

You should also rid of the 3 little, raised pieces of plastic on the inner wall of the marker. I suggest using a metal filer (sp?).

Edit: Fixed, nevermind. I just though you didn't do it. It also makes marks or indentations on your darts, so its pretty important.

Edited by Chris is cool, 22 May 2009 - 12:58 PM.

#3 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:42 PM

I honestly had pictures for that as another step. I just thought people wouldn't care. I'll edit that in for the first step :P

... to be able to get a better burst or sustained fire, rather than blowing the whole load at once.

#4 nitetarget techfinder

nitetarget techfinder

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:59 PM

Good job, but another way you could do it is cut off the part the cap covers and sand out the insides with a rattail file. And again good job :P.

Edited by nitetarget techfinder, 22 May 2009 - 03:00 PM.

Don't tell me what I can't do!
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

\,,/(^.^)\,,/ mmmmmmmm yummmmmy

My bunny looks so tastey. :)

#5 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 03:10 PM

I could do this, but I tried to keep this whole writeup "cheap."

This way, you could make these barrels without having to walk out your front door, as long as you have very very basic tools.

#6 Gym

Gym

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 03:14 PM

Good method. I tried using crayola markers once and got frustrated. Then I realized I could use Roseart markers instead and get the same result. I'm not sure if there is a difference in the ID of the Roseart markers, but I thought it was easier. Well done though, if it works for you there's no sense in changing.

#7 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 03:20 PM

Good method. I tried using crayola markers once and got frustrated. Then I realized I could use Roseart markers instead and get the same result. I'm not sure if there is a difference in the ID of the Roseart markers, but I thought it was easier. Well done though, if it works for you there's no sense in changing.

There is a slight difference between RoseArt's and Crayola's. I can barely cram a FK stefan into the RoseArt's, but they slide in no problem into Crayola's.

A maybe millimeter of difference.

Sorry for rapid responses :P Might actually be a good thing though...

#8 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 03:48 PM

I use a 1/2" drill bit to take off the little nubs, it leaves them perfectly smooth. Anyways, nice write up.
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#9 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:14 AM

I tried with a 1/2 inch drill bit, and screwed right through the side of the barrell somehow.

I'm such an idiot.

#10 Roschili

Roschili

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 02:07 PM

Very nice guide very helpful, but I found it was easier to use a Black & Decker Wizard(basically a dremel with a cutting wheel) instead of a hack saw to cut off the piece where the ink is. Great guide very detailed and good pictures.
I think my bullshit meter just exploded. What the fuck you talkin' 'bout, Willis?

#11 Capten Karat

Capten Karat

• Banned
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 03:26 PM

Great write up, I'm sure a lot of newer members will appreciate having this guide, I didn't understand how to make them when I first started and I wish the guide was here back in november because then I would still have 2 flashlights, a pen, and a colored pencil.
Take of your thinking caps, and put on your ALGEBRAINS!

#12 Basilisk

Basilisk

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 04:06 PM

Very detailed, I find that this is very useful because these kinds of markers are the most common but difficult to make. This was very helpful because i didn't know you could pop the end off, I just saw the end of my crayolas, they fit micro sized darts perfectly. Also, the ridges I cut off ith an xacto knife and sanded what was left down, it was perfectly smooth, you could probably get a small dremel bit an carefully remove the ridges as well.

Edited by Basilisk, 24 May 2009 - 04:07 PM.

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."
-Carbon

#13 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:01 PM

Thanks for the support guys.

I tried to make these as cheap as possible. So the only thing you'd need to buy is a hacksaw, if you didn't have one.

Everything else are houshold items.

I tried to stay away from dremels etc.

#14 Ballard

Ballard

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:34 AM

Nice and Clean!

I do almost everything the same as you, but I would have never thought of using a screwdriver to pop the back of the marker off!
This is so much cleaner then cutting both sides!

-Thanks!

Edited by Ballard, 25 May 2009 - 12:35 AM.

#15 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:55 PM

Great write up, I'm sure a lot of newer members will appreciate having this guide, I didn't understand how to make them when I first started and I wish the guide was here back in november because then I would still have 2 flashlights, a pen, and a colored pencil.

Macgyver can make a Crayola Barrel out of 2 flashlights, a pen, and a colored pencil.
QUOTE(NerfUK @ May 8 2009, 11:54 AM) View Post

(I forgot to take a picture of my own poppers)

QUOTE(analogkid @ May 20 2009, 10:04 PM) View Post

Every size rod you could ever want.

#16 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 01:14 PM

LOL.

Thanks again for the continued support.

#17 THE BANANA KING

THE BANANA KING

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:47 PM

My advice is to use Rose art markers instead its alot easier and simpler. besides some times i feel bad ruining such a good marker but i dont feel bad at all ruining the crappy Rose arts.

#18 Jimu RetroGuru

Jimu RetroGuru

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:23 PM

My advice is to use Rose art markers instead its alot easier and simpler. besides some times i feel bad ruining such a good marker but i dont feel bad at all ruining the crappy Rose arts.

They're not THAT bad. Still, considering they're $1.99 for an 11-pack at Wal-Mart it's not a bad deal.

Personally, when cutting down marker barrels I use a Brasscraft pipe cutter to get a good 90-degree cut. If the cutter blade doesn't break through the soft plastic, I follow up on the score with a box-cutter.

I like to cut the marker end off right at the cap with my box-cutter. Again, 90-degree cut plus a little extra plastic to contact.

Pliers are also good for taking off the bottom caps.

I tried with a 1/2 inch drill bit, and screwed right through the side of the barrell somehow.

I'm such an idiot.

Hopefully, you didn't try using that trick with an actual DRILL.

Just HOLD THE DRILL BIT IN YOUR HAND and twist it like a screwdriver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users