Captain Slug's Dart Design

THESE BABIES NEEDS A NAME!

9 replies to this topic

#1 Jimu RetroGuru

Jimu RetroGuru

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:58 PM

From Help! Painting Stefans, coincidentally started by me.

If you make CS darts with white felt tips, then you can put glow in the dark paint on the tip. I color the tips of my CS darts with a yellow marker, so you should be able to use paint.

Now, if I hadn't been busy making my own darts, I wouldn't know he was talking about Captain Slug's variation of homebrew darts.

Am I the only one who thinks that his felt tip & washer design deserves its OWN name?

-the manufacturing process is SO MUCH easier than traditional stefans
-the weight distribution allows for more reliable darts
-converting stock darts is also SO MUCH easier

And, in the words of the good Captain:

(QUOTE)
- Significantly lower cost per dart. If purchased through mcmaster, the washers are $0.0074 each, and the felt discs are $0.01 each. The liquid nails cost is too low per-dart to calculate.
Fishing weights, even if purchased as low as $1 per bag of thirty, cost twice that amount ($0.03). And that cost is not including the hot glue you would need to attach them.
- Much easier to make with high consistency.
- Higher foward-loading since the weight is distributed even closer to the tip of the dart
- More unique and visually appealing. Felt discs are available in white, black, green, and brown.
- Does not require the application of hot glue
- Tips can dry in any orientation without affecting shape/performance of finished dart
- They hurt less. The felt is a much softer tip than hot glue, and personally I think these hurt less than streamline or dart tagger darts which tend to leave hickey marks because they deform on impact.
(UNQUOTE)

Personally, I'm leaning towards "sluggos" or "slugs" over "CS darts."

#2 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:03 PM

From Help! Painting Stefans, coincidentally started by me.

If you make CS darts with white felt tips, then you can put glow in the dark paint on the tip. I color the tips of my CS darts with a yellow marker, so you should be able to use paint.

Now, if I hadn't been busy making my own darts, I wouldn't know he was talking about Captain Slug's variation of homebrew darts.

Am I the only one who thinks that his felt tip & washer design deserves its OWN name?

-the manufacturing process is SO MUCH easier than traditional stefans
-the weight distribution allows for more reliable darts
-converting stock darts is also SO MUCH easier

And, in the words of the good Captain:

(QUOTE)
- Significantly lower cost per dart. If purchased through mcmaster, the washers are $0.0074 each, and the felt discs are $0.01 each. The liquid nails cost is too low per-dart to calculate.
Fishing weights, even if purchased as low as $1 per bag of thirty, cost twice that amount ($0.03). And that cost is not including the hot glue you would need to attach them.
- Much easier to make with high consistency.
- Higher foward-loading since the weight is distributed even closer to the tip of the dart
- More unique and visually appealing. Felt discs are available in white, black, green, and brown.
- Does not require the application of hot glue
- Tips can dry in any orientation without affecting shape/performance of finished dart
- They hurt less. The felt is a much softer tip than hot glue, and personally I think these hurt less than streamline or dart tagger darts which tend to leave hickey marks because they deform on impact.
(UNQUOTE)

CS Stefans. Done

#3 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:13 PM

If you insist, Captain Slugs.

Alternatively, since they follow the base requirements for being a Stefan, you can call them their name: CS Stefans.
QUOTE(NerfUK @ May 8 2009, 11:54 AM) View Post

(I forgot to take a picture of my own poppers)

QUOTE(analogkid @ May 20 2009, 10:04 PM) View Post

Every size rod you could ever want.

#4 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:18 PM

We've been calling them Slug darts for as long as I can remember. Months and months, at least. In the words of Ice9: Fuck this thread.
Teehee.

#5 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:19 PM

Slug darts, CS-darts, they work. We use them.

Why do you exist?
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#6 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:19 PM

You say "if I didn't make my own darts, I wouldn't know that when the guy said "CS Darts" he was talking about Captain Slug-style darts" yet you go on to the bottom of your post and suggest the exact same name, why?
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#7 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:06 PM

Why are you trying to come up with an official name for something I made?
To me they're just felt+washer stefans, but "Slug Darts" has been passed around at wars and works just as well.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#8 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:14 PM

Why name them when they already have a name? Also these are CS's design so he should name them, which he already has done.
The yellow balls are also slightly smaller in diameter than the green ones.

#9 Jimu RetroGuru

Jimu RetroGuru

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:36 AM

Why are you trying to come up with an official name for something I made?
To me they're just felt+washer stefans, but "Slug Darts" has been passed around at wars and works just as well.

Sorry Captain, I'm kinda new here. I wasn't trying to name them myself. I was just suggesting that the design was different enough from Stefan Mohr's that it should justify a separate name, and perhaps a write-up that wasn't buried in two separate posts in the stefan-making discussion. (Hint, hint, a link on your homepage isn't enough.)

Also, did Stefan name his design after himself or did someone else do it?

(Do not taunt Happy Fun Moderator.)

#10 Jimu RetroGuru

Jimu RetroGuru

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:40 AM

Actually, now that I think about it, "slug darts" are rather fitting. One definition of "slug" is a disc of cheap metal, sometime used to cheat vending machines.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users