My Bolt Mechanism Design

Looks interesing...

5 replies to this topic

#1 IntelligentDesign

IntelligentDesign

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:24 PM

I spent some time looking at bolt designs, and I found that very little of them are 100% leak proof. So I spent some time creating and perfecting the design, doing through it numerous amounts of time, to make sure it is perfect. I am planning on making it soon, but I'm having trouble finding thin brass piping.

Posted Image

The black circles represent a rubber washer.

The brown lines are brass pipes (PVC is just a bit too thick)

The spring like thing is a spring

The grey rectangle is a stefan

The orange lines represent glue

The yellow rectangles represent a brass pipe that has a little knob on it, which is used to load, unload the bolt mechanism

Notice how the spring is contracted when it's loaded, that causes small pressure between the stefan and the brass piping where the air travels, so that air leak is minimal.

Comments? Questions? Random company slogans? cookies? :)

#2 spartan062

spartan062

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:33 PM

Comments? Questions? Random company slogans? cookies? :)

Very interesting concept. It looks like it could work well...
Good luck with finding the brass pipe.

And sorry, no cookies.

EDIT: Actually, you could probably use CPVC instead of brass pipe

Edited by spartan.062, 20 May 2009 - 10:40 PM.

Join the Revolution- NerfRevolution.com

#3 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:14 PM

I don't get it. Could you explain it?
QUOTE(NerfUK @ May 8 2009, 11:54 AM) View Post

(I forgot to take a picture of my own poppers)

QUOTE(analogkid @ May 20 2009, 10:04 PM) View Post

Every size rod you could ever want.

#4 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:16 PM

If you use brass, the breech will be airtight without any o-rings needed. You can get brass here.

17/32" Is a tight fit for darts, and 9/16" fits most darts well, but is loose for some.

Any two adjacent sizes of brass, going by 32nd's of an inch, are airtight with each other.

Check out some of the many brass breeches on this site for ideas, including the "SoulReaper" in my sig.

Welcome to NerfHaven.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#5 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:09 AM

It looks like there will be a whole bunch of dead space. I think that there needs to be less space between the air "inlet" and the dart. Good concept though.
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#6 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:00 AM

I spent some time looking at bolt designs, and I found that very little of them are 100% leak proof.

There's no such thing as 100% efficiency. To increase efficiency in sliding brass breeches, you just need to have one the two consecutive sizes contact for a longer distances while they are concentric (they slide into each other for a longer distance, creating a better seal).

With your design, you need to take into consideration how things are to be built. Yours seems to be similar (if not inspired by) a pump paintball gun, where a bolt with an o-ring seals the barrel. The walls of the K&S brass tubing we use are 1/64" thick. You'll have a difficult time making a carrier that can hold onto a o-ring while making an efficient seal with only that wall thickness.

Also, a large factor is the "dead space" that's behind the dart in your design, as others have mentioned. That hurts overall efficiency in almost all circumstances.

Finally, we don't condone concept threads where no real work or testing has been done, though the recent slew of said threads might indicate otherwise.

Welcome to Haven.
Teehee.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users