Welkinhawk

AT1K modified

19 replies to this topic

#1 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:56 PM

Contrary to popular belief, AT1Ks do not suck. And no, that is not a typo, that is an AT1K I am referring to. As in the AirTech 1000.

Posted Image

The AT1K has a big ol' spring in it, so it definitely has potential. Plus they're cheap (price-wise). I got mine at Family Dollar for $5, but I've seen them sold at BigLots and CVS too.

When you open it up, you'll see this:

Posted Image

There is a casing around the plunger that is held together with screws. If you unscrew that, you'll find the trigger catch mechanism, complete with its own weird sort of torsion spring wrapped around it. Don't lose it!

Posted Image

Most of the internals of the AT1K are attached to one side of the shell with screws, so if you take everything out, you'll see this here:

Posted Image

The plunger tube is a bit undersized, but it does have a really nice spring, with thicker wire than I've seen in many other blasters that use similarly sized plunger tubes. At the end of it is a rubber stopper with a hole in it where air flows out of it. Rather than remove that entirely, you will want to widen that hole.

Posted Image

I cushioned the plunger head as well, even though it has a hard rubber head on it already. I just like having the extra padding.

Posted Image

One thing that I don't like about the stock AT1K is how it primes, so to solve that I glued a handle to the back of the priming "sled" for more convenient priming.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Then I went to work on the turret.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Foam Backer Rod for sound reduction has become pretty customary for all of my spring-powered blasters.

Posted Image

And paint jobs are customary for ALL of my blasters, this one included.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ranges? Pfft, ranges are overrated. I can honestly say I got an average of around 55-60 feet with my darts, but my height affects ranges, so keep that in mind if you choose to believe me when I say that the AT1K is a viable secondary. It's great for gunslingers too; I prefer it over the mechanically temperamental Maverick.

Questions? Comments? I already know I'm going to get flamed for daring to deface the Maverick.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#2 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:57 PM

Awesome!

#3 Disturbed

Disturbed

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:12 PM

Great mod and SPECTACULAR paint job!!! Thank your mother for producing you (over reacted much?).
If you nerf in Washington, I am a host of SANO, Seattle Area Nerf Out. PM me, would love to add you to the Washington nerf crew.

#4 goatsrecon

goatsrecon

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:15 PM

That is probably my most favorite paintjob out of your other guns. I love the choice of dark blue and black.

Now I'm regretting not buying one of these when I saw one at an outlet mall.

Edited by goatsrecon, 17 May 2009 - 11:20 PM.

[20:44] Venom213: sometime I'm going to wear condoms on my hands and feat at a nerf war
[20:44] Aimless: Does it make you invulnerable?
[20:45] Venom213: nothing can kill me if I have PROTECTION!!!!

[16:39] Hawkshot: Sloppy joes taste awesome.
[16:39] Mr_BadWrench: Whos Joe?

#5 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:28 PM

BOB, I use stepped drill bits

Posted Image

$9.99 on sale at harbor freight now
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#6 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:33 PM

Nice job. Love it when people mod uncommon guns. Great job
Thats pretty cheap for a 3 set. I've seen those for for $15 a piece. But those are GREAT. I love them.
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#7 Jedijoe9

Jedijoe9

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:47 PM

This makes me regret giving away the three AT1k's I found thrifting. I really like the idea of having a pistol on hand that fires multiple shots without a speedloader-- I commonly find myself going to my sidearm after being rushed and then dying while trying to ramrod a second dart to fire at an enemy that is ten feet away from me. Nice job.

Also, from the IRC chat earlier:

Posted Image
"If you watch jaws backwards it's about a huge shark that throws up so many people that they need to open a beach."

I nerf like a four year old.

#8 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:55 PM

I really like this. It's made a overseen blaster become something more and the PJ's perfect. Now if only I could get one....

Also, to dizzy, was the new cocking mech made out of choice or because it had to be repaired?

Again, great job.

#9 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:01 AM

Also, to dizzy, was the new cocking mech made out of choice or because it had to be repaired?

It was my choice. I found having to "claw" the back of the blaster to a primed position was uncomfortable and impractical.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#10 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:11 AM

It was my choice. I found having to "claw" the back of the blaster to a primed position was uncomfortable and impractical.

Fair do's. I'm not a big fan of PVC pipe cocking mechs, but if it works for you.
Good job. Do I detect a slight hint of cleaness to the paint job also? It seems like the colours aren't as dark as some of your other works. I like the new look.

#11 bionicsuperjew

bionicsuperjew

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:18 AM

Good Job dizzyduck,

I just replaced the barrels on my at1k also and am getting almost 40ft out of mine using stock darts, so if I can get more that is awesome. I have also thought this gun had potential but I tried to mod one a couple of years ago and did not get good results. I really what you did to the cocking mechanism in the back with the handle. What kind of glue did you use? Is it just hot glue?

#12 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:41 AM

Nice work, I'll need to try this. Ranges are overrated, long live ranges!

#13 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:22 AM

What kind of glue did you use? Is it just hot glue?

Epoxy first, then hot glue to fill in the gaps.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#14 Basilisk

Basilisk

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:24 AM

Fantastic! Props to the stunning paint job! Nice simple mod too!
"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."
-Carbon

#15 white moonlight

white moonlight

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:36 PM

Nice Paintjob.

Way to go for bringing the AT1K back.

Those ranges are good as well.

Nice Mod.
On his trec to Colonfest...
VengefulWaffle BOY, 12 KILLED IN MOUNTAIN PASS BY WILD RACCON, EXPERTS SAY HE ATTEMPTED TO HOLD IT OFF WITH NERF NITEFINDERS
POLICE SAY: ALCOHOL MAY HAVE BEEN INVOLVED
Guess who he was talking about...

#16 gameplayer20859

gameplayer20859

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:54 PM

Great mod and paintjob (as usual )! I love how you made a practical cocker and I'm digging those ranges too! Great overall work.
two of my cousins managed to superglue their foreheads togeather... don't ask

You could stick one anywhere.

assassinNF

Take on my brute.

#17 flashflint

flashflint

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:01 PM

Could you, by any chance, let me know what brand that cpv is? The walls are thinner than mine and it intrigues me.

#18 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:20 PM

Could you, by any chance, let me know what brand that cpv is? The walls are thinner than mine and it intrigues me.

Genova 4120, 100 PSI, purchased at Lowe's. It fits slightly looser than 17/32" brass.

Edited by dizzyduck, 18 May 2009 - 09:21 PM.

Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#19 L3G10N

L3G10N

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:23 PM

dizzy duck you are probably my favorite modder ever. I love how you take underrated guns and then preform fairly simple mods to them making them awesome. I also love your easy to read write-ups. I have personally done both your howler mod and this one and got great results. I love the at1k and I thank you for giving it the respect it deserves.
Or my personal favorite, the mini butane blow torch! That will thing will remove the gay from of Clay Aiken.
-Banshee

#20 Nerf Bros

Nerf Bros

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:57 PM

Great job, I really love the paint job... Then again I like all of your paint jobs...

-nerfbros
We have no sig.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users