Photo

Modular Longshot.

14 replies to this topic

#1 wisdom000

wisdom000

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:36 PM

Because my pm box is filling up I figured I would just repost it here, and answer questions publicly for anyone else who may be interested...

Wanting a fully modular LS, I removed the foregrip bit, as though I were going to do a fg integration, and instead glued a rail on there (taken from the recon barrel extension) and I covered up the hole with a cover of a hand held game I got from mcdonalds.

Posted Image

Then I set to work on accessories.

Posted Image

The first accessory is just the top front half of a ls fg, it doesn't do anything, it just looks neat to me.

Posted Image

I kept the top half from one of the other FG's to make a loser barrel extension. I had seen this done before, however, I haven't seen anyone add a rail to it, nor have I seen anyone do a removable bipod... (recon target light mounted under the ls as well)

Posted Image

And here is the bipod mounted to the LS.

Posted Image

And of course it never would be complete if I didn't add the FG integration...

Posted Image

The problem with that was, the connection mech for nerf accessories is kinda weak and wobble, I fixed that for the fg by inverting the leftover rail from the recon barrel extension, now it fits smooth and tight.

Posted Image

As per PM request, here are detail shots of the LS underbarrel rail, so you can see how smooth it is. Forgive quality, they were taken on my cellphone, as the digicam had already been returned to it's owner.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Datafortress 2020, the largest and most comprehensive Cyberpunk 2020 site in the world, home of Interlock Unlimited:
http://datafortress2020.110mb.com/

#2 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:38 PM

As I've said before my friend, I like this alot.

I do have one question. What paint did you use?

#3 wisdom000

wisdom000

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:04 PM

Krylon indoor/outdoor Italian Olive with satin finish, Krylon fusion black with Satin Finish, and Krylon hammered texture black for the barrel, magazine, trigger, charging handles (made with soda bottle caps), and other "supposed-to-be-bare-metal" parts.

All spray paints. For touch up work, I spray a hefty amount of the pain into a jar or small bottle.

For some of the other guns I use metallic sharpies or paint pens for detail work.

I wish I had the patience to go the hand painting route, unfortunately I do not.
Datafortress 2020, the largest and most comprehensive Cyberpunk 2020 site in the world, home of Interlock Unlimited:

#4 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:21 PM

Krylon indoor/outdoor Italian Olive with satin finish, Krylon fusion black with Satin Finish, and Krylon hammered texture black for the barrel, magazine, trigger, charging handles (made with soda bottle caps), and other "supposed-to-be-bare-metal" parts.

All spray paints. For touch up work, I spray a hefty amount of the pain into a jar or small bottle.

For some of the other guns I use metallic sharpies or paint pens for detail work.

I wish I had the patience to go the hand painting route, unfortunately I do not.

You'll learn in due time. Try it on your scout and see how it goes. Start small and work up, see what happens. I started with my LS, but thats because I'm used to models.

#5 Possemhunter

Possemhunter

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:26 PM

Nice work! I'll have to try this myself.

#6 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:29 PM

This really col! It kinda has the concept that the recon had, how you can customize the gun with removeable accessories.
The yellow balls are also slightly smaller in diameter than the green ones.

#7 Heedfulkiller

Heedfulkiller

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:03 PM

Where's the trigger for the LSFG?

I still love this!
"THEY RUN AROUND, PLAY AROUND, AND EAT PEOPLE!"
my little brother explaining a small dinosaur

"I BUILT A TACO, A METAL TACO!"
another quote from my little brother

#8 Salindin Naz

Salindin Naz

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:43 PM

You claim not to have the patience for hand painting, yet you must spend half the day tapping. Wow, when I saw your work in the PJ/Mods thread I didn't think you were all spray, that sir is some nice spray work. I don't know how you guys do it with spray paint. I must just REALLY suck a tapping. Any way, I like this mod, and I may have to adapt the way you used the top of the LS sidearm, I like the way it changes the shape of the gun.

Salindin

#9 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:00 PM

Damn. You know, I hate those people who always post in a thread and only say "You stole my idea," or "Damn, I was just thinking of doing this," or they start pulling out photographic evidence, "Look, look, I came up with it first," but in all honesty, I'm going to be one of those people right now. I have been kicking this idea around for a while now, and I must say, it is nice to see it put into use and put into use well. I was considering more functional adaptions, rather than cosmetics, but the concept is all there. But yeah, I was thinking more, modular 2k intigration, front gun (and I know you made one, I'm just saying), and anything else I could think of. But again, great job, it all looks great. And yes, I do hate those people, but I'm not kidding, I've been considering this...

Now that I see it, I have to put it to use.

And Salindin, taping isn't bad when you do it a lot...it does take a bit of time though to get it just right. All my pj's are tape jobs.
QUOTE(TxNerfer @ Nov 13 2010, 12:42 PM) View Post

Hey...I got a crazy idea: how about you stop all that sigging stuff? It's not even my thread and it annoys me.

#10 deadshooter711

deadshooter711

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:10 PM

I like this a lot. But how do you fire the Front gun once it's on? Anyway, I'm gonna do this.

My Nerf War Pictures

IT'S EVERYWHERE!

#11 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:11 PM

...that sir is some nice spray work....

Sigable, unfortunately I already like my sig.

On topic, although I can relate to diamondbacknf1626, this is a really cool idea, like a simpler version of the LS/DTB mobile integration.

#12 wisdom000

wisdom000

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:22 PM

Thanks everyone.

As for the fg trigger. I cut down the stock trigger mech (the orange piece the "handle/trigger" slides into), and wrapped/attached a piece of hangar wire to it, so it comes down like a normal trigger.

Then I added the ear piece of an old pair of sunglasses so I wouldn't cut myself and for comfort.

You can kind of see it sticking out in the picture of all the accessories. I will try and take some pictures of it, but since I had to glue on the rails, as well as covers for the back, I can't take it apart to show internals.

Since I am pretty much out of nerf guns I am interested in, I am planning on scratch-building something pretty cool.

#13 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:32 PM

Basically, all the "Functional" attachments consist of a secondary weapon. I disagree, but back to that later.

What is so wrong with Aesthetics these days? Involving the Longshot, especially. I mean, it's a good gun, and aesthetically improving is one of those can't-go-wrong combinations.
I can see why people dislike sharpshooter-style or muzzle-braked barrels. They reduce performance and whatnot. However, I appreciate them for their aesthetic qualities. Same for the scope and such.

Back to my other note, a functional attachment could possibly be ammunition storage or an air tank, should someone actually decide to replace the Longshot internals with an air gun's.

Anyway, I'll end my rant there.

As I said to Wisdom earlier, this is a nice modification.

And you did a great job with the paint, especially considering it's a spray job.
QUOTE(NerfUK @ May 8 2009, 11:54 AM) View Post

(I forgot to take a picture of my own poppers)

QUOTE(analogkid @ May 20 2009, 10:04 PM) View Post

Every size rod you could ever want.

#14 Greed

Greed

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:51 PM

You claim not to have the patience for hand painting, yet you must spend half the day tapping. Wow, when I saw your work in the PJ/Mods thread I didn't think you were all spray, that sir is some nice spray work. I don't know how you guys do it with spray paint. I must just REALLY suck a tapping. Any way, I like this mod, and I may have to adapt the way you used the top of the LS sidearm, I like the way it changes the shape of the gun.

Salindin

It's taping.
1. Now owns and wears a speedo.
2. Operates under 17 layers of psychological subterfuge/warfare/guile.
3. Is a master at rock-paper-scissors.
4. Hates everything. Just ask.
5. Likes his Gengar.

#15 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:53 AM

I think my original point may have been misunderstood. I was not trying to say that the cosmetic additions are bad. By all means, go for it. I love the look of some of those (The top piece of the front gun cut and upside down in the forgrip). All I was saying was that when I had thought of doing such a thing, I had considered more functional adaptions. However, that's just my personal preference. Honestly, all of the attachments look pretty cool, and I like the variation you incorporated.

I said it before, but nice work.
QUOTE(TxNerfer @ Nov 13 2010, 12:42 PM) View Post

Hey...I got a crazy idea: how about you stop all that sigging stuff? It's not even my thread and it annoys me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users