Photo

Spring Powered Nerf Pocket Scatter (s.p.n.p.s.)

an incredibly easy to make Nerf Dart Scatter

36 replies to this topic

#1 NerfUK

NerfUK

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:54 AM

First of all, I would like to thank cxwq for validating me. This is my first post so let me know if I make any mistakes. Questions, comments and constructive criticism are welcome.

Background Info

A shop near me is having a closing down sale. While wandering around something caught my eye. 'Twas a box of spring powered party poppers. I bought a couple of boxes (each containing 12 poppers) and had an idea.

Write up

Here is one of the boxes:
Posted Image
Here is a similar popper on its own: (I forgot to take a picture of my own poppers)
Posted Image

Step one: Cut off all the labels and stickers. Also rip of the card circle on the top and pour out the bits of coloured confetti. Below are 12 (1 box full) without labels, stickers, card tops and confetti:
Posted Image

Step two: Load in seven darts like so:
Posted Image
This is now ready to be fired.

Step three - Firing: Twist the base clockwise (like you would with a glue stick) to fire.

Internals

The internals of these things is unsurprisingly simple. It is made up of only four pieces:

This is the twisty base and also part of the catch:
Posted Image

This is what the catch catches on and also what pushes the dart out:
Posted Image

This is the really strong spring:
Posted Image

This is what it is all housed inside:
Posted Image

Here is a picture of how the insides catch:
Posted Image

And here it is after being fired:
Posted Image

Reloading

1. Pull apart the twisty base from the housing.
2. Put spring back on twisty base.
3. Place the thing that hits the dart on the spring.
4. Push it down and twist it until it catches.
5. Put housing back on and push down until it clicks twice.

It is now ready to have darts loaded into it and be fired again.

Range Test

All these shots were fired at waist height, 40" (3.3' ) at a 45° angle. There are five sets of seven results (five shots). The hall I tested it in is 33" (2.8' )in width, so some of the darts bounced off the walls, killing the range. Spread is around 36" (3.0' ). I am sure better ranges and a tighter spread could be achieved with Stefan’s. Range could also be improved if it were held at shoulder height instead of waist height. Results are as follows:

Set 1
1. 175" (14.6' )
2. 180" (15.0' )
3. 194" (16.2' )
4. 200" (16.7' )
5. 205" (17.1' )
6. 223" (18.6' )
7. 228" (19.0' )
Average: 200" (16.7)

Set 2
1. 224" (18.6' )
2. 225" (18.0' )
3. 231" (19.4' )
4. 232" (19.3' )
5. 239" (19.9' )
6. 240" (20.0' )
7. 250" (20.8' )
Average: 234" (19.5' )

Set 3
1. 143" (11.9' )
2. 202" (16.8' )
3. 205" (17.1' )
4. 206" (17.2' )
5. 207" (17.3' )
6. 222" (18.5' )
7. 239" (19.9' )
Average: 203" (16.9' )

Set 4
1. 167" (13.9' )
2. 172" (14.3' )
3. 178" (14.8' )
4. 182" (15.2' )
5. 211" (17.6' )
6. 227" (18.9' )
7. 233" (19.4' )
Average: 195" (16.3')

Set 5
1. 201" (16.8' )
2. 213" (17.8' )
3. 218" (18.2' )
4. 223" (18.6' )
5. 227" (18.9' )
6. 228" (19.0' )
7. 245" (20.4' )
Average: 222" (18.5')

Total average: 211" (17.6')

Overall I an very pleased with these things, considering how little they cost and how quick they are to produce.

Edited by NerfUK, 09 May 2009 - 05:35 AM.

There's a rule here that says don't post unless you have nothing to say and you obviously had nothing to say.

Talio.

We all make mistakes.

#2 umpshaplapa

umpshaplapa

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:14 PM

What's an estimate of the range?
QUOTE(Talio @ Jun 29 2009, 01:50 PM) View Post

i got a black belt in noob banning in 2004.

#3 NerfUK

NerfUK

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:22 PM

What's an estimate of the range?

I have not yet formerly tested the range but just eyeballing it, about 30-35'

Edited by NerfUK, 08 May 2009 - 12:23 PM.

There's a rule here that says don't post unless you have nothing to say and you obviously had nothing to say.

Talio.

We all make mistakes.

#4 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:10 PM

I wouldn't call this a grenade so much as a small shotgun/scatter cannon.

A grenade is something you can throw/launch some distance from yourself that then detonates either on impact or on some sort of time delay, spraying an area with shrapnel/other harmful substance/effect. Since you have to hold this and twist it to get it to fire, it doesn't really qualify as a grenade.

Now, if you could somehow rig the catch to release upon striking the ground, you'd have something there.
Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#5 xbox180

xbox180

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:13 PM

I had done this at my New Years party, I just never got around to posting it.

The spring in there is great for NF's.
"Congrats on Buy a Peice of Plastic thats most likely older than you, for half- a grand, your awesome man." Nerf Monkey

My Webpage
MY Youtube

#6 NerfUK

NerfUK

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:27 PM

I had done this at my New Years party, I just never got around to posting it.
The spring in there is great for NF's.

Thanks for the comment. What kind of range did yours get?

Ambience 327 Posted Today, 07:10 PM

I wouldn't call this a grenade so much as a small shotgun/scatter cannon.

A grenade is something you can throw/launch some distance from yourself that then detonates either on impact or on some sort of time delay, spraying an area with shrapnel/other harmful substance/effect. Since you have to hold this and twist it to get it to fire, it doesn't really qualify as a grenade.

Now, if you could somehow rig the catch to release upon striking the ground, you'd have something there.

Thanks for the input. I have changed the name of the topic accordingly. It would be very difficult to trigger it in the way you described because the base needs to turn 180 degrees to fire. If you can suggest how I could do it, please PM me.

EDIT: Range test coming soon!

Edited by NerfUK, 08 May 2009 - 01:29 PM.

Talio.

We all make mistakes.

#7 oh1134

oh1134

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:12 PM

You are a genius. They are selling the ones in the picture at oriental trading. This would be PERFECT for integration.

#8 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:24 PM

Thanks for the input. I have changed the name of the topic accordingly. It would be very difficult to trigger it in the way you described because the base needs to turn 180 degrees to fire. If you can suggest how I could do it, please PM me.

Nothing comes to mind, but I have been giving it some thought. If I come up with anything, I'll be sure to share it. I'd really love to see something come of this, since these are so inexpensive, and pretty much pre-made for us. If we could work out a way to turn them into true grenades, they might just find a place in a few arsenals.

As oh1134 pointed out, these might be useful as integration fodder. One question though - are you sure about the 180 degree turn for firing? It looks more like a 90 degree turn from the pics.

I ask because I think if someone wanted to add one or more of these on to a gun as a scattergun integration, that adding a small handle to the base would make it far easier to fire. How this handle would be incorporated, and were it would fit for integration, would depend on whether this is truly a 90 degree or 180 degree turn.
Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#9 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:34 PM

I'm doubtful that these are capable of shooting darts to useful distances.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#10 Capten Karat

Capten Karat

• Banned
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:01 PM

I did something similar with a plunger tube from a broken longshot:
Posted Image

I don't know about 35 foot ranges but, i can pack small pieces of fbr down the barrel, to use it as a "grenade" I pull the "pin" out (ls priming handle) and throw it, but the problem is it has to land on the plunger to fire, which is seldom.
Take of your thinking caps, and put on your ALGEBRAINS!

#11 NerfUK

NerfUK

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:21 PM

oh1134 Posted Today, 08:12 PM
You are a genius. They are selling the ones in the picture at oriental trading. This would be PERFECT for integration.

Thank you for your kind words and suggestions, although I would not call myself a 'genius'

Ambience 327 Posted Today, 08:24 PM
QUOTE(NerfUK @ May 8 2009, 02:27 PM)

Nothing comes to mind, but I have been giving it some thought. If I come up with anything, I'll be sure to share it. I'd really love to see something come of this, since these are so inexpensive, and pretty much pre-made for us. If we could work out a way to turn them into true grenades, they might just find a place in a few arsenals.

As oh1134 pointed out, these might be useful as integration fodder. One question though - are you sure about the 180 degree turn for firing? It looks more like a 90 degree turn from the pics.

I ask because I think if someone wanted to add one or more of these on to a gun as a scattergun integration, that adding a small handle to the base would make it far easier to fire. How this handle would be incorporated, and were it would fit for integration, would depend on whether this is truly a 90 degree or 180 degree turn.

Sorry, yes I did mean 90 degrees. Also that is a very interesting idea about adding a handle and using them for integrations. Thanks again for the input.

CaptainSlug Posted Today, 08:34 PM
I'm doubtful that these are capable of shooting darts to useful distances.

Thanks for the warm welcome <_<. These were intended for CQC and indoors in general.

Capten Karat Posted Today, 10:01 PM

I don't know about 35 foot ranges but, i can pack small pieces of fbr down the barrel, to use it as a "grenade" I pull the "pin" out (ls priming handle) and throw it, but the problem is it has to land on the plunger to fire, which is seldom.

I'm sure with some fine tuning you could get your prototype off the ground.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Talio.

We all make mistakes.

#12 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:32 PM

Posted Image

Put fins on it like the lanard grenade and maybe a weight on the plunger. That might help it land correctly more often.
"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#13 bigred1rifleman

bigred1rifleman

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:15 PM

Posted Image

Adding weight (to the plunger rod) will probably help it land correctly, fins would also help (if added correctly along with the wieghts).

EDIT: Oops, I guess VA beat me to it, my bad...

Finn

Edited by bigred1rifleman, 08 May 2009 - 09:16 PM.

#14 balisticjoe

balisticjoe

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:34 PM

I have actually experimented with these before. They do work ok-but i prefer to use them for there springs. The way I tried to get them to land and fire is put a bunch of weights in the bottom of the handle,and to twist it almost all of the way-then throw it hitting the ground with enough force to allow it to fire.
There Are No Stupid Questions, But There Are A Lot Of Inquisitive Idiots.

#15 Capten Karat

Capten Karat

• Banned
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:21 PM

I'm going to try to go to the store tomorrow and get some weights to put on the plunger rod. I'm not really fond of the fin idea, for my playing style. I mean I'm just worried because I don't want the fins to hurt anyone.

I also did range tests, shot out of my pocket it was getting 5ft with 4 stefans, and 15ft holding it., also with 4 stefans.

P.S. Nerf UK, sorry if I'm hi-jacking your thread.

Edited by Capten Karat, 09 May 2009 - 02:04 PM.

Take of your thinking caps, and put on your ALGEBRAINS!

#16 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:31 PM

(I forgot to take a picture of my own poppers)

First off, added that hilarious quote to my signature, while playing with my butthole.

Secondly, I can see how this can be useful in indoor wars. It's cheap, effective, and come on, man! It's a damned micro scatter cannon!

As for grenade firing, I'd suggest turning the firing key to a near-fire position (Slightly short of firing) and throwing. It's not gonna be 100%, but it should jar it enough to fire.
I've made confetti-nades like this before.
QUOTE(NerfUK @ May 8 2009, 11:54 AM) View Post

QUOTE(analogkid @ May 20 2009, 10:04 PM) View Post

Every size rod you could ever want.

#17 Nerf 808

Nerf 808

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:15 AM

That looks like it has potential to be a Underslung Shotgun like weapon, like SchizophrenicMC said, in an indoors war, it would be a major contender.

Imagine this.....

you are shooting at some one, he ducks to reload, you rush, only to find out he had the S.P.N.P.S Underslung, and thats game, your out.
Nerf 808 and The HNF Nerf Team

#18 Vinnie D

Vinnie D

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:19 AM

Man, these look great for assassin games. Maybe not so much for offense, but as a defensive measure when you're the target, it would be awesome. When you see someone pull a SSPB or a minimized Nitefinder, you quickly scattershot and run. Even if they don't land a hit, that many darts coming their way would gorce your opponent to at least duck.

Maybe for a grenade function, consider some kind of break way pin. Turn it to firing position, with only a small fragile pin (maybe a toothpick) keeping it from firing, so that an impact is all it takes to break or dislodge the pin.

Even better if you could make a battery of these things, and rig them with a pull cord or a tripwire. Nerf Mines. I see integration possibilities as well. Just like those 20mm airburst guns built into the U.N.'s assault rifles.

#19 NerfUK

NerfUK

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:53 AM

balisticjoe Posted Today, 03:34 AM
I have actually experimented with these before. They do work ok-but i prefer to use them for there springs. The way I tried to get them to land and fire is put a bunch of weights in the bottom of the handle,and to twist it almost all of the way-then throw it hitting the ground with enough force to allow it to fire.

Interesting idea, but I am not sure I trust the catch enough to do that. It would probably go off prematurely. Can you suggest what guns I could use the springs for?

Capten Karat Posted Today, 05:21 AM

P.S. Nerf UK, sorry if I'm hi-jacking your thread.

It's ok because it is a similar idea and I have no problem with people trying to help you with it.

SchizophrenicMC Posted Today, 05:31 AM
QUOTE(NerfUK @ May 8 2009, 11:54 AM)

First off, added that hilarious quote to my signature, while playing with my butthole.

Secondly, I can see how this can be useful in indoor wars. It's cheap, effective, and come on, man! It's a damned micro scatter cannon!

As for grenade firing, I'd suggest turning the firing key to a near-fire position (Slightly short of firing) and throwing. It's not gonna be 100%, but it should jar it enough to fire.
I've made confetti-nades like this before.

Yes, these are very cheap. I paid a total of about £5.50 for 2 boxes (12 in each). As I said to balisticjoe, interesting idea, but I am not sure I trust the catch enough to do that. It would probably go off prematurely.

Nerf 808 Posted Today, 08:15 AM
That looks like it has potential to be a Underslung Shotgun like weapon, like SchizophrenicMC said, in an indoors war, it would be a major contender.

Imagine this.....

you are shooting at some one, he ducks to reload, you rush, only to find out he had the S.P.N.P.S Underslung, and thats game, your out.

That is exactly the scene I pictured in my head when I was testing them out a couple of days ago.

Vinnie D. Posted Today, 08:19 AM
Man, these look great for assassin games. Maybe not so much for offense, but as a defensive measure when you're the target, it would be awesome. When you see someone pull a SSPB or a minimized Nitefinder, you quickly scattershot and run. Even if they don't land a hit, that many darts coming their way would gorce your opponent to at least duck.

Maybe for a grenade function, consider some kind of break way pin. Turn it to firing position, with only a small fragile pin (maybe a toothpick) keeping it from firing, so that an impact is all it takes to break or dislodge the pin.

Even better if you could make a battery of these things, and rig them with a pull cord or a tripwire. Nerf Mines. I see integration possibilities as well. Just like those 20mm airburst guns built into the U.N.'s assault rifles.

I am not sure I fully understand the idea with the toothpick. Would you be so kind as to provide me with a paint drawing?

Talio.

We all make mistakes.

#20 Vinnie D

Vinnie D

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 04:41 AM

I'm not familiar enough with the workings myself really, so it was just a vague idea. Sorry.

#21 NerfUK

NerfUK

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 05:29 AM

I'm not familiar enough with the workings myself really, so it was just a vague idea. Sorry.

Ok. Not a problem, thanks anyway.

EDIT: Range test is up!

Edited by NerfUK, 09 May 2009 - 05:31 AM.

Talio.

We all make mistakes.

#22 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:27 AM

I myself have one or two of these party poppers. The springs are very good strong but you have to realize what they are made for. The springs used in party poppers will mostly likely have good strength and durability at first, yet they will wear down much faster than the a spring intended to go thorough chronic use. I am pretty sure what I said is right, but it may be wrong.

#23 NerfUK

NerfUK

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 12:10 PM

I myself have one or two of these party poppers. The springs are very good strong but you have to realize what they are made for. The springs used in party poppers will mostly likely have good strength and durability at first, yet they will wear down much faster than the a spring intended to go thorough chronic use. I am pretty sure what I said is right, but it may be wrong.

Thanks for the info. But the longevity of these springs is not a major worry for me as I have 24 of them at the moment, so they are easily replacable.

Talio.

We all make mistakes.

#24 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:55 PM

Well, longevity really isn't an issue. They're cheap and plentiful, and the conversion is fairly simple. Even if it only fires 10 times and disintegrates, I'm still a happy man.
QUOTE(NerfUK @ May 8 2009, 11:54 AM) View Post

QUOTE(analogkid @ May 20 2009, 10:04 PM) View Post

Every size rod you could ever want.

#25 Pokechan

Pokechan

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:37 AM

This is a very good idea for an underside "Dart shotgun launcher" or something like that. Can you say more specific details on where to get then, what brand they are, etc? I really want to purchase some of these.
QUOTE(crispy @ Jul 21 2009, 04:58 PM) View Post

Talio you just love to eat your own shit don't you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users