Guide To Glues

I haven't seen one so here it is.

21 replies to this topic

#1 lastmanstanding

lastmanstanding

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:54 PM

Hi guys. This is my first post and I didn't want it to be that stupid and useless so I decided to do it about something I could use myself. That thing just happens to be... Glue! That's right this is the Guide to Glues. Also if you know about any glues that aren't posted please PM me or write it in this topic. Also if you would like to add anything just give me a holler. (If it says coming soon I have not yet used the glue and need your help to fill it!) Hope this helps!

Gorilla Glue: Very messy expanding foam that isn't very clean. It isn't very strong for holding things to gether but for filling up cracks and sealing leaks it is great.

Plumber's Goop: A very good glue commonly used for leaks in air guns. For any seal what so ever trust your goop! Although this glue is rather expensive and takes a generous time to dry it can be a pain. This also cannot glue a coupler to a blaster for it is weak in my books. Easy to work with and a great glue!

Jb Weld: REALLY powerful. I've heard its been used to repair industrial machines. A little dab is super strong. It's best used for repairs, (eg- Re-gluing a Manta Ray wing on, Reattaching a pump, etc) as it take a few minutes to set and is weak while setting. Don't fool around with it, because that shit's permanent.- Echnalaid

Hot Glue: Used mostly for making darts this is important glue. Not much strength in stability but for filling up dead space it works like a charm. Sadly on high heat settings it can burn/warp PETG and foam. Other than that cheap quick drying and a glue that can be used for jobs no other glue could do hot glue is the way to go.

Epoxy: Well there are many different types and brands of epoxy but most of them reek awesomeness! This is a heavy duty glue that can get ANY coupler on or fuse to pieces of plastics together. I personally think it is expensive and very hard to works with but those are the only downs of epoxy.

Fishin' Glue: Angel tends to use this glue oftenly and it is a great super glue from what I have heard of it. I have had no experience with it but it can do some heavy duty stuff! It's only use is to fuze to things together because it is a superglue. From my experience with super glues they come out quick and over all annoying.

Zap-a-Gap: Coming soon

Gel Crazy Glue: I use it to attach heavy duty stuff like LS priming handles, pumps, and securing other items. It isn't a great space filler, but it definitely has a strong bond.- iMod1

Stick Fast Glues: These "super" glues are triple distilled to a level of purity that guarantees long shelf life and permanent bonding power for virtually any material in the shop. These non-toxic adhesives are perfect for repairing broken glassware and ceramics, reattaching keyboard keys, building models, salvaging favorite toys and so on.- highlandworking.com

Edited by lastmanstanding, 12 May 2009 - 07:50 PM.

#2 Echnalaid

Echnalaid

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:33 AM

I have something for JB Weld-
REALLY powerful. I've heard its been used to repair industrial machines. A little dab is super strong. It's best used for repairs, (eg- Re-gluing a Manta Ray wing on, Reattaching a pump, etc) as it take a few minutes to set and is weak while setting. Don't fool around with it, because that shit's permanent.

Edited by Echnalaid, 08 May 2009 - 12:33 AM.

There was something on the bottom of the ad that said erotyka. Sounds like something spicy -Renegademilitia15

#3 1337

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:59 AM

Plumber's Goop: A very good glue commonly used for leaks in air guns. For any seal what so ever trust your goop! Although this glue is rather expensive and takes a generous time to dry it can be a pain. This also cannot glue a coupler to a blaster for it is weak in my books. Easy to work with and a great glue!

Plumber's goop is weak? I've NEVER had plumbers goop break. It's one of the strongest glues.
Join the REVOLUTION!

#4 Darken

Darken

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:14 AM

Awesome guide. I might have to pick up some of that JB Weld. Both Epoxy and Plumbers Goop have failed me over before. I tried using epoxy to put back together the tooth part of my LS breech, and I had it perfectly placed and perfectly done, and had it dry for two days. 5 shots later the thing broke clean off.

#5 Capten Karat

Capten Karat

• Banned
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:29 AM

What about Liquid nails?
Take of your thinking caps, and put on your ALGEBRAINS!

#6 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:02 AM

http://projectnerf.com/wiki/Adhesives

Feel free to edit and update this article.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#7 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:00 AM

REALLY powerful. I've heard its been used to repair industrial machines. A little dab is super strong. It's best used for repairs, (eg- Re-gluing a Manta Ray wing on, Reattaching a pump, etc) as it take a few minutes to set and is weak while setting. Don't fool around with it, because that shit's permanent.

Also a note on JB Weld, it does NOT bond to brass well, works great on plastics, bad on brass.

#8 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:43 AM

Also a note on JB Weld, it does NOT bond to brass well, works great on plastics, bad on brass.

Nothing works well on brass. The only way to attach brass to anything is the TIG weld it to copper, solder it to brass or copper, or braze two brass parts together.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#9 DYonch

DYonch

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:10 PM

How about DAP...

http://www.dap.com/

I hear that it is really powerful but can cause brain damage if you use it in a non-ventilated area.

#10 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:39 PM

Nothing works well on brass. The only way to attach brass to anything is the TIG weld it to copper, solder it to brass or copper, or braze two brass parts together.

I've found that Arraldite works well on brass. Well, plastic to brass to be precise.

#11 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:58 PM

How about DAP...

http://www.dap.com/

I hear that it is really powerful but can cause brain damage if you use it in a non-ventilated area.

DAP is a brand, not a glue. Their stock appears to be mostly contact adhesives, contact cements, and epoxies.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#12 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:11 PM

Also for JB Weld you have to roughen up the surfaces you are about to adhere, or else they will snap cleanly off. This has happened to me by simply twisting my barrel out of the coupler in my pistolsplat, and the coupler came clean off. This was easily fixed by sanding the parts then JB Welding it.
The yellow balls are also slightly smaller in diameter than the green ones.

#13 taiki

taiki

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:09 PM

What about mighty putty?

I've seen the stuff finally in stores now, and it's even at my local Fry's Electronics impulse buy area.

I've got my doubts, but I'd rather have solid results than idle speculation.

#14 iMod1

iMod1

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:39 PM

I would think maybe the gel version of crazy glue is a good addition. I use it to attach heavy duty stuff like LS priming handles, pumps, and securing other items. It isn't a great space filler, but it definitely has a strong bond.
-iMod
A computer once beat me at chess, but after that it was no match for me at kick boxing.

#15 atomatron

atomatron

• Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:30 PM

I would like to know: what glue/putty works best for brass?
Perche Germolgi. [Because it shoots]

Rainbow Clan

#16 umpshaplapa

umpshaplapa

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:39 PM

I use this, in the thick variety. It has NEVER broken on my. Dries pretty fast as well. I used it to attach a bolt sled to my angel breech and it worked perfectly.
QUOTE(Talio @ Jun 29 2009, 01:50 PM) View Post

i got a black belt in noob banning in 2004.

#17 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:16 PM

not that great though, It broke when I used it to make a nitefinder plunger rod out of polycarbonate.

Any ways, onto zap-a-gap:
Basically a really strong super glue that fills in the extra space. Never failed me when I use it correctly. But make sure to sand, clean, etc. everything, or this glue (as well as most glues) aren't going to do anything. Also I like this because you only have to use a tiny bit of it. Although not required, I recommend reinforcing it, maybe just with hot glue, because if the joint bends it WILL break. Also for any sort of awkward joint (like gluing a round object to a round object) this isn't too good.

And puddy:
Basically an EXTREMELY strong clay. Although not good for barrel replacements, couplings, etc. this is the stuff for reinforcing, cosmetically modifying, and just for awkward situations that don't require air tightness. However if you don't sand/clean the objects correctly it will snap off before you know it.
In short: Good for reinforcing and cosmetics, not good for airtight glue.

Edited by wing'd man, 11 May 2009 - 08:22 PM.

#18 lastmanstanding

lastmanstanding

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:37 PM

Thanks for all your post guys! Also I will keep this the guide to glues and not the guide to putty. If you want me to add something please state the exact glue, name, and a description. I hope this topic gets pinned!

Edited by lastmanstanding, 12 May 2009 - 07:46 PM.

#19 umpshaplapa

umpshaplapa

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:23 PM

Thanks for all your post guys! Also I will keep this the guide to glues and not the guide to putty. If you want me to add something please state the exact glue name and a description. I hope this topic gets pinned!

The glue in the link I posted is called Stick Fast. It comes in varying amounts of liquid-ness, the least being "thin" and the most being almost like a gel. You can see a detailed description at that link.

#20 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:39 PM

What about mighty putty?

I've seen the stuff finally in stores now, and it's even at my local Fry's Electronics impulse buy area.

I've got my doubts, but I'd rather have solid results than idle speculation.

I've heard that Loctite brand epoxy putty is stronger, better stuff. Having used the Loctite, I can say with confidence that it is indeed strong, but I don't know how it compares to Mighty Putty (though I am a big fan of Billy Mays).

Also, check out some of the hobby brand CA glues, a lot of them are supposed to be specially formulated for certain materials. I have found especially that this stuff: http://www3.towerhob...p?&I=LXFHY0&P=7 is great for plastic to plastic bonds and is usually less brittle than your garden variety CA/Super glue.

#21 Hoceky

Hoceky

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:02 PM

Zap a Gap is the same thing as Fishin glue. They just have different labels.
meh.

#22 umpshaplapa

umpshaplapa

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:22 AM

Pretty much any CA adhesive will work, just make sure not to get a watered down one. The one I use is 99% pure I think.
EDIT- I clicked my link and It's 99.5%.

Edited by umpshaplapa, 13 May 2009 - 12:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users