Need help for science project

1 reply to this topic

#1 nerfbazooka

nerfbazooka

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 03:18 PM

Hi,

My daughter's doing a science fair project. It's a spinoff of her older brother's construction of a crossbow.

We are using an unmodified Nerf Tech Target gun. Its SKU (barcode) is 7693045518.

What we would like to know is the initial muzzle velocity of the thing.

We are using a projectile motion Java applet found online. It lets you see a trajectory with a given mass, initial velocity, and angle of elevation. It even allows you to check the effects of drag as an option.

We have found that drag is very important. The darts slow down greatly due to wind resistance. Right now we are experimenting with different shapes for the warhead. All of these weigh 1.98 grams.

I'm using this forum as a back-up in case Hasbro doesn't come through with the specs in time. We would like to have the results in meters/sec, but feet/sec or even mph would be fine.

We are using home-made darts of 1.98 g each.

Does any one have a ballistics pendulum? Just curious--it's not something that a 5th grader would know about.

--Grateful father

#2 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 04:02 PM

Nobody here is likely to have a ballistics pendulum since the materials needed plus a scale accurate enough to make proper use of one would cost about as much as a $60 handheld chrono. They do make fun physics demonstrations though!

I'd suggest visiting your local paintball shop with your gun and ask them if they can help you out with the measurement. Anybody who works on PB guns will have a chrono handy to keep their velocity legal.

Cool project, best of luck!
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users