Problem With Dart Making

28 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_undercoverishowiroll_*

Guest_undercoverishowiroll_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:30 PM

Hello

Ok, so I went to Lowes just a minute ago and bought some FBR and washers. The problem is when I try to hotglue the washers on, the fbr melts. Someone please help me.

Thanks

Edited by undercoverishowiroll, 06 May 2009 - 09:31 PM.

#2 Spartan 117

Spartan 117

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:32 PM

Either get a different FBR, or get a lower temperature glue gun.
The enrichment center reminds you that the weighted companion cube cannot speak. In the event that it does speak, we urge you to disregard it's advice.

#3 JATDO

JATDO

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:35 PM

You NEED a low temp hot glue gun.
Or if you use a HIGH temp within the first 5 minutes of it heating up it isnt going to burn the FBR as much.

Edited by JATDO, 06 May 2009 - 09:35 PM.

I remember when some girl in my English 101 class in college tried to cite The Onion as a source for her paper. The teacher lol'd.
The only time I got hit was when my spotter got hit and the enemy team realized there was a marksman in the bushes

#4 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts
  • State:Maine

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:36 PM

SwifTNerf's foam will never melt at hot glue temperatures, just pop with pressure (poking holes with the gun). It's the only foam that I have had that has not even moved a little with the introduction of the melted glue.

Don't switch to Mile high foam, though. It's horrible with heat, and turns into a horrible black mess.
QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

If at first you don't succeed, add more epoxy.

#5 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,070 posts
  • NerfHaven Subscription Supporter
  • State:Minnesota

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:09 PM

Don't switch to Mile high foam, though. It's horrible with heat, and turns into a horrible black mess.

Mile high black works fine as long as you use a low-temp glue gun.

#6 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:23 AM

Hello

Ok, so I went to Lowes just a minute ago and bought some FBR and washers. The problem is when I try to hotglue the washers on, the fbr melts. Someone please help me.

Thanks

You didn't watch the video did you.
If you are using washers as weights than YOU MUST ALSO USE FELT DISCS. Sticking just a metal washer onto the tip of your dart is not safe and makes painful darts.
When you do use felt discs, both a high or low temp glue gun will work fine provided you apply it to the washer/felt and let it sit a second or so before attaching the blank.

See my signature for the video.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#7 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts
  • State:Virginia

Posted 07 May 2009 - 01:22 AM

Both hot glue and Liquid Nails aren't flexible enough to prevent shattering and dart heads falling off. Also, hot glue tends to be expensive.

Ice9 and I make our CS-style darts using ACE Construction Adhesive, which is a cheap polyurethane adhesive. While it isn't the best choice for high load-bearing applications, the flexibility and impact resistance of polyurethane means it's great for darts.

The only disadvantage is that application is fairly messy. (Messier than Liquid Nails. Cleaner than molten hotgluefoam.)
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#8 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:13 AM

Don't blame the foam for your inability to correctly make stefans.

I have made easily over 7000 stefans out of Mile High with hot glue and I have melted perhaps 10 and never into a "Horrible Black Mess" just deformed the tips a bit because I put too much glue in too fast.

A LOW TEMP glue gun is ESSENTIAL to making stefans in either the felt/washer method or the BB/Hot Glue method.

#9 Guest_undercoverishowiroll_*

• Guests

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:38 AM

Hello

Thanks

You didn't watch the video did you.
If you are using washers as weights than YOU MUST ALSO USE FELT DISCS. Sticking just a metal washer onto the tip of your dart is not safe and makes painful darts.
When you do use felt discs, both a high or low temp glue gun will work fine provided you apply it to the washer/felt and let it sit a second or so before attaching the blank.

See my signature for the video.

I used uin13 video. Right HERE.

#10 Pearson2

Pearson2

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:09 AM

Also, hot glue tends to be expensive.

I usually pick up 15 - 20 glue sticks at the dollar store for $1.14 after taxes. I wouldn't really call that expensive.
Crooked: Did you see that guy who singled a doomsayer?

Pearson: Why would you single a doomsayer? Thats like taking a Ferarri and putting family seating in it.

#11 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:04 AM

Also, hot glue tends to be expensive.

I usually pick up 15 - 20 glue sticks at the dollar store for $1.14 after taxes. I wouldn't really call that expensive.

I use a high temperature mega hot-glue gun for all my stefans. It works just fine. I can get 25 mega colored hot glue sticks at my Michael for 4 dollars. Hot glue is in no way expensive. I have used mile high foam before and it works just fine just take a while to get oust to, so I got a low temperature hot glue gun and it worked fine. I use really, really dense foam though. Also if you are following ices video, you can have any of the washer exposed because then they will not allow you to use them in a war. So if you want to just use washers, make CS darts. Also I would suggest getting new foam. Hope this helps.
QUOTE(Zaxbys @ Mar 2 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
I won't be there til about 1-2...

Church... gotta soak up that Jesus!

NERFSTRONG #51

#12 ouch

ouch

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:19 PM

Hello

Thanks

I use a hot tempercher* glue gun and it does not effect my mile high fbr.
girls are like phones.They love to be held,talked too but if u press the rong button you"ll be disconnected

#13 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 01:02 PM

I used uin13 video. Right HERE.

1. He is a dumbass and should have deleted that video quite a while ago.
2. He used those once at Apoc last year and they hurt like hell.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#14 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:29 PM

you can have any of the washer exposed

Are we sure?
Also I've used his dart's in his BBB last summer and put my hand on the barrel and fired... it stung but airsoft is worse I've had a welt for over a week now from a shot from a pistol that stung like shit for atleast a min.

Edited by Shrub, 07 May 2009 - 03:30 PM.

Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#15 Capten Karat

Capten Karat

• Banned
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:55 PM

Try putting the glue on the washer first wait a bit then put the fbr on the washer.
Take of your thinking caps, and put on your ALGEBRAINS!

#16 jackster57

jackster57

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:19 PM

I have made easily over 7000 stefans out of Mile High with hot glue and I have melted perhaps 10 and never into a "Horrible Black Mess" just deformed the tips a bit because I put too much glue in too fast.

A LOW TEMP glue gun is ESSENTIAL to making stefans in either the felt/washer method or the BB/Hot Glue method.

Wes's Stefans are a better than yours will ever be. His are half the cost, use white easy to find foam, fly really straight and EVERY single one looks exactly the same. Also with my experience MileHigh foam tends to be quite soft and inconsistent.

#17 stun gun 88

stun gun 88

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:43 PM

Try putting the glue on the washer first wait a bit then put the fbr on the washer.

i know what your problem is this fbr is not only open cell but the cells are so big that you can melt the dart easyly get fbr from home depot

#18 Guest_undercoverishowiroll_*

• Guests

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:58 PM

i know what your problem is this fbr is not only open cell but the cells are so big that you can melt the dart easyly get fbr from home depot

I get mine from Lowes.

#19 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:17 PM

I have a low temp hot glue gun.

And don't insult my dart making ability. The only reason you melt so few is because you use an ammount of glue equivelent to the size of a ladybug in each dart. You don't even put any glue inside to secure the weights. Firing your darts out of my higher powered blasters would cause the weights to migrate from the front of the dart to the back. Also, hitting anything less than 40' would result in weights flying out the side, because you didn't secure the damn things. So don't give me any crap about my dart making ability. I've never broken one of my darts, but I've broken all of yours.
QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

#20 gameplayer20859

gameplayer20859

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:26 PM

I have never had that bad of a problem when making darts unless i let the hot glue gun sit for to long. So just don't let your gun sit to long and you'll be fine.
two of my cousins managed to superglue their foreheads togeather... don't ask

You could stick one anywhere.

assassinNF

Take on my brute.

#21 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:06 PM

I too can attest for what Wes has said. Now I would be interested in these cheaper/better than hereticorp darts.
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"

#22 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:22 PM

I have a low temp hot glue gun.

And don't insult my dart making ability. The only reason you melt so few is because you use an ammount of glue equivelent to the size of a ladybug in each dart. You don't even put any glue inside to secure the weights. Firing your darts out of my higher powered blasters would cause the weights to migrate from the front of the dart to the back. Also, hitting anything less than 40' would result in weights flying out the side, because you didn't secure the damn things. So don't give me any crap about my dart making ability. I've never broken one of my darts, but I've broken all of yours.

Actually, I use a good amount of glue on all my darts now, I'm sorry you got a batch with insufficient glue on them, however my darts are perfectly secured now.

And LSW/Shrub, die.

#23 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:50 PM

Hereticorp that's umm... very mature of you. Also just use autonerf's tutorial on dart making/
Favorite Quotes:

#24 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:07 PM

I too can attest for what Wes has said. Now I would be interested in these cheaper/better than hereticorp darts.

Not for sale online. I believe Icespartan was selling similar darts (same foam). To ship them, they would not be cheaper than Hereticorp's.

Hereticorp- I apologise, because you fixed the problem. No need to sound harsh or anything, I was just being defensive.

Now, lets please stop hijacking this thread.
QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

#25 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts
  • State:Virginia

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:51 PM

Polyurethane adhesive, guys.

No foam melting. No dart head cracking. No weights flying off.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users