Spackling Instead Of Bondo?

Would it work?

13 replies to this topic

#1 nerfnrg

nerfnrg

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 03:48 PM

I have been planning a pretty big project recently (I won't give any hints cause I want it to be a suprise.) and it's gonna have a lot of cosmetics and I am not sure if spackling is able to be used. My family and I jsut bought a whole bunch of spackling for patching up holes in our old house and I just thought, "Hmmm, maybe this could be used instead of Bondo." I just need to know if it is durable enough to be used to make cosmetics and what I should paint it with (preferrably a type of spray paint.) If you don't know what spackling looks like or the componets of it, I can get that information but my camera is currenly charging. Thanks.

~nrg
Snake51886~ "Beware everyone...t2 has openly admitted to fucking 14 year olds...."
VindictivePancake~ "i've seen hot 10 year olds" - T2heavy
t2hevey~ "yupp"

(\ /)
(='.'=) <--Me
(")_(")

#2 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 03:59 PM

No, spackle is like plaster. It is not a suitable addition to any nerf blaster. Bondo is even questionable.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#3 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 04:04 PM

Bondo is fine. However, you need to have patience while applying it. Use thin layers and allow it to dry, or else it'll develop cracks.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#4 nerfnrg

nerfnrg

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 04:40 PM

No, spackle is like plaster. It is not a suitable addition to any nerf blaster. Bondo is even questionable.

Well, I searched the term "Spackling" in the search function and some threads about boltsn1nper came up. He used spackling for making some PVC pipes look like they were one not two so I wasn't sure if I could use it for pretty big cosmeics.

~nrg
Snake51886~ "Beware everyone...t2 has openly admitted to fucking 14 year olds...."
t2hevey~ "yupp"

(\ /)
(='.'=) <--Me
(")_(")

#5 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:11 PM

You're right, I forgot that Bolt used spackle.

You'll have to check and make sure of the kind you're using, though, as some specifically say that they aren't for plastic. That, and if you're filling in a big area, the same guidelines would apply as for bondo: add small amounts, smooth out and sand, then apply more, or it'll dry badly.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#6 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:03 PM

I don't think spackle would be any good, and seeing as you can chip it off walls/ceilings, it probably wouldn't even stick to plastic.
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#7 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:54 PM

It's good for sanded PVC, but beyond that... Notsomuch.

Keep to the Bondo for your cosmetics.
QUOTE(NerfUK @ May 8 2009, 11:54 AM) View Post

(I forgot to take a picture of my own poppers)

QUOTE(analogkid @ May 20 2009, 10:04 PM) View Post

Every size rod you could ever want.

#8 nerfnrg

nerfnrg

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 04:22 PM

This is exactly what it says on the conatiner that I have:
"DAP CrackSHOT High Performance Spackling Past provides unsurpassed performance for filling holes and cracks in surfaces suck as drywall, plaster, wood, brick and stone. Its ready-to-use, smooth white formula spreads easily for fast, professional repairs that will not crack, crumble, or flake.
Application: Surface must be clean, dry and free of foreign material. Sitr thoroughly before use. Apply with a clean putty knife. One application is usually sufficient for small repairs. For repairs deeper that 1/4", apply 2 or more layers allowing to dry between applications. May be sanded or painted in 1 to 5 hours depending on temp., humidity and depth of fill. Clean tools immediately with water."
I bolded what was important as most of you wll probably have guessed by now. Well, it says nothing about using it on plastics and I don't want to risk it so I will just take all of your advise and use Bondo. BTW the paste is very moist and sticky, kind of like a more moist clay. If you guys want a picture I could get one of the paste/ spackling. Also, how much is Bondo?

~nrg
t2hevey~ "yupp"

(\ /)
(='.'=) <--Me
(")_(")

#9 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:21 PM

Regardless of the label, it's still pretty chippy.

To me, it seems like pasting some paper over it.

It's really dry and weak. Just Bondo p10x.
QUOTE(Vinnie D. @ Feb 1 2010, 05:28 AM) View Post

... to be able to get a better burst or sustained fire, rather than blowing the whole load at once.

#10 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:34 PM

Most spackling compounds (like DAP brand) are for filling in slight defects in drywall and wood before priming and painting. They are made to be easy to sand and feather out, so generally they're pretty weak as far as durability for something that's going to get abused as much as a Nerf blaster.

Boltsn!per's first FAR might have had something different, but the industry standard is that spackle is good for filling holes in your walls, but I would NOT use it for gaps and body work on blasters.

I'd use either Bondo brand resin body filler, or 2-part epoxy paste, or even the pliable epoxy "clay" in two part formulation; those will give you durability matching or exceeding that of the plastic. Only thing, it's a total biotch to sand and smooth out (unless you have the shape pretty much down while it's still setting).

Heck, I've even used hot glue in bulk to fill some gaps. I try to smooth it out with a wet finger before it sets up.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#11 Darth Tom

Darth Tom

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:47 PM

I'm not a big fan of using anything too goopy to do any sculpting work.

Apoxie Sculpt is some amazing stuff. It's a two part epoxy clay that dries to a very hard/strong consistency.
You can read up on it here. I wouldn't buy it from them though. eBay's a bit cheaper and just less of a hassle.
http://www.avesstudi...xie_sculpt.html

Alternatively, something like plumbing putty should do the job for cosmetics. I just don't understand how anyone could find something as runny as bondo to be suitable when there's plenty of clay like substances out there that'll do the job much easier.

Edit: Conistency? No.

Edited by Darth_Tom, 05 May 2009 - 03:52 PM.

#12 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:00 PM

Plumbers putty is supposed to NEVER dry. It didn't dry after 3 days in the sun, I tried.

http://fairview.dead...eadfrontier.com

Great game, zombie apocalypse MMORPG. I'm acer34p3r on there.

#13 Darth Tom

Darth Tom

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:13 PM

The plumbers putty I've dealt with in the past has dried, albeit not rock solid. The epoxy putty I mentioned is really what you want for this kind of situation, but I still think that plumbers putty would work in a pinch, or if you didn't feel like dropping $40 on 4 lbs of epoxy.

The flexibility of the plumbers putty might facilitate paint chipping, which would be the major downside. If that was a problem, a thin layer of spackling/bondo would probably do the job. You could then sand it down and have a somewhat viable solution. At least you wouldn't be pouring spackling in a space you were trying to fill, and trying to create walls so it doesn't all just run out the sides.

#14 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:36 PM

Plumbers putty + Nerf = FAIL.

Has minimal use. Me and my friend pooled $10 to buy a nice big tub of it. It wouldn't dry and was relatively useless.

We just then made balls out of it and chucked it our neighbors houses.

We came back 3 months later to one of their front porches and found a piece stuck to the siding. It was still moldable, and wasn't the least bit hard.

Enough of the putty topic. I still think either Bondo, or now the epoxy mentioned below, is your best bet.
QUOTE(Vinnie D. @ Feb 1 2010, 05:28 AM) View Post

... to be able to get a better burst or sustained fire, rather than blowing the whole load at once.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users