Brit's Paint Tutorial

31 replies to this topic

#1 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:20 PM

Brit’s Paint Tutorial

This was originally posted over on the HQ, but I thought that it couldn't hurt to post it here. This was requested by several members over there and has served them well

Ok, so I said this was going to be a video, but my camera crapped out and you’ve waited long enough. What I’ve done is take pictures (as it’s all my camera would let me do) at each key stage and I’ll fill in the rest with writing. Ok? Good!
Before we start,

Disclaimers:
These techniques that I am about to show you are partly because of the paints that I use. Your paints may not have the same affect. Although, this doesn’t mean that you have to buy the same paints as me. Experiment and see what works.

Onward:

Step 1.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Firstly, strip the gun, not yourself (unless you like that). Place the shell off to one side and start on the internals. Do whatever you what to them. I just drilled the AR’s for now to save time.

Step 2.
Posted Image
Wipe down the blaster shell and any other parts that you are painting with a dry tissue. This removes any residue oil and dust and gives a clean surface for your paint to stick to.

Step 3.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Apply a base coat of chaos black spray to the blaster. Try not to cover the thing first time. Make slow, sweeping movements across the shell until you have an even coat. Too much paint will result in the details of the blaster being lost under layers of paint. Also, make sure that you spray in a warm atmosphere. If it isn’t warm, your paint will ‘bloom’. This is where the paint goes a funny white-grey colour. It isn’t a good thing.

Step 4.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Apply a layer of varnish. I do this between every colour just as a personal habit. I feel happier knowing that there are several layers on protection on the PJ.

Step 5.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Now you can break out the brushes. Colours can be done by ear, so go with your gut and paint what you think is right. Always paint one colour at a time, this allows you to build up the paint job and see what it feels like. Always varnish between layers. To get the flatness with the paint, I paint slowly and use a big brush with lots of paint on. I go over the same area over and over again until no brush strokes can be seen.

Step 6.
Posted Image
Add any details. Details for me include screw heads and drybrushing. Drybrushing is achieved by dipping an old brush (something with splayed bristles) and dipping it in your chosen paint. Then wipe most of it off until you have almost none on. Then LIGHTLY pass the brush over the shell. The brush should just touch the shell. This makes sure that the paint only hits the raised areas, making them stand out.

Step 7.
Posted Image
Posted Image
When you’re sure that you’re happy with your painting, apply one final coat of varnish. Then reassemble and VIOLA!

Also, my LS in the same style
Posted Image

I hope that this has helped and any questions and comments may be posted below.

Edited by BritNerfMogul, 01 February 2013 - 06:11 PM.

#2 flyingchicken

flyingchicken

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:22 PM

That's kickass. Good way to paint.
Where do you get the varnish?
I am so omniscient; if there was to be two omnisciences, I would be both!

#3 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:25 PM

I was wondering when you would post this here, thanks!
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#4 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:35 PM

That's kickass. Good way to paint.
Where do you get the varnish?

It's all from the games workshop. It's satin finish.

#5 Disturbed

Disturbed

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:43 PM

Great paintjobs. Also nice tutorial
If you nerf in Washington, I am a host of SANO, Seattle Area Nerf Out. PM me, would love to add you to the Washington nerf crew.

#6 Capten Karat

Capten Karat

• Banned
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:48 PM

Could you provide a link to the varnish, I have searched Games Workshop and can't find it.

EDIT: Thank You.

Edited by Capten Karat, 01 May 2009 - 06:51 PM.

Take of your thinking caps, and put on your ALGEBRAINS!

#7 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:50 PM

Could you provide a link to the varnish, I have searched Games Workshop and can't find it.

Do my best. May have to come from the UK site thought -

http://www.games-wor...dId=prod1620041

My bad - It's called Purity Seal (Satin Varnish)

#8 Equilox

Equilox

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:26 PM

I've always wanted to know what the best method for painting was, brushes or spray paint. Now I know, it is a mixture rather than the two separate. Nice work with the paint.
"In my Zombie plan I use my arsenal of foam to fend of the hoards of the undead as I make my way to Canada....... good luck to you Simmons."

#9 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:28 PM

I've always wanted to know what the best method for painting was, brushes or spray paint. Now I know, it is a mixture rather than the two separate. Nice work with the paint.

It's all in the technique. The spray gives an even base for you to work from, while the brushing gives you the extra control over your details.

And thanks again for the kind words.

Edited by BritNerfMogul, 01 May 2009 - 07:31 PM.

#10 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:21 PM

You probably should sand the gun first, so that the paint doesn't affect the moving parts of the gun.
The yellow balls are also slightly smaller in diameter than the green ones.

#11 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:26 PM

You probably should sand the gun first, so that the paint doesn't affect the moving parts of the gun.

I would if I painted the internals. Most of them are left unpainted. So far, I've had no hinderence in performance.

#12 Captain Scottland

Captain Scottland

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:16 PM

What kind of paint do you use for the brushing? Also, nice job on both the guns that longshot looks amazing!

#13 ouch

ouch

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:46 PM

Brit’s Paint Tutorial

This was originally posted over on the HQ, but I thought that it couldn't hurt to post it here. This was requested by several members over there and has served them well

Ok, so I said this was going to be a video, but my camera crapped out and you’ve waited long enough. What I’ve done is take pictures (as it’s all my camera would let me do) at each key stage and I’ll fill in the rest with writing. Ok? Good!
Before we start,

Disclaimers:
These techniques that I am about to show you are partly because of the paints that I use. Your paints may not have the same affect. Although, this doesn’t mean that you have to buy the same paints as me. Experiment and see what works.

Onward:

Step 1.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Firstly, strip the gun, not yourself (unless you like that). Place the shell off to one side and start on the internals. Do whatever you what to them. I just drilled the AR’s for now to save time.

Step 2.
Posted Image
Wipe down the blaster shell and any other parts that you are painting with a dry tissue. This removes any residue oil and dust and gives a clean surface for your paint to stick to.

Step 3.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Apply a base coat of chaos black spray to the blaster. Try not to cover the thing first time. Make slow, sweeping movements across the shell until you have an even coat. Too much paint will result in the details of the blaster being lost under layers of paint. Also, make sure that you spray in a warm atmosphere. If it isn’t warm, your paint will ‘bloom’. This is where the paint goes a funny white-grey colour. It isn’t a good thing.

Step 4.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Apply a layer of varnish. I do this between every colour just as a personal habit. I feel happier knowing that there are several layers on protection on the PJ.

Step 5.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Now you can break out the brushes. Colours can be done by ear, so go with your gut and paint what you think is right. Always paint one colour at a time, this allows you to build up the paint job and see what it feels like. Always varnish between layers. To get the flatness with the paint, I paint slowly and use a big brush with lots of paint on. I go over the same area over and over again until no brush strokes can be seen.

Step 6.
Posted Image
Add any details. Details for me include screw heads and drybrushing. Drybrushing is achieved by dipping an old brush (something with splayed bristles) and dipping it in your chosen paint. Then wipe most of it off until you have almost none on. Then LIGHTLY pass the brush over the shell. The brush should just touch the shell. This makes sure that the paint only hits the raised areas, making them stand out.

Step 7.
Posted Image
Posted Image
When you’re sure that you’re happy with your painting, apply one final coat of varnish. Then reassemble and VIOLA!

Also, my LS in the same style
Posted Image

I hope that this has helped and any questions and comments may be posted below.

I wish i was that tallenented with tape and spray paint.
girls are like phones.They love to be held,talked too but if u press the rong button you"ll be disconnected

#14 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:52 PM

I wish I wasn't dumb enough to quote the entire first post for no reason.
Also, I can't even spell "talented".

Goodbye for a year.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 07 May 2009 - 02:54 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#15 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:12 PM

Captian Scottland - Citadel Paints. Available at the games workshop. They're not cheap, but they leave a good finish.

#16 Captain Scottland

Captain Scottland

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:56 PM

Thanks I will definitely look into that because the end result looks ridiculously good.

#17 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:58 PM

Thanks I will definitely look into that because the end result looks ridiculously good.

Just heed my warning - A good finish follows a hefty price tag. These paints are NOT cheap. Only buy them if you really want them.

#18 Captain Scottland

Captain Scottland

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:10 PM

Well, I checked out the website and saw that the price for one unit of 12mL is $3.50 so I was wondering how far does 12mL usually get you.

#19 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:15 PM

Well, I checked out the website and saw that the price for one unit of 12mL is $3.50 so I was wondering how far does 12mL usually get you.

1 pot of catachan green went into the LS, scout and a recon (gun only), if memory serves me correctly.

#20 Captain Scottland

Captain Scottland

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:25 PM

The pots are a pretty decent price then. It's the Chaos Black and varnish that might be too expensive. I think i might pick one of my better guns to do this to and see the results in person based on my ability which is sure to come out lesser than yours. Then I will weigh whether it's worth it or not.

#21 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:28 PM

The pots are a pretty decent price then. It's the Chaos Black and varnish that might be too expensive. I think i might pick one of my better guns to do this to and see the results in person based on my ability which is sure to come out lesser than yours. Then I will weigh whether it's worth it or not.

NO NO NO! Start small. Smaller surface area = less paint = less money spent. Also practice on an older blaster. Make sure you get your technique right.

#22 Captain Scottland

Captain Scottland

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:38 PM

Actually I meant I was going to test it on some extra shells and do my final on a working blaster. However, after what you said you're right it would make more sense to do my best blasters last. I will most likely put my next paycheck towards some of these paints and in a couple of weeks or a month I will let you know how it came out.

#23 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:42 PM

Actually I meant I was going to test it on some extra shells and do my final on a working blaster. However, after what you said you're right it would make more sense to do my best blasters last. I will most likely put my next paycheck towards some of these paints and in a couple of weeks or a month I will let you know how it came out.

Good lad. Good luck and happy painting.

#24 Captain Scottland

Captain Scottland

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:52 PM

Thanks. Now just to wait until I have a free day....

#25 nerfnukerz

nerfnukerz

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:01 AM

You may also want to check out some of the Games Workshop painting techniques. Some of them, most of all drybrushing, are very useful.
Now you're dead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users