Unique Brass Breeching System

Cosmetics Completed! See last post.

16 replies to this topic

#1 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:17 PM

Like the title says, this is a write-up on how to construct a breeching system using 9/16” brass as the main barrel that works with guns using CPVC couplers.

Before I get started, let me first say that the design for this breech is heavily based off FA_24’s “demon breech” used in his Countess writeup. My design is basically taking that one and making it work for those with CPVC couplers.

Ok, now let’s get started. I was recently commissioned to design a breech with a 9/16 main barrel that worked in the ½” CPVC coupler of his BBB. What I had known previously as many do as well is that ½” copper has the same or similar OD as CPVC, yet the same ID as 19/32” brass. It was therefore the perfect candidate to make the breech.

Alright, so first, you need to cut yourself 7” of ½” Copper tubing. This is all assuming you’re going to have an 8” main barrel. If not, it’s all proportional. (9” barrel; use an 8” piece of copper. So anyway, get yourself 7” of Copper tubing, and 8” of 9/16 brass. I lost the cool pics of it next to a ruler for some reason…but I have it from now on. Next, you need ½” of 9/16” brass:
Posted Image
And half an inch of 17/32””
Posted Image
And one full inch of ½” brass:
Posted Image
And finally, 6 ½ inches of ½” PVC. If you have Sch 20, that'd be the best, but if you had Sch 40, like I did, you’ll see how we deal with that in a bit:
Posted Image

Now, time to cut the breech opening. Trace yourself a breech opening with pencil 1” from the back of the PVC. I use a little paper template to trace this. You can just put some glue stick on the back and stick it where you want it on the PVC, and then trace from there. It works very nicely. Once you have it drawn, it’ll look like this:
Posted Image

Now, you can reverse this and the last step if you’d like, but this is the order I did them in. What you want to do now is drill out the PVC to fit the 1/2” Copper. The copper has an OD of about 5/8, maybe a bit less, but that’s the most accurate that I could achive with my drill bits available. Once drilled out, the copper should fit inside the PVC:
Posted Image
Now that it fits, you want to superglue it in place, as in the picture above. You should have about an inch of copper sticking out the back. Once it’s super glued (I used Zap-a-Gap, by the way), cut out your breech opening. It’s nice and easy, because you’re cutting through both at once. You want to be careful with your cutting though, make sure it turns out clean through the copper, or the 9/16 won’t slide through correctly.

Here’s a picture of the finished breech opening cut:
Posted Image
(It is yet to be cleaned up. That will come in part two later (Cosmetics)).

Now, you want to combine your little assembly of smaller pieces of brass. 1/2” inside of 17/32” inside of 9/16”. Here are a few pics of what it should look like when you’re done (Again, this part is heavily based off the “demon breech” and I take no credit for this part of the design):
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now, put a bead of superglue around it, and push it into the rear of the Copper, with the ½” facing inwards:
Posted Image

While that’s drying, take the chance and put a few tightening rings around your 9/16” brass that’s going to be your main barrel. Once you’ve finished that and your glue has dried, congradulations! You are almost done. Test it out, see how the 9/16 is sliding in the Copper, make sure there are no restrictions in motion. Here’s a pic of where you should be now:

Posted Image
And open with a dart:
Posted Image

Now, this part is for those who are definitely using ONLY CPVC COUPLERS with this breech. This is for added stability, and will make sure your breech stays on correctly. Note, once you do this, the breech CANNOT be used with PVC couplers. Since I was specifically commissioned though to have this work with a specific gun using a CPVC coupler, I did this step. What you do is take a PVC coupler, and superglue it slid onto the back of the breech:
Posted Image

That will keep it extremely stable when used, as the copper will slide into the CPVC coupler, and the ½ PVC coupler will slide over it, creating both a double seal, and double the stability. Here’s a picture of the finished back of the breech:
Posted Image

And that’s it, you’re done. By the way, just to prove stability, I stuck the breech on this:
Posted Image
And shook it around like a maniac. It didn’t budge. Though it is also not difficult to remove from your gun if you please. Cosmetics will come much later as I need some more paint, but I figured I’d present this to the community. The lucky owner to be of this is also going to have his first time seeing this in the works when he reads this write-up, but I just couldn’t wait. I hope this helps those of you with CPVC couplers on all your guns wishing to use brass breeches.

Also, due to the fact that this is a variation of the “demon breech,” it shotgun loads like a dream. If the buyer requests, I will add some sort of grip to the front for opening and closing the breech, but personally, I prefer it like this. It keeps the weight of the breech towards the back, and helps even more to keep it from dislodging when you don’t wish for it to (Although I doubt this could happen anyway. Like I said, it’s very sturdy).

I hope the future owner as well as the rest of the community like this; Questions, comments, and criticism are appreciated.

EDIT-I'm not sure if this should've gone in the Modifications or Homemades section, as it was built for a modified blaster. If it's in the wrong place though, if an admin would please move it, that'd be great.

Edited by diamondbacknf1626, 08 September 2009 - 05:21 PM.

QUOTE(TxNerfer @ Nov 13 2010, 12:42 PM) View Post

Hey...I got a crazy idea: how about you stop all that sigging stuff? It's not even my thread and it annoys me.

#2 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:06 PM

Outstanding work as usual my friend, well done. The write up looks very good also. Nice and simple--for simple guys like me!
IRC chat: louiec3-- he offered $500 for someone to build a bomb he could send to his ex wife
Rknight-- wow......N9---your dad is in trouble now!

#3 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:34 PM

Very, very nice diamond back. Excellent work. Great use of parts.

#4 JATDO

JATDO

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:41 PM

Just to be sure, this can be used with CPVC because the PVC coupler goes over the CPVC coupler?
I remember when some girl in my English 101 class in college tried to cite The Onion as a source for her paper. The teacher lol'd.
The only time I got hit was when my spotter got hit and the enemy team realized there was a marksman in the bushes

#5 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:02 PM

The only change I would suggest is soldering the two brass pieces and the copper pipe all together. Solder is substantially better than any glue.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#6 Nerf Bros

Nerf Bros

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:13 PM

Nice clean mod, its nice to see a breach that fits on to cpvc...

-nerfbros
We have no sig.

#7 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:31 PM

I use this system for just about every one of my breeched blaster(done with PETG though) . Very nice work with the write-up, easy to follow.
"Sorry rokor...my cousin is gay too...it's okay...we're tolerant"
Talio in Shoutbox.

#8 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:00 PM

Response time!

Outstanding work as usual my friend, well done. The write up looks very good also. Nice and simple--for simple guys like me!

He, thanks a lot man, I'm glad you like it. You of all people considering you're soon to be the lucky owner.

Very, very nice diamond back. Excellent work. Great use of parts.

Thank you very much. It was nice to have that little bit of knowledge that 1/2" copper fit into CPVC couplers, as that's the idea that this entire thing is based off of. I personally like the double seal/stability through utalizing the PVC coupler and copper.

Just to be sure, this can be used with CPVC because the PVC coupler goes over the CPVC coupler?

The breech was designed to work in a CPVC coupler, yes, because the segment of 1/2" copper protruding from the rear of the breech fits within the CPVC coupler, and the PVC coupler fits around it.

The only change I would suggest is soldering the two brass pieces and the copper pipe all together. Solder is substantially better than any glue.

Yeah, that's actually the exact same thing my dad said to me as he was reading the writeup. For this specific build though, I think the superglue will hold fine, but in future builds, I will take heed of that.

Nice clean mod, its nice to see a breach that fits on to cpvc...

-nerfbros

Thank you. Yep...that was the purpose. Rouge wanted it to be able to be used in his CPVC couplered BBB.

I use this system for just about every one of my breeched blaster(done with PETG though) . Very nice work with the write-up, easy to follow.

Care to explain it via PM? I'm interested in your methods in doing so, but I'd rather not de-rail the thread. And thanks, I try to keep my writeups as clear as possible.

Thanks for all the comments so far guys, even more would be greatly appreceated.

Hey...I got a crazy idea: how about you stop all that sigging stuff? It's not even my thread and it annoys me.

#9 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:11 PM

That is amazing, very clean and functional, I also like the multiple barrel materials used =]
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#10 JATDO

JATDO

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:01 PM

Thanks for clearing that up :)
Are you going to be selling these?
I remember when some girl in my English 101 class in college tried to cite The Onion as a source for her paper. The teacher lol'd.
The only time I got hit was when my spotter got hit and the enemy team realized there was a marksman in the bushes

#11 idk59

idk59

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:05 PM

Good job. I'm going to go make one of these now. :)

#12 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:15 PM

Nice job. Very unique. Keep up the good work.

- Magic

#13 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:04 PM

What exactly did you use to drill out the pvc?
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#14 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:21 PM

That is amazing, very clean and functional, I also like the multiple barrel materials used =]

Thank you very much.

Thanks for clearing that up
Are you going to be selling these?

Thank you.
Yes, if I am comissioned to do so, I will make breeches like this to sell. However, I do not intend to make a sales thread or something of the sort for selling brass breeches. Put simply, I won't seek work, but if it comes to me, I will oblige. Basically, PM me, and we could work something out. I just don't wish to steal buisness from those around longer than I making brass breeches. This breech, I was comissioned to make, and I would be willing to do things of that nature, but nothing like my PETG breech sales thread.

Good job. I'm going to go make one of these now.

Sounds good. Good luck. As I said in the original writeup, be careful cutting the copper, as you want the 9/16 to still slide well through it.

1.Nice job.
2. Very unique.
3. Keep up the good work.

- Magic

1. Thank you
2. That was my goal, as I was comissioned to design and build something like this.
3. I intend to :)

What exactly did you use to drill out the pvc?

A 5/8 wood boring drillbit. That was the only option available to me at the time (My dad wasn't home to direct me to other things within his work shop. Like I said though, sch. 20 PVC would really do the job much, much nicer. I was working with what I had/could easily acquire though. Nowhere around me supplies sch. 20.

#15 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:49 PM

Cosmetics time.
Yeah, it was a bit of a wait, but I think it was well worth it:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I haven’t shown Nerfrogue that it’s done yet…so you’ll get to see his reaction here. I think it came out pretty well. I hope you like it man, and everyone else for that matter.

By the way, just a note, this isn’t a commonality with my work. I’ve had a lot going on recently, being the only reason it was completed so late, and my customer understood this, so if you wish to have something done, just know that it will be done in a timely manner.

So…what do you guys think?

EDIT-By the way, the letters are intentionally not clean cut. Think about it..."Rogue"?

Edited by diamondbacknf1626, 02 May 2009 - 05:52 PM.

#16 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:14 PM

HOLY FRIGG"N CRAP MAN!!!!!! Better than expected! This is going to find a place of honor in the Rogue arsenal, stellar work my friend---as always.

P.S--I frigg'n love the letters!----Rogue.
IRC chat: louiec3-- he offered $500 for someone to build a bomb he could send to his ex wife
Rknight-- wow......N9---your dad is in trouble now!

#17 white moonlight

white moonlight

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 04:49 PM

Great Paintjob, especially the "ROGUE."

I love the use of the PVC coupler for extra support.

Nice work diamondback.

Edited by white moonlight, 04 May 2009 - 04:49 PM.

On his trec to Colonfest...
VengefulWaffle BOY, 12 KILLED IN MOUNTAIN PASS BY WILD RACCON, EXPERTS SAY HE ATTEMPTED TO HOLD IT OFF WITH NERF NITEFINDERS
POLICE SAY: ALCOHOL MAY HAVE BEEN INVOLVED
Guess who he was talking about...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users