Vulcan Motor

Need motor wizz

12 replies to this topic

#1 Darken

Darken

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:09 PM

Right now I've been looking for a motor that could sustain two 9.6V batteries without melting down inside a vulcan. I have found one that seems promising, but I cannot be for sure it is the motor I'm looking for. Here are the specifications of the motor:

Voltage: 24
Rpm: 1000
Torque: 1.2 lb per square inch

I know the voltage is what I'm looking for, because I'm putting the batteries in series, giving me 19.2 volts. What I'm concerned about is the rpm and torque. The motor is going to be moving something else, but it will not need that much more strength to do it, and I want to know if anyone has a good guess if the rpm and torque of the motor I've found would work really well in the stock vulcan with the 9.6V batteries, just barely well, or not well at all.

Now, I know someone is going to say "Well try it out for yourself and stop trying to get others to do your experiments for you!", but all I'm asking is if anyone has an educated guess or suggestion on the motor. I'm not asking you to go out and buy the motor yourself and test it. Also, if anyone would happen to know the voltage, rpm, and torque of the stock motor, that'd be great. Thanks to all who help.

One last note, I posted this on NerfHQ yesterday, but it went over the bandwidth a few hours later, so I came here.

#2 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:18 PM

Well, I wouldn't be concerned about the motor you put in, it should work just fine. My concern would be the rest of the gun, can the gears handle the stress and heat of a high RPM motor? You might want to look into heat shielding like foil tape and stuff and make sure the gears can handle the stress.
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#3 Darken

Darken

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:22 PM

Trust me, I got all of that going into work, but right now I'm trying to get the motor problem dealt with. After that I can speed into progress. I just want to have a little reassurance before I blow my low budget on the motor.

#4 Basilisk

Basilisk

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:27 PM

I don't know what to tell you but you won't find out what the problems with the new motor are until you do try using it yourself.
"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."
-Carbon

#5 Darken

Darken

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:36 PM

I don't know what to tell you but you won't find out what the problems with the new motor are until you do try using it yourself.

Yes, but I just wanted to see if anyone had an educated guess as to whether it would be strong enough. I'm basically trying to see if the motor will work more than well for the gun, because there will be something else hooked up to it.

#6 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:48 PM

It shouldn't matter as long as the motor that you get is the same size as the original, so it can fit inside. You can get different voltage batteries for different voltage motors.
QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

If at first you don't succeed, add more epoxy.

#7 Darken

Darken

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:53 PM

It shouldn't matter as long as the motor that you get is the same size as the original, so it can fit inside. You can get different voltage batteries for different voltage motors.

You can have the right sized motor (which the one I found is), but if it's Rpm and torque are too weak, then the gun will not function correctly. As I said, the voltage is correct, I'm just concerned about the Rpm and torque.

#8 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:22 PM

Its an electro-magnet motor so its torque for the most part depends on how big it is and how strong the coils are, so if its expensive, its probably well made and torquie. If its the same size, it should do just fine. If its too big, you might have a problem. But like I said earlier, don't worry about them motor, worry about the gun.
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#9 Darken

Darken

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:28 PM

Its an electro-magnet motor so its torque for the most part depends on how big it is and how strong the coils are, so if its expensive, its probably well made and torquie. If its the same size, it should do just fine. If its too big, you might have a problem. But like I said earlier, don't worry about them motor, worry about the gun.

Don't worry, the gun shall be given just as much care. Thanks for the suggestions on the motor. I've decided I'll get the motor. It's the best one I could find at that size. Again, thanks for the help.

#10 Reagent X

Reagent X

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:14 PM

ahem... look where the original idea was:
ManaPotion 500DPM Chaingun Hack
coughcoughplagoristcoughcough

#11 Darken

Darken

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:30 PM

ahem... look where the original idea was:
ManaPotion 500DPM Chaingun Hack
coughcoughplagoristcoughcough

Oh, really? I never realized that anyone in the world could possibly have come up with this idea before me ever in my life.

In all seriousness, yeah, I knew about that. But notice how their gun melted after about 10 minutes. And also, did I ever say this was my idea? Ever? Did I go around boasting "my" brilliant idea? No. Stop accusing people on subjects you don't have half a clue about. The modification I'm making is based off of their mod, and as such, credit was going to be given when and where credit is due. Right now, it's not due, because I'm not even half done with my modification. When I AM done, yes, I will give them credit. Thank you for your concern though and please let this topic die.

#12 zotoshibobo

zotoshibobo

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 05:45 AM

I know you wanted the thread to die, but I found an article that might help you a little.

http://antonolsen.co...d-modification/
Byaah!

#13 Darken

Darken

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:52 AM

Well, thanks for the help, but the motor I wanted is already bought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users