Photo

Best Way To Take Out Maverick Air Restrictors?

There's more than one.

10 replies to this topic

#1 wewtaco

wewtaco

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:01 PM

I recently got a Nerf Maverick and am going to mod it, starting, of course, with the air restrictors. I have gotten three different ways you can do it, and I'm wondering which is the best:

1. Youtube videos told me this. Just cut off the orange stick on the air restrictors.

2. My friend told me this. Drill a hold through the middle of the air restrictors, so that there's a small hole where the stick used to be.

3. This way: at the bottom of this page

They all seem like they're legitimate, but what do you usually do, and has it worked well?

#2 fallinouttadabox

fallinouttadabox

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:03 PM

Well considering the first two don't actually remove the air restrictors, the third one.
fallinouttadabox (intentionally lowercase): sometimes you want to be somewhere between thinking in the box and thinking out of the box. Trust me, I would know.

#3 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:25 PM

4. All of the above
QUOTE(TxNerfer @ Nov 13 2010, 12:42 PM) View Post

Hey...I got a crazy idea: how about you stop all that sigging stuff? It's not even my thread and it annoys me.

#4 Boss18

Boss18

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:07 PM

You just want a little O-shaped plastic ring. Easy, isn't it?
D0 U LiK3Z /\/\UDkIpZ? http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Burnboy85 <--- Clicky Cliky!

#5 flamingeyes245

flamingeyes245

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:23 PM

do as in third, but screw the straws. i have a mav manta top gun drilled, bottom rod only removed. there is a noticeable difference, and unlike the straws, all barrels fire perfectly and much better than stock.
hope i helped!
Keep your friends close,
And your Nerf guns closer.

External Modification contest, check it out!

Using anything I write as a sig makes your penis shoot rainbows. Bitches LOVE rainbows
^^VACC

#6 Alkorion

Alkorion

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:52 PM

Would you be looking to do something like this?

Posted Image

Cut off the orange stick, then cut out the inner stems with a fine knife, and file out the nubs for smoothness.

EDIT: As for the drilling part, I was kinda bored in paint and it makes for a good looking diagram, like captain, slug said, not really necessary or effective in the process

Edited by Alkorion, 28 April 2009 - 11:34 PM.

/ /~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\ \
|"Say hello, to my little Brute!"|
\ \~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~/ /

#7 wewtaco

wewtaco

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:04 PM

Thanks for the diagram, would I keep the black parts w/ 3 prongs (not sure what they're called) in there when I do that, or should I take them out? When I tried it without the black parts/springs, many times the dart got stuck in the gun, and when it did get out, it only went about 6 feet. I know I must be doing something wrong. If you need pics I can get them soon.

#8 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:13 PM

You don't even have to drill them if you have an X-acto knife blade you can use to cut the prongs holding the peg out of the middle. Drilling such a tiny part is too dangerous anyways.

Thanks for the diagram, would I keep the black parts w/ 3 prongs (not sure what they're called) in there when I do that, or should I take them out?

Those are the restrictors. Just throw them away.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 28 April 2009 - 11:14 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#9 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:27 AM

I skip a lot of those steps by using a small pair of wire cutters (from a jewelry making kit my wife has) to simply cut the prongs that hold the "stick" to the "ring". After that, you can file/dremel the prongs down until you get a smooth circle, but I haven't noticed much difference between doing that and just leaving the cut prongs in place. It doesn't seem like it is worth the extra effort to me.
Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#10 canuck

canuck

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:01 PM

Drilling worked the best for me, but just removing the pegs will not do much. You can just remove the prong and the spring, and it will increase the power, but you will not get the same result that you could get from a proper AR removal.
We don't have military tactics or specialized training. We're fucking kids playing with plastic guns trying to tag each other.
-nerfer9

#11 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:57 AM

I probably wasn't clear enough with my post - sorry about that. I open up the blaster, disassemble the cylinder and remove the AR's and AR springs, then clip out the peg with the above mentioned technique before reassembling the cylinder and the blaster. It is a complete AR removal and a peg removal, I just don't bother boring the orange ring that the peg was attached to smooth.
Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users