Plastic Safe Lubricants

There are very few

100 replies to this topic

#51 syniik

syniik

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:03 AM

I would recommend you keep using the valve grease.
The liquid wrench has a ton of undesirable additives and the "Pure lubricant" is intended exactly for what is advertised (machinery).

Thanks for this reply...I was actually on the wall w/Liquid Wrench. Now that I know about it, I can get something else.

#52 The Nerf Devil

The Nerf Devil

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:22 PM

I really like this thread and find it very useful. I have one question would this work without harming plastics or o-rings?
It's funny looking through things you said years ago, you realize how much of an ass you came off as sometimes.

#53 The Nerf Devil

The Nerf Devil

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:43 AM

I really like this thread and find it very useful. I have one question would this work without harming plastics or o-rings?

You probably know that nobody here can make promises, but that stuff actually looks quite good, and if you slog through all that fine print there is this:

- Will not stain or harm wood, rubber, leather, plastic, fabrics and paint

It might be pretty similar to the TFE I use:
Posted Image

Thanks Bob, yeah it does seem like it might be similar to what you use, because you use TFE and it says it is a:

multi-purpose lubricant with PTFE

Edited by The_Nerf_Devil, 16 May 2009 - 10:43 AM.

It's funny looking through things you said years ago, you realize how much of an ass you came off as sometimes.

#54 atomatron

atomatron

• Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:27 PM

I recently purchased an spray can of Liquid Wrench White Lithium Grease, and proceeded to apply it to the barrel selector on my Sharpshooter II. It appeared to work fine...

... Until I returned not even five minutes later, I began to remove some of the excess grease from it to find that the plastic beneath it had become lighter in color. I picked at it and saw that the plastic was melting.
I quickly cleaned it out with hot water, soap and cue tips, what I removed from the inside wasn't whitish like the grease but green. I reassembled the barrel selector, and the top part cracked down the middle of it, probably due to it partly being dissolved.

The weird thing is:
-It says that it is plastics safe.
-After testing it on a maverick shell there was no effect (though its probably different a different type of plastic).
-No one in this thread said anything about any problems with it.

The Moral: Test lubricants that you haven't used before on non-vital parts of it, now I have a SSII that will be singled [I don't want to be].

Edited by atomatron, 24 May 2009 - 09:29 PM.

Perche Germolgi. [Because it shoots]

Rainbow Clan

#55 Chadpuff

Chadpuff

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:33 PM

Quick question. Whats your stand on actual gun lubricant?
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." ...Han Solo

#56 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:09 AM

Quick question. Whats your stand on actual gun lubricant?

Not advisable. It's meant for water displacement and mechanical wear.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#57 Chadpuff

Chadpuff

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:50 AM

Well looks like I've got some guns to take apart and wipe out.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." ...Han Solo

#58 carlough

carlough

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 05:31 AM

I use this stuff called Tri-flow.
I decreases the friction so much that the pumps wont work because the o-ring wont slide on the handle. :lol:

I have been using it for a few weeks, and it doesn't seem to have had negative effects.
RAZZLE FRAZZLE TO THE EXTREME!!!

#59 DrSpaceman

DrSpaceman

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:19 PM

I went to Home Depot today and saw two different lubricants:

#1: Jigaloo. Self-explanatory. Many people have used this before.
#2: B'laster powerful silicone lube. Link: click here. Says it stops squeaks, lows friction, protects from moisture, helps prevent rust and doesn't oxidize.
Another important note is on the back it read:

This nonstaining lubricant eliminates squeaking and binding and extends the life of: Metal, Plastic, Wood, Rubber, Vinyl, Leather.

Which one is the one to use?
"I'm being very open with you miss... I shouldn't have taken those blue things."
-Dr. Spaceman on 30 Rock

If you see me in the trading forum, I am most likely posting for friends. They are very into trading/buying/selling guns. Me, not so much.

#60 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:37 AM

Posted Image

It lubes it, is thick so it grabs dust and builds up at the end of the plunger tube, builds the ever-loved "film", and is cheap as hell. Used it for about 1.5 years: No damage. I found it in my dad's garage after a spring replacement in my first gun and I have used it ever since.

The only draw back is that you need to open the guns up every now and then (once a year) to clean the dirt/excess out.

Edited by Lynx, 22 December 2009 - 08:42 PM.

Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#61 Homestarune

Homestarune

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:42 PM

I was Ace the other day, this container claims to be perfect for o-rings. Has anyone ever used this stuff before?

Posted Image
We're not discouraging people from joining a Nerf forum, we're discouraging them from joining this forum. It's an important distinction because, frankly, we don't give a shit. The Haven was created to escape the idiotic masses, now they're all here. -cxwq

#62 umpshaplapa

umpshaplapa

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:03 PM

I was Ace the other day, this container claims to be perfect for o-rings. Has anyone ever used this stuff before?

That's exactly what I use.
QUOTE(Talio @ Jun 29 2009, 01:50 PM) View Post

i got a black belt in noob banning in 2004.

#63 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:57 PM

Just a quick question. Has anyone ever used this on a +bow before? Or on anything, for that matter? I have, and it seems rather thick, and I'm not sure if it's hindering performance or not, or will in the future. If someone has used it or has any input, help would be greatly appreceated. It does not specify that it is a "Silicon Grease" or "Lithium Grease."

Here's the pic:
Posted Image

Edited by diamondbacknf1626, 19 June 2009 - 10:03 PM.

QUOTE(TxNerfer @ Nov 13 2010, 12:42 PM) View Post

Hey...I got a crazy idea: how about you stop all that sigging stuff? It's not even my thread and it annoys me.

#64 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:32 PM

I found some wierd shit in my grandparent's basement today.

It's really old and it's called Slip Spray. Made by DuPont.

It claims to be rubber + plastic safe.

I'll use it sometime on a plain O-ring and see if i see any expansion, and then use it on some other crap.

It's a dry lube and seems almost graphite-based.

More info like date to come soon.
QUOTE(Vinnie D. @ Feb 1 2010, 05:28 AM) View Post

... to be able to get a better burst or sustained fire, rather than blowing the whole load at once.

#65 falkendart

falkendart

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:14 AM

Hi, I have been wondering about deoderant. I was thinking about using it but I wanted to know if it would be harmfull to the gun. It contains -dipropylene glycol, water, propylene glycol, sodium stearate, fragrance, PPG-myristyl ether, tetrasodium edta, violet 2, green 6. Im sorry if I spelled anything wrong, Im using my PSP and it took 5 minutes to type this. XP Thanks!

Edited by falkendart, 14 August 2009 - 01:15 AM.

I finally breeched the forum!

#66 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:58 AM

Hi, I have been wondering about deoderant.

You apply it to your armpits, not your toys.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#67 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:29 PM

The lubricant I use for All my blasters would be this.
Posted Image

This stuff is perfect for o-rings and what ever is sealing your blaster. I would highly recomend buying this stuff. I got it at Do It Best Hardware (Greatest hardware store) for 2.23 after tax. So if anyone else uses this please post and tell me what you think of it. Also here is a picture of what the lubricant actually looks like.
Posted Image

Edited by Icespartan_1114, 18 August 2009 - 12:29 PM.

QUOTE(Zaxbys @ Mar 2 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
I won't be there til about 1-2...

Church... gotta soak up that Jesus!

NERFSTRONG #51

#68 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:30 PM

I've used that stuff before, its great. Caffeine let me use some at the last war.

I use the Ace brand silicone grease. Best shit ever.

#69 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:28 PM

I've used it for o-rings, it works well.

Currently I use Liquid Wrench Silicone Spray, but I'd like to find something a bit thicker so it doesn't dry out as quickly.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#70 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:13 PM

Another lube question.

Almost positive it's plastic safe from testing on several o-rings and ABS plastics but..

CRC Heavy-Duty Silicone Lubricant. Anyone have experience with this to reassure me?
QUOTE(Vinnie D. @ Feb 1 2010, 05:28 AM) View Post

... to be able to get a better burst or sustained fire, rather than blowing the whole load at once.

#71 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:51 PM

I use this 100% petroleum jelly skin stuff. It seems to work well, I'll get pictures up later. Costs like 1.00 for a fist-sized tub that will last like a year or so.

#72 Gimmick

Gimmick

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 06:17 AM

Hey, quick question: I'm trying to re-lube my NF (the lubricant it came with has dried out) and I'm using a spray called Hunting's Silicone Spray Lubricant. It says on the can that it can be used for electrical insulation, rubber and PVC, but when I spray it into the plunger tube and try sliding the plunger in, the friction initially seems to be even greater as compared to an un-lubed plunger tube, and then it kinda mellows out. Is it supposed to be that way?

Edited by Gimmick, 26 September 2009 - 06:20 AM.

#73 GreenyNerf96

GreenyNerf96

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:30 AM

Would axle grease work?

#74 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:30 AM

Would axle grease work?

No. Nearly any type of grease that you may be referring to is a definite "no". Molybdenum Disulfide grease (what we use for axle joints at the auto shop I work for) contains petroleum distillates. As do ALL "wheel bearing" greases, whether they are yellow, red, blue... Or neon green, for that matter. Stay away from that stuff too. It's made with Radium Sulfonate, and may grow you an extra eye.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#75 moosa

moosa

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 02:27 PM

This lube issue is truly vexing me. It's so difficult to find a good lube. :wacko:
I went to Walmart and Home Depot today. Looked at everything I could find that said lubricant on it.
Many lubricants have some form of petroleum in them. This is bad, correct? Also, a lot of them have some sort of penetrant. This is also bad, right? A couple of the guys at Home Depot who helped me find the lubricants were commenting about the price difference between two different cans they found. "I thought silicon is silicon," one of them said half-jokingly. Ahhg. At least they're friendly.

Edited by moosa, 06 March 2010 - 02:29 PM.

Yes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users