Vulcan Jamming Heavily?

Noob to mods/working nerf guns

27 replies to this topic

#1 CPhantom

CPhantom

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:18 PM

So my vulcan has been having trouble with jamming since the beginning...and from the looks of it, I'm not the only one with those issues. However, it has started to get at me a bit more, considering I'm in a local nerf tourney, and need to have a working gun for shootouts all the time.

So, I was noticing that the gun jams up when the belt feeds through, and the chain gets caught on the edge of the part it is supposed to lift over. Would this be the source of my problems? Here is where I think the problem is...

Posted Image
Posted Image

Would sanding those down to flat parts do the trick, or would that be a bad idea?

Also, just including these if they would be of any help...my current mods are:

-removing pegs from the chains
-replacing battery pack with 1x 9.6V RC Battery.

Any help would be great!
Thanks!

#2 1337

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:20 PM

You may have melted the rotation mech.
Join the REVOLUTION!

#3 CPhantom

CPhantom

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:27 PM

You may have melted the rotation mech.

Isn't that with 2x the batteries though? Not to mention it is still rotating, just jamming. If it doesn't jam, the gun is still shooting just fine.

#4 GHOST BRAVO

GHOST BRAVO

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:33 PM

My freind has the same problem but then his rotors stopped moving does anyone know how to fix the rotors?
(\__/)
(+'.'+) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny
(")_(") into your profile to help him gain world domination

#5 canuck

canuck

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:31 PM

Two questions:
Is a round being fired from the barrel?
or:
Is the chian not moving?
if the chain isn't moving it probably broke from opposite force when the chain was being fed into the gun.
Hope this helps
We don't have military tactics or specialized training. We're fucking kids playing with plastic guns trying to tag each other.
-nerfer9

#6 GHOST BRAVO

GHOST BRAVO

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:46 AM

The rotor that feeds the chain in the gun wont move so the first bullet doesnt even line up with the barrel
(\__/)
(+'.'+) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny
(")_(") into your profile to help him gain world domination

#7 canuck

canuck

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:47 AM

Two questions:
Is a round being fired from the barrel?
or:
Is the chian not moving?
if the chain isn't moving it probably broke from opposite force when the chain was being fed into the gun.
Hope this helps

Sorrry forget about my first question. I think that one time you were firing it the chain was pulled. I doubt that the pegs are the source of your problem
We don't have military tactics or specialized training. We're fucking kids playing with plastic guns trying to tag each other.
-nerfer9

#8 ninja mods

ninja mods

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:11 AM

My freind has the same problem but then his rotors stopped moving does anyone know how to fix the rotors?

Friend...

#9 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:41 AM

Sheesh, what kind of camera did you use? It is so blurry, I have no idea what it is even a picture of.
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#10 Salindin Naz

Salindin Naz

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:55 PM

I notice you've painted your Vulcan. Is the paint too thick? Vulcans, though fun, can be a bitch to work with if you don't know the little ins and outs of them. Too much paint, or too rough of paint will make the weak rotation mech slip. Did you paint the chains as well?? This is a big no-no. They look nice painted, but again, the rotation mech won't be happy about it.

Salindin

#11 CPhantom

CPhantom

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:57 PM

I was thinking it was possibly the paint as well. The chains aren't painted, either, so no problem there.

However, yesterday I just started having problems with the gun's rotating mech. It won't turn now, and it sounds like something is jammed inside the gun. When we fire the gun, it just sounds like something is stuck in place, and pulling the handle back only lets us pull it about 3/4 the way back before locking itself.

Anyone know what could've happened? Again, I don't think the 9.6v battery was the case, as we've had this thing modded for a while. I will be wanting to open up the gun tonight...Anything I should be looking for?

EDIT: NVM, got it.

EDIT2: Vulcan is opened up to the internals...still can't find what I need. I assume that the piece I've found is to the motor, but I can't figure out what it is connected to...What else do I need to pop open to get deeper into this thing to figure out what is busted?

I'll have a pic in a moment.

EDIT3: Pic here...Sorry about the quality...cell pics. However this is what I have it down to. That part at the bottom is the rotation mech., right? It is having a really rough time moving...Anything possibly broken? Any information on repairing this area?

Posted Image

Edited by CPhantom, 02 May 2009 - 11:27 PM.

#12 CPhantom

CPhantom

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:03 AM

Sorry about double posting, but I'm just going NUTS on this thing, considering it just randomly started acting up within an hour of just using it.

I'm looking inside, and no problems such as cracks or broken pieces. So I haven't a clue on what to do. Is there ANYONE who'd know what is going on exactly with this thing?

#13 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:34 AM

Vulcans are somewhat infamous for breaking down.

My first 2 broke down in the same fashion within an hour or so of use.

Are your symptoms as follows:
Grinding gears
No motion of feed cog or back and forth motion
Irreparably jammed plunger

If so, I don't think you can fix it. I tried with the second.

Perhaps, Salindin Naz is right. Don't fuck with it if you don't know what'll happen.

Besides, the Vulcan is only useful indoors as a corridor defense weapon.
QUOTE(NerfUK @ May 8 2009, 11:54 AM) View Post

(I forgot to take a picture of my own poppers)

QUOTE(analogkid @ May 20 2009, 10:04 PM) View Post

Every size rod you could ever want.

#14 nerfkid3

nerfkid3

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 01:04 AM

It sounds like mine. Open it up and check the strength of the paw spring mine was week so I rotated it 45 degrees and made a crevasse with a razor blade and it was fine

Hope it helps

Nk3
---------------
92% of teens have moved on to rap.
If you are part of the 8% who still listen to "real music",
copy and paste this into your signature

#15 CPhantom

CPhantom

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 01:40 AM

Grinding gears

Perhaps, Salindin Naz is right. Don't fuck with it if you don't know what'll happen.

Well it sounds like something could be grinding, but the plunger for the dart cases is launching just fine. It just sounds kind of...rattly. But that's not the plunger, it's whatever is going on inside the gun.

also, Nerfkid3...how far in did you go? As you can see in my picture, I'm down to the internals, but haven't taken them apart yet. Just curious if you got further into those or not.

Edited by CPhantom, 03 May 2009 - 01:41 AM.

#16 wisdom000

wisdom000

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 03:16 AM

Grinding gears

Axtually, the fix for that one I discovered is pretty easy. Heres a post to my fix at NHQ, (hope linking to other forums is ok):

http://www.nerfhq.co...hp?topic=8419.0
Datafortress 2020, the largest and most comprehensive Cyberpunk 2020 site in the world, home of Interlock Unlimited:
http://datafortress2020.110mb.com/

#17 CPhantom

CPhantom

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:03 AM

Grinding gears

Axtually, the fix for that one I discovered is pretty easy. Heres a post to my fix at NHQ, (hope linking to other forums is ok):

http://www.nerfhq.co...hp?topic=8419.0

I'm thinking then...could this be my problem? With the 'grinding' sound I'm hearing, it might've been this problem. If only there were some pics on this though, as I'm not savvy with this talk. This was my first "Major" mod on a nerf gun.

#18 Darken

Darken

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:54 AM

I have some pictures of the vulcan internals:

General rotation mech:
Posted Image

Gear box without motor with cover:
Posted Image

Gear box without motor or cover:
Posted Image

Overall internal pic without gear box cover:
Posted Image

Rotation mech without orange piece, reveling a spring and other whatnot:
Posted Image

Yet another rotation mech pic:
Posted Image

Hope these help you figure out the problem.

#19 CPhantom

CPhantom

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:23 PM

Thanks for the pics! Though, I'm having a hard time getting into the gear cover. Is there a tutorial on how to disassemble this thing?

Or, if it happens to be the spring as wisdom000 said...which spring is it? I am a little lost on that :unsure:

#20 Darken

Darken

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:42 PM

The springs on there are completely stock. To remove the gear cover I had to jiggle out some other pieces, and offhand I can't really remember how they all went.

#21 CPhantom

CPhantom

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:32 AM

Okay, I'll start to make sure I've got everything working again before disassembling it.

Do you know what spring(s) wisdom000 is talking about?

#22 wisdom000

wisdom000

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 03:44 AM

Okay, I'll start to make sure I've got everything working again before disassembling it.

Do you know what spring(s) wisdom000 is talking about?

The spring isn't shown in any of the above pictures, and like I said, getting afraid to take apart my own vulcan. However I did borrow one of splitlips images to show you where the spring is. You can actually see a piece of it behind the mechanism cover.

Posted Image
Datafortress 2020, the largest and most comprehensive Cyberpunk 2020 site in the world, home of Interlock Unlimited:

#23 CPhantom

CPhantom

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:32 AM

Ahhh, I see. So that actually effects the rotating mech then? Or is this just for the plunger mech? I don't see how the spring around the plunger is effecting the lower end of the gun. o.o;

also, if I do have to stretch it...how much do I have to do it?

Currently, my plunger is launching just fine, but the rotating mech doesn't go at all and you can hear something (I'm assuming the gears) rattling against each other as if they are stuck.

Edited by CPhantom, 04 May 2009 - 06:36 AM.

#24 wisdom000

wisdom000

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:46 AM

Ahhh, I see. So that actually effects the rotating mech then? Or is this just for the plunger mech? I don't see how the spring around the plunger is effecting the lower end of the gun. o.o;

Currently, my plunger is launching just fine, but the rotating mech doesn't go at all and you can hear something (I'm assuming the gears) rattling against each other as if they are stuck.

If the plunger doesn't retract, which is what the spring makes happen, then the rotation mechanism doesn't cycle properly.

This fix is only for the Vulcan flaw that causes the plunger mechanism to jam in the extended (shell sealing) position. If the plunger is retracting, and the cog isn't turning, then the problem is the little lever with the spring action tooth that rotates the feeding cog. Fixes for that can also be found, but doing so is risky as the piece is fairly fragile.

#25 CPhantom

CPhantom

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:08 PM

If the plunger doesn't retract, which is what the spring makes happen, then the rotation mechanism doesn't cycle properly.

This fix is only for the Vulcan flaw that causes the plunger mechanism to jam in the extended (shell sealing) position. If the plunger is retracting, and the cog isn't turning, then the problem is the little lever with the spring action tooth that rotates the feeding cog. Fixes for that can also be found, but doing so is risky as the piece is fairly fragile.

Hmmmm...well it seems to be my only choice now, otherwise this thing'll never work at all. Would you happen to know where I can find a fix like this then?

EDIT: It seems like the rotating mech (the white plastic piece) is getting caught and stuck. It will not rotate, and clicks when the cog is twisted. So something with this maybe? Is it those jagged edges on it? I'll get a bit of what I mean when I get home.

Edited by CPhantom, 04 May 2009 - 12:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users