Pas Ball Shooting Attachment Mod

UPDATE: Now works!

33 replies to this topic

#1 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:54 AM

So, I've been trying to figure out a good way to increase my rotorocket's ROF for the ballgun rounds at SOF Seattle. I recently purchased a PAS from cabella's online and got an idea when I was disassembling the gun. Most people decide to throw away the ball shooting attachment, but I decided to use it for something else.

This mod will make the barrel shoot these:
Posted Image

First take a 1" PVC endcap or coupler and cut it like so. Sand a little bit away from the inside of the cut end so balls won't have trouble loading.
Posted Image

Then take your PAS ball shooter (with the end already cut off, the end you might want for your PAS). Sand like shown. The follower may try and pop out at you.
Posted Image

Wrap the coupler segment in e-tape until it fits tightly into the top of the ball shooter.
Posted Image

Ram it in there, pushing it down on a flat surface so the coupler is perfectly in straight (you also have to have the hacksawed and uneven end go in first in order for this to work).
Posted Image

Put a layer of epoxy over the top. I used super glue because I was lazy. It also may be a good idea to coat in in epoxy/glue before ramming it in. We'll see how mine holds up, the e-tape made it an extremely tight fit. The claw wrench (I think that's what you call it) is there to push the follower down.
Posted Image

Wrap the end in e-tape until it fits tightly into 1.5" PVC.
Posted Image

Put epoxy over the e-tape and then shove it into the PVC.
Posted Image

Put some hot glue in the back for good measure (epoxy would work better, once again I was being lazy).
Posted Image

Bam, you're done. Here it is on my roto rocket:
Posted Image

I haven't exactly tested this yet, as it's 12:49 and I'm not about to wake the whole house up. However, before I epoxied the ball shooter into the PVC I just pressed it against a barrel in the coupler of my roto rocket (had tons of dead space, not to mention a terrible seal) and it definitely fired.

Edit: See Page 2 for update! Now works and is VERY effective!

Edited by TantumBull, 07 June 2009 - 05:22 PM.

#2 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:09 AM

Very clean.

I can't wait to see ranges.

Also, if you have a digital caliper, could you please tell me the diameter of the Qolf balls?

EDIT: (Changed spelling of golf) Also, StealthMan, not that it really matters, but it's actually Qolf balls, not Quolf Balls.

Edited by cheesypiza001, 26 April 2009 - 08:25 AM.

#3 StealthMan

StealthMan

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 285 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:16 AM

Correction: Quolf Balls. Not golf balls.
<!--quoteo(post=212906:date=Feb 16 2009, 06:30 PM:name=TantumBull)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TantumBull @ Feb 16 2009, 06:30 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not ashamed to admit that I have tried to eat my stefans. They just looked so yummy.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NERF<b>STRONG</b> #108

#4 Basilisk

Basilisk

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:03 AM

It looks dangerous... Amazing! I can't wait for the ranges for this thing. About how heavy are the Qolf balls?
"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."
-Carbon

#5 nightfinder

nightfinder

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:18 AM

One question, WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO SHOOT PEOPLE WITH BALLS!? :wacko:
NerfGrassHopper
R u gay ur sig makes it look so.. just lokin' for anotha gay nerfer...

#6 flyingchicken

flyingchicken

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:21 AM

One question, WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO SHOOT PEOPLE WITH BALLS!? :wacko:

So you can yell profanities about your big balls.

Nice mod, I always like ball shooting attachments.

Edited by flyingchicken, 26 April 2009 - 10:21 AM.

I am so omniscient; if there was to be two omnisciences, I would be both!

#7 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:22 AM

One question, why would you want to shoot someone with balls?

Ball rounds, zombies, etc.

Nice mod, tantum, looks simple and effective. I may have to try this, seeing as I have two roto-rockets laying around. I'm interested to see ranges as well.

And I'm surprised nobody has asked this yet: what's that black gun in the side of the last picture? Next project?

EDIT- Heh, or you can go with flyingchicken's explination on the ball shooters.

Edited by diamondbacknf1626, 26 April 2009 - 10:23 AM.

QUOTE(TxNerfer @ Nov 13 2010, 12:42 PM) View Post

Hey...I got a crazy idea: how about you stop all that sigging stuff? It's not even my thread and it annoys me.

#8 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:21 PM

That is definitely awesome, Tantum... wish I had my own stock PAS, unfortunately, I traded for mine and it was already modded. This should be able to be replicated with other ballguns, though. Nice job!

EDIT: I totally missed the simple reinforcement between the pump and barrel on the Roto-Rocket. I had not thought abouit it before, but that is also an excellent idea, particularly for big barrel mods. I have noticed my ball barrel flopping around while pumping.

Edited by Draconis, 26 April 2009 - 12:26 PM.

[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#9 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:58 PM

Very clean.

I can't wait to see ranges.

Also, if you have a digital caliper, could you please tell me the diameter of the Qolf balls?

EDIT: (Changed spelling of golf) Also, StealthMan, not that it really matters, but it's actually Qolf balls, not Quolf Balls.

Ranges will be addressed at the end of this post. As for the diameter, they fit snugly in 1.5" PVC.

It looks dangerous... Amazing! I can't wait for the ranges for this thing. About how heavy are the Qolf balls?

Thanks, ranges will be addressed in a sec. I'm not sure how heavy they are. Draconis may have some information regarding this.

One question, WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO SHOOT PEOPLE WITH BALLS!? :blink:

What diamondback said.

One question, WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO SHOOT PEOPLE WITH BALLS!? :)

So you can yell profanities about your big balls.

Nice mod, I always like ball shooting attachments.

Thanks.

One question, why would you want to shoot someone with balls?

Ball rounds, zombies, etc.

Nice mod, tantum, looks simple and effective. I may have to try this, seeing as I have two roto-rockets laying around. I'm interested to see ranges as well.

And I'm surprised nobody has asked this yet: what's that black gun in the side of the last picture? Next project?

EDIT- Heh, or you can go with flyingchicken's explination on the ball shooters.

Thanks, but before trying this be sure to read what I have to say at the bottom of this post. The black gun is my airsoft gun.

That is definitely awesome, Tantum... wish I had my own stock PAS, unfortunately, I traded for mine and it was already modded. This should be able to be replicated with other ballguns, though. Nice job!

EDIT: I totally missed the simple reinforcement between the pump and barrel on the Roto-Rocket. I had not thought abouit it before, but that is also an excellent idea, particularly for big barrel mods. I have noticed my ball barrel flopping around while pumping.

Thank you. And yeah, the reinforcement helps a lot. I was tired of scraping my hand on all of the fittings.

Ranges, etc:

I was very dissapointed when I shot this thing several minutes ago. All the balls came out at once. I tried shooting at lower pressures, and they came out one at a time, but ranges were abysmal. Shooting one at a time was okay. But for some reason the balls, immediately after leaving the barrel, slanted down. If I shot the gun at like a 25 degree angle, they went straight. I was shooting in my basement which is about 30' long from where I was shooting. Shooting the single ball at this angle caused very little drop.

If anoyone has any suggestions, I'm open to them. I'm considering making the barrel longer, that may help the range and downward slant problems. I'm also considering making the entry point tighter so not all the balls shoot at once.

Edited by TantumBull, 26 April 2009 - 12:59 PM.

#10 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:24 PM

Ranges, etc:[/b]
I was very dissapointed when I shot this thing several minutes ago. All the balls came out at once. I tried shooting at lower pressures, and they came out one at a time, but ranges were abysmal. Shooting one at a time was okay. But for some reason the balls, immediately after leaving the barrel, slanted down. If I shot the gun at like a 25 degree angle, they went straight. I was shooting in my basement which is about 30' long from where I was shooting. Shooting the single ball at this angle caused very little drop.

If anoyone has any suggestions, I'm open to them. I'm considering making the barrel longer, that may help the range and downward slant problems. I'm also considering making the entry point tighter so not all the balls shoot at once.

Wouldn't it increase range if you cut out most of the pieces in the middle of the follower (picture) that could possibly restrict the air flow?

Posted Image

#11 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:48 PM

Thanks for the idea, but airflow really isn't the problem here.

#12 xCraiG iZ BeasT

xCraiG iZ BeasT

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:54 PM

Cool mod! Can't wait to see the ranges!
92% of teens would cry if Miley Cyrus was about to jump off a building.
If you are part of the 8% who would say "Jump B****, JUMP!!!!" . . .
Copy and paste this in your signature.

Get some real tools. Man tools. You're not getting it out with scissors. -Wes7143

#13 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:41 PM

Cool mod! Can't wait to see the ranges!

He already posted ranges.

Then what is the problem? Is it the seal between the balls and the barrel along with the length of the barrel? Sorry if I am totally missing large point.

Edited by cheesypiza001, 26 April 2009 - 08:43 PM.

#14 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:56 PM

Ya quolf balls aren't the softest things in the world. Atleast the ones I have aren't. They would leave a bruise if one was going at the speed of a dart that's for sure.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#15 redhog

redhog

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:21 PM

Is any spin being imparted to the ball as it leaves the launch tube? My thought is that it's possible some forespin is being applied, forcing the balls to fly down toward the ground. It would be the opposite of what airsoft arms try to achieve with their "hop-up" systems, which impart backspin onto their small 6mm ball rounds as they leave the barrels.

As a test you could sacrifice one of your quolf balls and make it a spin test ball -- mark some lines on it with a sharpie or something and watch how it flies out of the launch tube.

#16 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:26 PM

Then what is the problem? Is it the seal between the balls and the barrel along with the length of the barrel? Sorry if I am totally missing large point.

The problem is all the balls flying out at once and the ranges. The problem is that there's too much power for how long the actual barrel part is, I think it least. I'm also scared if I do that more air will be directed behind the first ball, which would then help push all the other balls out.

#17 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:32 PM

Wow! I wouldn't have thought that there was that much wasted air from the Roto-Rocket. Like Carbon stated, though.... Ballgun physics is wacky.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#18 Wenie288

Wenie288

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:47 AM

Have you thought about fucking the balls and making it shoot Stefans you would get better ranges and the they wouldn't bounce all over hell like the balls will

#19 Renegademilitia15

Renegademilitia15

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:40 AM

^^^Have absolutely no idea what that post meant.

Nice job Tantum, and wonderful use of the PAS ball shooting part.

Too bad about the results though, but that usually happens to most projects that seem to work anyway.

Just a question though, do all of the balls just flop out of the barrel, or to they actually get some velocity?
Singled RFS
FA_24's response to Ice's back pain thread:

I used to have that problem until I got circumcised. 15 pounds later I was able to stand up straight.

#20 Wenie288

Wenie288

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:28 PM

What I meant was get rid of the balls it shoots and mod it to where it shoots darts

#21 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:44 PM

What I meant was get rid of the balls it shoots and mod it to where it shoots darts

No one can tell what you are talking about. Punctuation is mandatory. Follow the Code of Conduct. Failure to do so will lead to account suspension. Thanks.

VACC

#22 The Nerf Devil

The Nerf Devil

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:01 PM

Good mod I like how you did it, maybe you could up the ranges by adding something like this.

Have you thought about fucking the balls

So sigable.
It's funny looking through things you said years ago, you realize how much of an ass you came off as sometimes.

#23 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:30 PM

Is any spin being imparted to the ball as it leaves the launch tube? My thought is that it's possible some forespin is being applied, forcing the balls to fly down toward the ground. It would be the opposite of what airsoft arms try to achieve with their "hop-up" systems, which impart backspin onto their small 6mm ball rounds as they leave the barrels.

As a test you could sacrifice one of your quolf balls and make it a spin test ball -- mark some lines on it with a sharpie or something and watch how it flies out of the launch tube.

You know, to be honest, I never thought of that, but that's an excellent idea. It would definitely explain the immediate downward slant. Thanks a ton for the idea. If there is a problem with fore-spin, would anybody know how to fix that?

Wow! I wouldn't have thought that there was that much wasted air from the Roto-Rocket. Like Carbon stated, though.... Ballgun physics is wacky.

I'm not entirely sure that that's the whole problem, but its certainly why all the balls come out at once (at lower pressures they come out one at a time). I may need a shorter barrel, who knows.

^^^Have absolutely no idea what that post meant.

Nice job Tantum, and wonderful use of the PAS ball shooting part.

Too bad about the results though, but that usually happens to most projects that seem to work anyway.

Just a question though, do all of the balls just flop out of the barrel, or to they actually get some velocity?

Thanks. They hit the end of my basement (about 30 feet from where I'm firing) with 3-5 feet of drop. Not bad at all considering three are going at once.

If you had read the whole thread you would know the purpose of this mod was to SHOOT BALLS WITH A HIGHER ROF.

Good mod I like how you did it, maybe you could up the ranges by adding something like this.

Thanks you, and thanks for the idea, but I'm a bit confised by what you mean. Do you mean just singling it for ball use? Because I've done that and the ROF is terrible. Or do you mean hooking it up to a bigger tank? I would just have even more problems with all the balls coming out at once.

To everyone: When I get my hands on some 1/2" PVC, and going to put a tiny sanded segment of it at the bottom of the coupler. Hopefully this will prevent them from all firing at once. I'm also considering extending the barrel with 1.5" PVC.

#24 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 05:53 PM

The ball shooting monstrosity now works! The problem was that the beginning wasn't tight enough. It also needed a real barrel to utilize all of the extra air.

Okay, grab a 1" PVC endcap and glue part of it it into a segment of 1.5" PVC (open end sticking into PVC). I put it in and then dripped glue down the barrel because I didn't want the super glue curing on me while I was still adjusting things. Where the endcap is sticking out wrap apply e-tape so it fits tightly into the PAS ballshooter that we readied earlier.Posted Image

Cut out the back side of the endcap, but don't make the hole have the same ID as the rest of the endcap. We want that a bit smaller so the ball has a harder time getting out. Sand that hole down smooth. I thought this would be enough, but no, balls still shotgunned.Posted Image

Put a ring of epoxy putty right behind the hole you cut (will be closest to balls when barrel is installed). Sand it smooth. You're going to have to experiment with the amount of putty. Put more on then you think is necessary and sand it off if necessary later. I put on just the right amount so that the ball wasn't impossible to load but it still didn't shotgun.Posted Image

Glue the assembly into the gun and there you go (I used hot glue and ducktape because it was still in an experimental stage and I wanted to keep it removable). I suggest you do this at first too and then use some real glue later after you're sure your set-up is working.

Here is a video of the beast. The first video (that I deleted) had a double shot at the end, so the mod isn't perfect. But that was the first time it had happened through all my testing. It isn't perfect but it definitely is reliable enough. Besides, it will never be perfect because of how much air the rotorocket actually puts out.

Posted Image

Edited by TantumBull, 07 June 2009 - 05:53 PM.

#25 Nerf300

Nerf300

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 06:29 PM

I was very dissapointed when I shot this thing several minutes ago. All the balls came out at once. I tried shooting at lower pressures, and they came out one at a time, but ranges were abysmal. Shooting one at a time was okay. But for some reason the balls, immediately after leaving the barrel, slanted down. I was shooting in my basement which is about 30' long from where I was shooting. Shooting the single ball at this angle caused very little ranges. I'm also considering making the entry point tighter so not all the balls shoot at once.

Wow. Just Wow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users