Need Help With Modding A Tek 6

I can't get the mods to work

6 replies to this topic

#1 runedrig

runedrig

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:23 PM

My brother and I are new to nerf and have a bunch of tek 6's we got for cheap. We read that the best way to mod them is just replace the barrels. So we tried to pry the turret apart and that failed so we decided just to put better barrel material into the turret slots. We are trying to shoot stefan micros but they shot like 2 feet and the stock micros we have shoot the same. We have tried both crayola barrels and copper tubing. The copper tubing is not very snug but still shoots like the marker barrel. Why won't they work!?

Okay so we tried completely sawing off the barrels and then gluing the new ones on. We tried many barrel materials to see how they worked. One was crayola barrels and the other was copper tubing. The copper was to loose and the marker fits pretty nice. But they still don't work so I took a bunch of pictures.
Posted Image

Thats the barrels

Posted Image

Front view

Posted Image

This is looking down the crayola barrel sorry about blurriness.

Posted Image

This is the dart I am using though I am 99% sure it is not the darts fault. You can't see the weight but it is there.

So if you need any other photos just tell me..

#2 Herpestidae

Herpestidae

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:01 PM

Are you getting a good seal between the turret and the plunger?

Also copper doesn't work for a barrel material. CPVC, Brass, or PETG is much better. Just make sure that the barrel is kind of snug on the dart.

Edited by Herpestidae, 22 April 2009 - 11:02 PM.

Grimlock no bozo! Grimlock king!

#3 Vincent

Vincent

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:49 PM

Also, make surethat the seal where you joined the barrels to the turret are air tight. It may be the barrels' faults, as markers aren't good barrels, and the copper might not get a good seal. It could always just be a P.O.S. tek 6, too. I had one that got less than 5 feet stock, and since no modding of the firing mechanisms were done, you may have a really bad seal in the plunger, which would mean you need a better o-ring. A bit more information is necessary, including far it shot stock, the dimensions of the copper, and whether your marker barrel is ridged (I couldn't quite tell). Check the air coming out the barrel by holding your hand over it and dry firing. Now do the same with the turret removed. If there is a significant difference, you've got a bad seal either between the barrel and the turret or the turret and the plunger. If you do the same on a portion of the turret where there is no barrel, and it is about same amount of air as when fired without the turret, your barrels are leaking. If they are significantly different, it is a bad seal between the turret and the gun.
QUOTE(Carbon @ Jul 14 2009, 07:50 PM) View Post

Heresy. Nothing beats pink flamingos.

#4 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:27 PM

It's possible you screwed something up while trying to pry out the turret. Otherwise, try another marker, without cutting it down, and make sure that whatever you're using to seal goes around the entire base.
"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#5 oh1134

oh1134

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:23 PM

Blow down the barrel. If there is a leak, that might be the problem. Also, did you use hot glue? Usually other glues work better. I personally use super glue. My hot glued on nightfinders got 40 ft, but with a better seal they got 60.

#6 SonReeceSonJensen

SonReeceSonJensen

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:37 PM

I will back up that plugging the small hole with your finger and blowing down the barrel is a good way to see if you made a tight seal.

Another reason all turret guns have inconsistency and lower ranges than singles is that any misalignment of the turret and the air out-put hole causes major fault in the range. The solution: cock the gun and align, by hand, the turret directly over the out-put hole and fire. This will tell you if the problem is the internals or the barrels.

I have busted my balls the last few weeks trying to get a Tek 10 not to suck, so I feel your pain.
The Difference:
-Guns shoot bullets that kill people
-Blasters shoot darts that tag people

I do not play with guns.

#7 runedrig

runedrig

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:41 PM

Hey guys I just wanted to say thanks for all the help. I went out and found some better barrel material and then slapped it on with hot glue. The results were disappointing but then I read about plumbers goop and I was doubtful but the thing works as nicely as I expected a cheap gun to work. Once again thanks for the comments and help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users