Pas Mod

Breeched

37 replies to this topic

#1 alextwin007

alextwin007

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:18 PM

This mod will give you a breeched pas capable of high rof and great ranges.

First cut a small circle of camping foam (used in bedrolls) to attach to the end of the plunger head. This eliminates dead space and cushions the plunger head.

Posted Image

I added a BBB spring along with the stock. You may want to improve the seal with Teflon tape, but I had no need to. Here is a picture of the plunger assembly.

Posted Image

Next reinforce the catch spring. I found a large spring from a pen and just glued it to the trigger.

Posted Image

For this mood you will not need the orange piece on the end. Get the brown funnel piece and wrap electrical tape around it until a PVC coupler can fit over it snugly and glue in place.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Take the 5/8 brass and wrap electrical tape so it fits in the back of the brown funnel piece. Do this ½ inch from the end of the brass.

Posted Image

With a piece of PVC in the other end of the coupler, push the 5/8 brass into the brown piece as far as it goes and mark the brass.

Posted Image

At the mark you made cut the brass. With the PVC still in the other end of the coupler push the brass in until it stops. Fill up all the dead space inside the brown funnel with hot glue.

Posted Image

The only other internal mod in the gun is silencing, and lots of it. I put camping foam in every place possible.
Posted Image

Now you have to start work on the barrel. First get a 5 1/2” piece of 19/32 and cut it so that 3” of the piece is half. Similar to this picture but with different dimensions. 2 ½” of the brass should still be whole.
Posted Image

Now work on the PVC sheath. The length of the PVC doesn’t matter, it is whatever is comfortable for you. Cut a slot in the PVC ¾” away from one end. The slot should be larger then your dart, I used a 2 ¼” slot. I only have a picture of this steep with the brass in, but you get the picture.

Posted Image

Now just like the picture above attach the 19/32 brass into the PVC sheath so that 2” stick out the back. To do this wrap electrical tape around the brass and then glue it in place.
To make a stopper I got the pronged part of the air restrictor cut of the prongs and made a larger hole.

Posted Image

Wrap e tape around old air restrictor and glue it in the back part of the protruding 19/32” brass.

Next make the barrel portion of the breech. Take the 9/16 brass and put tightening rings on one end. Now get a small piece of PVC, I used 2 ½”. And attach it to the end of the brass without the tightening rings.

Posted Image

Now you’re done. You now have a great gun with high rof and range. Here is a picture of the completed gun.

Posted Image

Edit: As diamondback said I attached a fishing line to the two parts of the breech so that you cant pull the breach out too far, one less thing to think about during a war.

Edited by alextwin007, 11 May 2009 - 03:29 PM.

Join the revolution
Nerf Revolution

#2 DrSpaceman

DrSpaceman

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:21 PM

I was expecting your regular PVC couplered PAS but this is very unique. I like it. Props.
"I'm being very open with you miss... I shouldn't have taken those blue things."
-Dr. Spaceman on 30 Rock

If you see me in the trading forum, I am most likely posting for friends. They are very into trading/buying/selling guns. Me, not so much.

#3 alextwin007

alextwin007

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:23 PM

I was expecting your regular PVC couplered PAS but this is very unique. I like it. Props.

Thanks, I used it at Battle for New York and at BCNO and didn’t see anything like it. So I made a write-up.
Join the revolution
Nerf Revolution

#4 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:29 PM

Yes! Man, I've been waiting for you to do a writeup on this. Looking good. And by the way, I can vouch for this thing's ranges/effectiveness in a war, as I was there for both. Rangewise, it's hitting 120-130 with my washer/felt tip stefans, and it was a force to be reconned with at BCNO. Unless I skipped over it, you didn't mention the function of the fishing line...that was one of my favorite parts. Keeps the breech from coming out to far. Anyway, nice writeup. Clear, concise, and doesn't get too into detail on the basic parts of PAS writeups (Spring, seal, cushion, trigger spring, etc.). I'm currently working on my variation of this, so I'll post it up in this thread once it's done. Again, nice mod.
QUOTE(TxNerfer @ Nov 13 2010, 12:42 PM) View Post

Hey...I got a crazy idea: how about you stop all that sigging stuff? It's not even my thread and it annoys me.

#5 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:57 PM

Ranges? Also, probably a stupid question but how loud is it?
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#6 alextwin007

alextwin007

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:02 PM

Ranges are in the mid 80’s with my darts, but they are so loose they fall through the barrel. With Diamondback’s darts it got just under his snapbow in terms of range. Also the gun is very quiet, I lost the picture but the whole back of the stock is filled with camping foam.
Join the revolution
Nerf Revolution

#7 Pearson2

Pearson2

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:11 PM

Even with the tightening rings in the brass the darts still fall out? Thats unfortunate. If you don't mind me asking where do you get your FBR that you use for darts?
Crooked: Did you see that guy who singled a doomsayer?

Pearson: Why would you single a doomsayer? Thats like taking a Ferarri and putting family seating in it.

#8 alextwin007

alextwin007

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:14 PM

The tightening rings are the only thing that stops the darts from coming out. I have frost king foam and every time I buy more the size changes. This was good for my first batch of darts but my second and third the FBR was smaller.
Join the revolution
Nerf Revolution

#9 white moonlight

white moonlight

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:36 PM

Nice rightup alextwin007 and the ranges are great. I love the use of the foam on the plunger head to eliminate deadspace. I can also vouch for its usefulness in war because I was at Bcno as well and I had a lot of trouble avoiding it.

Great write up.
On his trec to Colonfest...
VengefulWaffle BOY, 12 KILLED IN MOUNTAIN PASS BY WILD RACCON, EXPERTS SAY HE ATTEMPTED TO HOLD IT OFF WITH NERF NITEFINDERS
POLICE SAY: ALCOHOL MAY HAVE BEEN INVOLVED
Guess who he was talking about...

#10 roboman

roboman

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:43 PM

Ranges are in the mid 80’s with my darts, but they are so loose they fall through the barrel. With Diamondback’s darts it got just under his snapbow in terms of range. Also the gun is very quiet, I lost the picture but the whole back of the stock is filled with camping foam.

I wouldn't use 5/8" brass... it's too big for most sizes of foam (unless you use megas). If you get the chance, try 9/16" or 17/32" brass.

Youtube

LS and Retaliator boltsleds are currently available at https://www.facebook.com/RoboM8/

#11 alextwin007

alextwin007

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:45 PM

The 5/8” brass isn’t the barrel material, it’s used to go over the 19/32 in the breech. The actual barrel is 9/16.
Join the revolution
Nerf Revolution

#12 Pearson2

Pearson2

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:00 PM

It has to be the FBR then. Even with the crummy stuff I picked up at Rona they still don't slip out of my brass barrels once I've added tightening rods. The stuff that I've picked up off of Forsaken-Angel works fantastic for that.

I had forgotten to mention earlier but this mod looks great. I'm always a fan of PAS mods as it is probabally my favourite primary based on looks and effectiveness. Would love to see this mod in action.

Pearson: Why would you single a doomsayer? Thats like taking a Ferarri and putting family seating in it.

#13 alextwin007

alextwin007

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:10 PM

Someone took pictures of BCNO but they haven’t posted it yet. If they do I will surly be using this gun.
Join the revolution
Nerf Revolution

#14 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:19 PM

I have some pictures on my dad's camera that I'll get up whenever he gets a chance to give them to me. I've been bugging Echnalaid for the ones he took, but he hasn't put them up yet.
QUOTE(TxNerfer @ Nov 13 2010, 12:42 PM) View Post

Hey...I got a crazy idea: how about you stop all that sigging stuff? It's not even my thread and it annoys me.

#15 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:41 PM

That's about how far mine shoots CDTs from the tip of the 12-inch barrel in my breeched Pump Shotgun. With perfectly fitting darts I get between 100 and 120 feet. But then again I am using a shortened +Bow spring and not one from a BBB.
Posted Image
Whoever came up with the "PAS" abbreviation must have been confused, there's no ACTION in the name of this blaster.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 23 April 2009 - 04:43 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#16 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:27 PM

Nice job. Also how are people getting these low ID springs on the plunger rod I can't figure it out.
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#17 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:16 PM

Nice job. Also how are people getting these low ID springs on the plunger rod I can't figure it out.

What can't you figure out shrub? you've put a key on a keyring before haven't you? Just don't pinch your fingers.

alextwin007, I like your grip... It looks just like mine.

Posted Image
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#18 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:37 PM

OH, well last time I tried that it got stuck about half way so I thought I was going about it wrong I thought I'd ask so I'd make sure I wasn't.
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#19 Pearson2

Pearson2

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:09 PM

What can't you figure out shrub? you've put a key on a keyring before haven't you? Just don't pinch your fingers.

alextwin007, I like your grip... It looks just like mine.

Posted Image

Is that a tri-barrel rear load on the front of your PAS? That looks sweet.

#20 alextwin007

alextwin007

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:11 PM

Just found the picture of some of the silencing. This should give you and idea to how much foam I used. After this shot I added more foam in the handle.

Posted Image

Mr BadWrench like what you did with dropping the stock. Similar idea as mine in creating a pistol grip.
Join the revolution
Nerf Revolution

#21 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:25 PM

I haven't needed insulation in mine at all. Due to the plunger size this is honestly one of the quietest springers I've ever had.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#22 alextwin007

alextwin007

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:29 PM

In many of the other write-ups I saw for this gun people used silencing, so I went ahead and did it. Putting in the silencing cant hurt but I don’t know how loud this gun would be without it.

Edited by alextwin007, 23 April 2009 - 11:30 PM.

Join the revolution
Nerf Revolution

#23 Pearson2

Pearson2

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:30 PM

I can never understand the silencing, forget sneaking around. I want my enemies to know I'm coming.

#24 alextwin007

alextwin007

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:35 PM

My parents don’t like the sound of me firing nerf guns in the house. If all this extra silencing allows me to practice more for a war, then it’s definitely worth it. I agree though that the silencing would do nothing in an actual war.
Join the revolution
Nerf Revolution

#25 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:49 PM

I agree though that the silencing would do nothing in an actual war.

I have to jump in here and throw in my 2 cents.

In larger outdoor wars I find it is helpful to keep my ears wide open for shots and where they are coming from.
If I here a shot come from behind me or to the side then I might instinctively move out of the way.

However if I never hear the shot and the shot is true. Then I will be most undoubtedly hit.

Whenever I have rocked my PAS level 2 at an outdoor war.
There have been many times where I was aiming at someone who had not seen me.

The shot that hit the target would take the target by surprise.
They would have that look on their face like "Someone shot me? I didn't even hear it."

The less loud a spring gun is firing over longer ranges gives the target less time to react.

Less time to react = less time to dodge.
Less time to dodge = Greater chance of scoring a hit.

Nice mod by the way.
I have been meaning to do a kick ass breach to this thing for a while now.

Sluggy: Very nice. I have no idea what deep 13 means. Perhaps something in relation to being conceived.
Either way I like it.

Badwrench: you extended your grip?
I had to do a double take when I saw it.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 23 April 2009 - 11:55 PM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users