Don your greaves of +2 Ringsmithing, Koosh fans

15 replies to this topic

#1 Noob 001

Noob 001

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:41 PM

Hello!
This is a how-to on how to make your own rings for the Koosh Vortex line of guns. Anyone who owns one of these is well aware of the uniqueness of their ammo, but if you are not, read up then come back. They are very cool, practicality aside, but rings can be difficult to come by, and if you are foolish enough to use a Koosh gun in a Nerf war, the oddzon you being the only one with such a gun are extremely high, meaning that no-one will be shooting ammo you can use back at you. I play indoors, and my group has a very low tolerance for modified guns (nothing we have shoots more than 50 feet flat), so there is a niche open for guns that shoot a long way but do so at wussy velocities, and Koosh guns fit the bill, as they can hit 60+ flat and are brutally accurate. However, I need more than a few rings to compete with darts (which we have entirely too many of). So I figured out how to make my own. Matter of fact, I am shocked, SHOCKED that I could find no-one who has tried this yet. Has anyone? Anyway, I could possibly keep the directions to myself and sell them for a pretty penny, but that isn't how the Internet should work. Here is what one of my rings looks like, with some actual rings for comparison.
Posted Image

It took me many hours to perfect the design, but these are, properly made, identical in performance to official Koosh rings. They hurt the smallest bit more, but nowhere near as much as my poorly-singled 70-foot-shooting Titan, so don't worry. No war ought to ban them. Their war practicality is debatable, but I use them to pin down distant covered opponents; I'll probably miss, but they don't want to risk a ring to the face if they try to make a break for it, and they perform admirably at this, mainly because the blasters are accurate enough for people to believe that I might hit them. Many just like these guns for their curiosity value, but even these people might like to have more ammo, and the cool thing is you don't need an actual ring to make these, in case someone has a Koosh gun they're not using because they don't have ammo. Here's how.

Keep in mind: Rotational symmetry. If you add tape on one point on the ring, add an equal mass 180 degrees across from it. The more symmetrical, the better.
Weight. Too heavy and the ring falls quickly. Too light and it flied upwards and stalls. Weight of an official ring is a bit over 4 grams (I don't have that great a scale). Keep it about there, maybe a tad heavier.
Airfoil shape. This is how they fly. If your ring's cross-section is a circle or a ribbon it won't work.
Aerodynamicism. If there's too much friction with the air, as by things sticking out or being messy, it won't fly well.

Step 1: Making the blank.
Take a roll of duct tape (The roll I use is about 4.8 cm wide but this shouldn't matter unless you have absolutely massive tape) and cut a strip of it to a good size. The actual circumference should be about 14.4 cm but cut a bit more so you can overlap it. Make it into a loop, as in the picture.Posted Image

Then cut thin strips of duct tape and apply them at 90-degree intervals along the ring (the overlap is at 0 degrees) to balance the weight.
Posted Image

Then cut it in half crosswise, into two loops. Throw one away. Or you could use it to make another ring.

Then, in the middle of each quadrant cut a slit, leaving about 1.6 cm of material to the bottom. Fold the new flaps over, as in the picture.
Posted Image

It will probably look squarish and odd, so cut a few smaller strips of duct tape and put them over the slits to form it back into a circle.
Posted Image

Step 2: The Weight Belt.
This step adds mass to the ring, and that's about all it does. Cut a strip of tape longer than the ring's circumference in half lengthwise,
Posted Image

then fold it almost in half, leaving a thin strip of adhesive visible at the bottom.
Posted Image

Wrap it around the ring with the adhesive line towards the bottom of the ring, sticking it down as you go.
Posted Image

Then trim the excess and use a small strip of duct tape to cover the seam. Add small strips of duct tape at 90-degree intervals from the seam to balance the weight.
Posted Image

< Intermission>
Stay tuned for the thrilling conclusion! (i.e. Don't post 'till the second half is up)

Edited by Noob 001, 23 April 2009 - 04:37 AM.

#2 Noob 001

Noob 001

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:44 PM

Chapter 2: The promised thrilling conclusion

Step 3: The Airfoil.
This step will give your ring an airfoil cross-section. As in step 2, cut a strip of tape longer than the ring's circumference in half lengthwise, then fold one-sixth towards the middle, then again, making three layers of tape on the top half. Then fold one quarter on the bottom into the middle than, leaving about a millimeter of adhesive visible in the middle. You should have a band of three layers of tape, then a thin strip of visible adhesive, then a band of two layers of tape.
Posted Image

Now cut about 10-12 equidistant triangles into the two-ply layer, as in the picture. Also prepare 10-12 small strips of tape.
Posted Image

Fold the strip of tape in half (the layer of single-ply makes this easy) and place it around the upper perimeter of the ring, triangle-cut side in. See this pic for help.
Posted Image

Step 4: Making the inside airworthy.
Cut a few strips of tape slightly longer than one-third the circumference of the ring and slightly wider than the ring is tall. Apply them to the inside diameter of the ring, leaving as little overlap between them as you can and about a two millimeters between the tops of the strips and the top of the ring.
Posted Image

Trim the bottom of the ring to just where it was before you added the new layer.
Posted Image

Step 5: The outer shell
This is the easy part. Apply electrical tape to the outside of the ring, leaving about 3 millimeters between the top of the electrical tape and the top of the ring. You may need to do this in a few sections.
Posted Image

Trim the excess e-tape from the bottom and you're done!
Posted Image

The ring needs some time to cure (I suspect that the e-tape expands as you hold it), and if you shoot it in the interim it might curve, but you now have a brand new ring! Enjoy it as you get shot by people with dart guns.

Troubleshooting (Pun intended.) You should expect the process to fail A LOT. I have made over a hundred rings and have less than three dozen that work reliably, though many of my first few dozen rings were not made using this process and sucked ferociously. If your ring curves, it may either need time to cure or it might be an irremediable failure. Making the ring too tight (Too small diameter) can cause this. If your ring drops quickly as though *gasp* affected by gravity, make a new ring. I don't know how to fix this problem. Alternatively, turn the gun upside down when you shoot and your ring will vanish into the sky! If your target is a scumbag and tears your ring in half in fury when you shoot him/her with it, run in terror because mortals cannot tear that much duct tape.

One of the cool things about making your own ammo is of course custom ammunition; death darts and whatnot. You can do this with rings too; intentionally make them shoddily and you can shoot around corners they curve so much. Rings that drop can be used to shoot over stuff too. If you make the rings entirely out of masking tape and add some extra weight, they are affected by tiny variables and shoot perfectly straight one time and curve left mightily the next (good for unpredictable opponents). I call these Crazy Ivans, as they are very much rings of last resort. I know there are Firefly fans out there who will get this. Here is a gallery of different rings. Left to right: curving ring, dropping ring, Crazy Ivan, Fist o' Pain, early sucky ring, slightly-later-even-suckier ring.
Posted Image

If you're getting mixed results, try messing with the initial blank circumference, the weight belt, or how many triangle cuts in the airfoil layer. Tell me what works best; I don't know everything.

Logistical: I've put this under General Nerf because that's where the dartsmithing topics are and this is in a similar vein. Sorry, admins, if this is the wrong choice; if you have to ban me, please do it with a lolcat.

That's all folks; tell me how my first post went! If there's demand for 't, I'll post more in-depth troubleshooting (including how to repair defective rings), how to make Crazy Ivans, etc. Farewell.

#3 fallinouttadabox

fallinouttadabox

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:51 PM

This might actually make me want to get a vortex. If you find a pipe where the OD ~= to the ID of the ring, you could make a bunch of perfect sized ones very quickly.
fallinouttadabox (intentionally lowercase): sometimes you want to be somewhere between thinking in the box and thinking out of the box. Trust me, I would know.

#4 Renegademilitia15

Renegademilitia15

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:55 PM

Quite practical. I always loved the look of those vortex guns, but I hated the ammo they shot. Nice work.
Singled RFS
FA_24's response to Ice's back pain thread:

I used to have that problem until I got circumcised. 15 pounds later I was able to stand up straight.

#5 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:05 PM

Best first two posts I've ever seen someone make. ;) Very nice job!
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#6 Possemhunter

Possemhunter

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:55 PM

Good Job!

#7 DrSpaceman

DrSpaceman

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:59 PM

I have to agree.

In your first post you explain very easily how to create a type of ammo that has been discontinued for years. And to top it off, no one else has ever done it before.

Congratulations; You're awesome.
"I'm being very open with you miss... I shouldn't have taken those blue things."
-Dr. Spaceman on 30 Rock

If you see me in the trading forum, I am most likely posting for friends. They are very into trading/buying/selling guns. Me, not so much.

#8 atomatron

atomatron

• Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:02 PM

Nice job, it is a rare thing to see something like this as a first post.

This may be the only reason to not convert my vortex tornado to shoot darts.

Spaceman- I'm sure there are those who have tried..
Perche Germolgi. [Because it shoots]

Rainbow Clan

#9 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:21 PM

the oddzon you being the only one with such a gun are extremely high

Cute pun you made there. I enjoyed it.

Thanks for the writeup too, I'll try making a couple and see how they work.
SexD Warves

#10 Herpestidae

Herpestidae

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:23 PM

Hooray a new member who actually seems to not be retarded! Nice work on doing something that I would have never even thought was possible using homemade materials.
Grimlock no bozo! Grimlock king!

#11 flashflint

flashflint

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:29 PM

Great idea!

If anyone is looking for a koosh gun, hit me up. I have a fair few.

#12 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:35 PM

I love homemade ammo! And newbs who are cool!

#13 DrSpaceman

DrSpaceman

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:44 PM

Nice job, it is a rare thing to see something like this as a first post.

This may be the only reason to not convert my vortex tornado to shoot darts.

Spaceman- I'm sure there are those who have tried..

Yes, I understand there are those that have tried, but trying is very different from being successful.

And since I haven't said it yet, huge props.

Edited by DrSpaceman, 22 April 2009 - 07:45 PM.

"I'm being very open with you miss... I shouldn't have taken those blue things."
-Dr. Spaceman on 30 Rock

If you see me in the trading forum, I am most likely posting for friends. They are very into trading/buying/selling guns. Me, not so much.

#14 Noob 001

Noob 001

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:25 PM

Thanks all! I had no idea so many people would be interested; I thought at best this might help a few people who collect these guns. Anyway:

fallinouttadabox: I had tried using the center post of the Tornado X/2 pistol to size the ID of the rings, but it was a little tricky because the post is effectively octangular. A circular pipe would probably work much better. Thanks for the idea.

Dr. Spaceman and atomatron: Someone has indeed tried it; on some site I stubled upon a while back, someone said that they tried making a ring out of a Livestrong-type bracelet. My school was having some sort of fundraiser where they were selling similar rubber bracelets and I was considering trying it that way, but my friend informed me that buying a bracelet-for-a-cause, chopping it up, then shooting it at people might raise eyebrows. Also, I didn't have the money. Any information on whoever tried that, though, would be interesting, since I haven't been able to find that site since. It has been tried, though.

Atomatron: Don't let this stop you trying to convert your gun. I don't own a Tornado, but it by all accounts has a comfy shell. The reload time also sucks, I understand, since you must load each shot, then fire, then repeat, a la a NiteFinder or similar, except it's Recon-with-stock size. Converting it to shoot darts might improve it. Someone was working on something similar a while back.

#15 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:18 PM

The term "Crazy Ivan" was first introduced during the Cold War to characterize Russian subs that made sudden weaves to allow for increase sonar coverage and perhaps detect a pursuant sub. It has very little to do with sharp 180 turns, as popular usage would suggest.

Other than that, nice job.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#16 Noob 001

Noob 001

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:45 AM

Just Some Bob: That's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping someone would do. Rings made of silicone would be more consistent (and faster to make). I was considering trying something similar involving pouring hot glue into a Play-Doh mold, but abandoned the idea. What were you using as a mold? More Zubber? I hope you get it working.

Zorn's Lemma: Yes, I know about the Russian sub maneuver because I looked up Crazy Ivan on Wikipedia to see if it was copyrighted or something. It undeniably came before Firefly (barring Terminator time travel. Maybe..), but it's hard as heck to relate Russian submarines to Nerf.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users