Photo

Sm 1.5k Trigger Reinforcement

9 replies to this topic

#1 Glint

Glint

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:23 PM

I recently modded a SM 1.5k (new style) for a friend and was quite proud of it. After I closed it back up my mind was nagging me to do some reinforcement, because I've heard that because of increased air pressure of plugging a pump there's way more pressure on the trigger. Regretfully, I ignored it and presented my friend with a shiny SM 1.5k which he hadn't used in months, if not years.

He gave it back to me a few days later with a snapped trigger. Luckily for me, the trigger snapped right above where the actual trigger part (where your finger rests), not up where it pulls the air tank pin. After super gluing the sides together, dabbing some hot glue on there and then spreading Epoxy Putty around on top, it's pretty sturdy.

My only question now is, how can I reinforce up where the pin is so it doesn't snap again? I know cxwq did something here. but I don't really understand what. Has anyone done any reinforcement to theirs?

Edited by Glint, 22 April 2009 - 04:24 PM.

This has spiraled beyond uselessness into utterly stupidy.
- VACC
Read it again until you figure it out.

#2 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:04 PM

Try something similar to this. That's weird, though, I have two 1.5k's and I've never had any trigger problems. Do you think he may have over-pumped it?

#3 Glint

Glint

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:28 PM

I might be able to find some good places on the trigger to put something like that in place, thanks.

I told him 5 pumps max. I took it up to 6 and 6 and a bit testing it, so it had the capability to go farther, but I didn't want him hurting anyone too bad, or the gun itself (too late now). Maybe.

It was a really tough trigger pull at 5, so it was understandable that the trigger broke. It's mostly my fault, and I'm trying to make up for my mistake now as best as possible.

- VACC

#4 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:34 PM

I might be able to find some good places on the trigger to put something like that in place, thanks.

I told him 5 pumps max. I took it up to 6 and 6 and a bit testing it, so it had the capability to go farther, but I didn't want him hurting anyone too bad, or the gun itself (too late now). Maybe.

It was a really tough trigger pull at 5, so it was understandable that the trigger broke. It's mostly my fault, and I'm trying to make up for my mistake now as best as possible.

You shouldn't take it above 4 pumps. imaseoulman and OMC can attest to that. I know some people say you can take any nerf part to 70 psi, but it really just depends on the blaster. Some guns can take it, others can't. It's not worth the risk for something as rare as a 1.5K.

#5 Glint

Glint

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:36 PM

You shouldn't take it above 4 pumps. imaseoulman and OMC can attest to that. I know some people say you can take any nerf part to 70 psi, but it really just depends on the blaster. Some guns can take it, others can't. It's not worth the risk for something as rare as a 1.5K.

Alright, thanks for the advice. I'll tell my friend that when I return it to him.
A bit off topic, but is an SM 1.5k really "that" rare?

- VACC

#6 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:01 PM

A bit off topic, but is an SM 1.5k really "that" rare?

They are getting there. They still fetch $25-$30 stock.

Edited by Galaxy613, 22 April 2009 - 09:01 PM.

[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#7 Glint

Glint

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:39 PM

Ah, alright. Cool.

Well I just put a few pieces of coat hanger wire onto some places on the trigger and tried putting it all back together. Turns out I built the Epoxy Putty too high. After I sanded it down a bit, it was still a bit scratchy against the shell, but it worked nontheless. After a few trigger pulls at like 1 or 2 pumps the trigger fractured through the epoxy putty and the hot glue along the same line as before.

Dang. Turns out I'll go hunting for a replacement. Thanks for the help anyways.
The thread can die now.

- VACC

#8 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:16 PM

Ah, alright. Cool.

Well I just put a few pieces of coat hanger wire onto some places on the trigger and tried putting it all back together. Turns out I built the Epoxy Putty too high. After I sanded it down a bit, it was still a bit scratchy against the shell, but it worked nontheless. After a few trigger pulls at like 1 or 2 pumps the trigger fractured through the epoxy putty and the hot glue along the same line as before.

Dang. Turns out I'll go hunting for a replacement. Thanks for the help anyways.
The thread can die now.

Woah, woah, woah, hold on there, partner. Did you:
1) super glue the broken pieces together?
2) use the coat hanger method WITH a liberal amount of epoxy?

I'm fairly certain that will hold. Be sure that the coat hanger has enough space beyond the break. Also, don't use hot glue. It won't work for this.

But if you still can't get it to work, I remember seeing someone recently putting a snap into a new style 1.5k shell because his 1.5k broke. Search around and PM him about the trigger once you find him.

#9 Glint

Glint

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:05 PM

Woah, woah, woah, hold on there, partner. Did you:
1) super glue the broken pieces together?
2) use the coat hanger method WITH a liberal amount of epoxy?

I'm fairly certain that will hold. Be sure that the coat hanger has enough space beyond the break. Also, don't use hot glue. It won't work for this.

But if you still can't get it to work, I remember seeing someone recently putting a snap into a new style 1.5k shell because his 1.5k broke. Search around and PM him about the trigger once you find him.

I superglued the pieces together at the snap point, waited for it to dry and then kinda brushed/dabbed some hotglue around the sides of the crack, then built up Epoxy putty around it all, along the side and up on the sides of the trigger and everything. Turns out the Putty was built too high, so it wouldn't pull, the shell wouldn't even come together. I sanded it down a bit, but it still scratched and had a lot of resistance along the shell. After a couple pulls it the Putty just ripped right where it had snapped before (I probably sanded it down too much, and then the extra resistance just finished it)

The coat hanger method works, I found multiple places to put them. The problem was the weakness caused by the already-existing fracture. The coat hangers work well. Thanks.

What I think I'll do is take the part that hold the pin and slides along the ridge in the shell and just attach a key ring to it in some way. It's a large piece. The only part that's really missing if I do that it the actual trigger that sticks out of the shell (a bit more off

- VACC

#10 CoasterDynamix757

CoasterDynamix757

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:16 PM

If your still looking for a solution use jb weld! I have used it on my angel breeched ls and it has never let go(even with an ar-15 spring) so I would reccomend that and the coathanger method. Also be sure to roughen up the surfaces with sand paper to ensure a strong hold.

Hope it helps!
Is it fear or courage that compels you?

Coaster's Everything Thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users