The Brass Snapper

Almost purely cosmetic...

26 replies to this topic

#1 willtruncheon

willtruncheon

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:26 PM

This is just a fun little blaster made from a Crossfire. AR's removed, spring replaced, seals redone, o-rings, and a lot of sculpting and painting. Themed for a steampunk larp... specifically, this is supposed to be a "Native American" type pistol.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sculpting work was done using cast-off pieces from a doubleshot shell, kneaditite epoxy, and plumber's putty. I am really happy with how the verdigris paint effect turned out.

Check pages 135-136 of the paintjob/mod picture forum for more of my work. Thanks in advance for any feedback, praise, or spirit-crushing mockery.

#2 Vincent

Vincent

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:30 PM

Great cosmetic work, just not sure it qualifies for its own thread. Still, the best gun I've ever seen that uses extra pieces to make it look better. Good little sidearm.
QUOTE(Carbon @ Jul 14 2009, 07:50 PM) View Post

Heresy. Nothing beats pink flamingos.

#3 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:33 PM

Oh my god, that is amazing. The haven has seen their fair share of "animal guns" and let me tell you that we never ever thought that they would ever amount to anything, cosmetically or functionally. Being able to pull off an animal gun AND making me jizz in my pants when I see it, is like... well really hard. Major fucking props, keep it up. Now I have a new haven cosmetic modder to keep tabs on.

#4 Herpestidae

Herpestidae

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:34 PM

I give that awesome shit a thumbs up!

Something I really like about your work is that every piece has a very different feel to it and you can tell a lot of planning went into each one.

Edited by Herpestidae, 21 April 2009 - 10:30 PM.

Grimlock no bozo! Grimlock king!

#5 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:50 PM

Who are you and why are you so fucking awesome? I'm damn glad you made a thread. I want to give you major props. That Firefly? Holy shit. Fucking amazing.

Edited by Split, 12 June 2009 - 12:47 PM.

Teehee.

#6 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:03 PM

If Split says it, then NO ONE can dispute it. That truly is amazing. I really like where people have taken Nerf guns in terms of cosmetics. Looking back through the mods and paintjobs, start to finish, it seems that stuff is just going up. Collectively as a community we have more and more little gems turning up, like you.

I really enjoy looking at these cosmetic mods, because everyone will end up seeing something different out of every gun. The light on the Firefly? Amazing.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#7 willtruncheon

willtruncheon

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:05 PM

@ Froot: Thanks man! I'm sure you're right about this not being totally worthy of a new thread. I R Noob.

@ Tantum, Herpestidae, and Splitlip, thank you very much for the kind words. I've been visiting this site for a few months, borrowing from the amazing ideas and innovations here, so I'm standing on the shoulders of geniuses. I'm just some dude who likes spending a lot of time making things with little practical value.

#8 Jaymel1989

Jaymel1989

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:21 PM

Your work is purely PHENOMINAL! This guns is beatiful and the others guns you have done are simply outstand. I can;t wait to see more work from you.
~When life hands you lemons. Mod the fuck out of it so it can get 100' flat. also do a apple intergratation to it. it looks nice and adds accuracy~ Jaymel1989

#9 willtruncheon

willtruncheon

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:33 PM

@Busta, you honor me, sir. It really is incredible to see the gradual progression of skill and beauty when you browse through the PJ/Mods forums... what we do is getting within a hair's breadth of being an actual art form.

@ Bob, Hey buddy! Nice to see you on here.

#10 StealthMan

StealthMan

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 285 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:36 PM

Very nicely done will! also, nice work on the barrel! How long did the whole project take you?
<!--quoteo(post=212906:date=Feb 16 2009, 06:30 PM:name=TantumBull)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TantumBull @ Feb 16 2009, 06:30 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not ashamed to admit that I have tried to eat my stefans. They just looked so yummy.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NERF<b>STRONG</b> #108

#11 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:42 PM

That looks amazing...now re-claim the name the name of chubbs
QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#12 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:01 PM

Real nice.
When I first opened this post I thought, "Wow, look at that turtle shell and detail."
Then I brought my face closer to the screen and actually said the following out loud, "Is that a fucking turtle head!"
Almost reminded me of the first boss in Super Contra!

Good work.
I was just checking out some of your work on the mod/PJ thread. You have some serious skill.
Keep it up.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 21 April 2009 - 11:02 PM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#13 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:14 PM

That is some top-notch sculpting there.

Just out of curiosity, what sort of paint do you use? I reckon that the green effects were done by hand, but do you do everything by hand or just certain effects?
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#14 CoasterDynamix757

CoasterDynamix757

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:37 PM

Damnnn!
I hope you do know that putting reptilian body parts onto a gun is against the rules?
Joking aside, that is some grade A painting and sculpting. I better warn saldin of the new competition.
Very nice!
Is it fear or courage that compels you?

Coaster's Everything Thread.

#15 willtruncheon

willtruncheon

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:52 PM

To answer your questions:

This blaster took about ten hours altogether to make (not including time spent drying and looking at the NerfHaven tutorials). A lot of that time was spent kinda staring at it, trying to figure out what should go where, and puzzling over how to assemble it with all the additions. The paint I used was Plasti-Kote for the metallics and very cheap generic acrylic paint for the other colors. The verdigris was accomplished using several washes of green, greenish-blue, and turquoise (a wash is a heavily diluted, very watery layer of paint that settles in the recesses of what you're painting). The Plasti-Kote is great, because it is very durable and adheres beautifully to plastics, but I had some problems with it melting my first layer of spray primer. The whole deal is sealed with three layers of a satin spray whose brand name escapes me.

I paint everything by hand. Someone who is more skilled than I could probably do it with an airbrush, but I am a lot more comfortable with the old-fashioned style, having come from a background of miniature painting.

Thank you all so much for your feedback and support. It's very inspirational.

#16 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:05 AM

Ha, I knew it! You, DT, Salindin... all the great Nerf painters come from backgrounds in model or miniature painting.

Again, awesome work, and I do look forward to seeing more from your neck of the woods.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#17 nerfnukerz

nerfnukerz

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:41 AM

......Whoa. That gun looks like it might want to pop out of the screen and sit on me! Nice work.

I paint everything by hand. Someone who is more skilled than I could probably do it with an airbrush, but I am a lot more comfortable with the old-fashioned style, having come from a background of miniature painting.

Warhammer (40k)? I used to do that (40k), but I sucked, so don't expect any awesome paint jobs by me.
Now you're dead.

#18 bobbybilly60

bobbybilly60

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:49 AM

As alot of people have said, nobody has done cosmetics like that. I love it.
Hooah!

#19 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:38 PM

That's hardcore man.
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#20 Salindin Naz

Salindin Naz

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:45 PM

Wow dude, wow. Tht's some really great work you've done there. I know everyone's already said it, but, great job man, keep it up!!

Salindin

#21 DrSpaceman

DrSpaceman

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:53 PM

That is truly amazing. Major props. Keep it up.
"I'm being very open with you miss... I shouldn't have taken those blue things."
-Dr. Spaceman on 30 Rock

If you see me in the trading forum, I am most likely posting for friends. They are very into trading/buying/selling guns. Me, not so much.

#22 Poseidon

Poseidon

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:34 PM

As said, that thing you got there is amazing stuff. I was surprised no one mentioned the background you put together with the chest and skull... very aesthetically appealing. Keep up the nice work; it'll give lurkers like me some great amusement.
Faith is a living, daring confidence in God's grace, so sure and certain that a man could stake his life on it a thousand times.
-Martin Luther

In Soviet Russia, Mudkipz liek u.

#23 Tigadee

Tigadee

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:50 PM

Just amazing! The amount of work, the details, the PJ,...
No matter where you go, there you are ~ Buckaroo Banzai

#24 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:04 PM

Look, I don't see what the big deal is... It's just a strike fire with some of the MOST FUCKING AWESOME COSMETICS TO SET FOOT ON THIS PLANET!!!

#25 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:41 PM

The only thing I don't like is the hole in the bottom of the grip. Did you misplace the piece that goes there?

Aside from that, it's fucking awesome.

Probably dead by now, or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users