The Foam Shot

Perfect for Integrations

15 replies to this topic

#1 Vincent

Vincent

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:34 PM

My Walgreen’s just got in a shipment of beach items. I don’t know why these were in with them, but I found these excessively small guns called Foam Shots. The look just like miniature TTGs.
Posted Image
They were only 2 bucks each, so I bought two. I’m glad I did. I took them out of the package, and tested their claim of “up to 25 feet”. It was bull. I angled it a bit and shot it with the wind helping it. It managed about 11’. The darts are slightly larger than normal darts, and despite the “Safe & Soft” claim, the ends are hard plastic. Upon examination, the barrel leaks like crazy, and actually ends halfway up the dart. The cocking mechanism was the easiest to pull back I ever felt.
Materials needed:
Saw/PVC Cutters
Thin Spring
Barrel of choice
Duct tape/Glue aplenty
Posted Image
See what I mean about the resemblance to the TTG? This thing is very small, as shown in comparison to a DTG below.
Posted Image
The internals are quite basic, but if you forget how they go together here’s a picture. The longer of the small springs goes on the trigger, the shorter on the catch.
Posted Image
Here it is in comparison with a buzzbee dart. This gun is only about three times the length of the dart.
Posted Image
Pull out the plunger tube and look at the barrel. There should be an orange line where the air restrictor is. Cut below there, a about 1/16” down. The plunger head should be showing.
Posted Image
The plunger head doesn’t need any o-ring addition, as there is no o-ring. It is a semi-flexible cup at the top, and one that creates a very good air seal. Insert your barrel into the end of the barrel a little, and glue/duct tape into place. CPVC with a little duct tape around it fits nicely.
Posted Image
Now remove the plunger and unscrew the head. Pull off the orange tube just behind the spring. Cut like shown.
Posted Image
Put the piece back where it was, without the part you cut off. Now take your thin spring and put it over the stock spring. Put the plunger back together. Take the shells and cut like shown.
Posted Image
I cut a bit farther than the picture shows in the trigger guard, as my fingers didn’t fit. Make sure you make the notch just below the barrel I did if you used duct tape. If you’re using glue, glue the internals in. If you’re using duct tape, reassemble the gun but DO NOT FIRE OR COCK IT. The notch you made is so the duct tape can hold the barrel in place. You can see it in the picture below. Viola! The finished product!
Posted Image
It got an average of 43’, nice for a small gun. I personally think this would be ideal for integration, as the barrel and plunger are very small. Plus, for two bucks, it’s worth it. They can be found in the specialty area and the toy aisle of your local Walgreen’s.
Question? Comments? Fiery Wrath?

Edited by Froot, 16 April 2009 - 09:38 AM.

QUOTE(Carbon @ Jul 14 2009, 07:50 PM) View Post

Heresy. Nothing beats pink flamingos.

#2 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:37 PM

Hmm, certainly interesting, but it lacks the range/velocity to make it an effective side-arm.

#3 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:40 PM

Nicely done. You found a $2 P.O.S and turned it into a decent sidearm. Rogue says-"thumbs up!"
IRC chat: louiec3-- he offered $500 for someone to build a bomb he could send to his ex wife
Rknight-- wow......N9---your dad is in trouble now!

#4 umpshaplapa

umpshaplapa

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:42 PM

It would probably be better with a spring addiction/replacement, sense you said it's spring was quite weak.
QUOTE(Talio @ Jun 29 2009, 01:50 PM) View Post

i got a black belt in noob banning in 2004.

#5 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:49 PM

It would probably be better with a spring addiction/replacement, sense you said it's spring was quite weak.

That would be near impossible because of the quality of this gun, it would explode before it could even be cocked.

#6 minsc

minsc

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:50 PM

Now take your maverick spring and put it over the stock spring. Put the plunger back together. Take the shells and cut like shown.

I think this is made by the same brand that made another gun I found for 2 bucks. No air restrictor, 1 in barrel, same type of darts. It shot like 20 feet after too much modding to be worth it.
QUOTE(Zorn's Lemma @ Jul 25 2010, 12:18 AM) View Post

You'll do a lot better if you spread the lips with the front. Trying to wriggle the back in there first seems a bit counterintuitive.

RSCBow

#7 Vincent

Vincent

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:19 PM

Spring addiction.....need...spring......

On topic: I added a maverick spring, which added quite a bit of power to it. Of course, a stronger spring would be better....but I'll have to find one. I went back and found out they were buy two get one free, and so because they were out of these, I got a jet launcher by the same company. Much nicer spring on it, but it has no capability to shoot darts. I think I'll take the spring off it and put it in one of these. The quality is crap, true, but it can handle enough stress for a decent power spring. I plan to get brass later in the week, And I think that might help my ranges. Plus, this was with stock darts. I have yet to try stefans. I'm going to try a 2.0 with a better spring, I'll post ranges tomorrow sometime most likely.

#8 xbox180

xbox180

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:13 AM

That's weird, I have the exact same TTG knockoff but it uses a o-ring, I got it for 50. cents at target and all I needed to do was improve the plunger seal. No it gets about 56'3 and 78'2 with 3 super strong bungies.
"Congrats on Buy a Peice of Plastic thats most likely older than you, for half- a grand, your awesome man." Nerf Monkey

My Webpage
MY Youtube

#9 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:06 AM

That's weird, I have the exact same TTG knockoff but it uses a o-ring, I got it for 50. cents at target and all I needed to do was improve the plunger seal. No it gets about 56'3 and 78'2 with 3 super strong bungies.

Holy bargain Blaster Batman!! I need to go find one of these, good work Xbox180!
IRC chat: louiec3-- he offered $500 for someone to build a bomb he could send to his ex wife
Rknight-- wow......N9---your dad is in trouble now!

#10 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:23 AM

I found a few of these at Dollarama(should be changed to dollar fifty arama) and with a new spring, new seal, and PETG barrel I can get over 50ft consistently. That is before I let some fat kid use it and he ended up pissing all over it...
"Sorry rokor...my cousin is gay too...it's okay...we're tolerant"
Talio in Shoutbox.

#11 Vincent

Vincent

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:37 AM

Sorry, going to have to edit the post up top, but just in case you guys don't notice it, it wasn't a mav spring. I checked a bit after, and I'm not sure what it's from. It may have belonged in my knockoff tech 6......but basically just use a pretty thin spring. I haven't tried banding it, I think I might. I put in a third spring last night, and performance decreased.

#12 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:28 PM

I'm not to crazy about the tape at the end.
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#13 bobbybilly60

bobbybilly60

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:10 PM

Nice job, might as well post because you keep saying its sad on how many post I have. Oh and I got a spring that I can give to you later... for a price.
Hooah!

#14 Vincent

Vincent

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:15 PM

Nice job, might as well post because you keep saying its sad on how many post I have. Oh and I got a spring that I can give to you later... for a price.

Ok, but it has to be thinner than a mav spring. It's a pretty small plunger tube. I was working on the gun a bit more, and found that the air volume is so low, it's pretty difficult to add any more range I got via that. I think a brass barrel and stefans would make it better, but I can't think of much else. By the way, if you do buy one, just to be on the safe side, get a blue one. I managed to cut the blue one as I needed to, but the yellow one cracked. I put on blue tape, so it matches, and cut off the whole ammo holder/trigger guard area. I recommend it, as it is much easier to hold now, and the ammo holders don't actually hold nerf darts. If you go to Walgreen's, I wouldn't get the jet or foam missile launcher. Niether is very useful. The Missile launcher is actually worse quality even though it costs 4 bucks, and is essentially the same thing with a different barrel and a slightly stronger spring. The jet launcher has no dart shooting capacity, although it is fun with the jet.

EDIT: Post 42! Thanks for all the fish!

Edited by Froot, 16 April 2009 - 07:16 PM.

#15 bobbybilly60

bobbybilly60

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:30 PM

Ok, but it has to be thinner than a mav spring. It's a pretty small plunger tube. I was working on the gun a bit more, and found that the air volume is so low, it's pretty difficult to add any more range I got via that. I think a brass barrel and stefans would make it better, but I can't think of much else. By the way, if you do buy one, just to be on the safe side, get a blue one. I managed to cut the blue one as I needed to, but the yellow one cracked. I put on blue tape, so it matches, and cut off the whole ammo holder/trigger guard area. I recommend it, as it is much easier to hold now, and the ammo holders don't actually hold nerf darts. If you go to Walgreen's, I wouldn't get the jet or foam missile launcher. Niether is very useful. The Missile launcher is actually worse quality even though it costs 4 bucks, and is essentially the same thing with a different barrel and a slightly stronger spring. The jet launcher has no dart shooting capacity, although it is fun with the jet.

Pretty lengthy responce...
Thin as in width of the spring I assume and I have another spring that is small but strong.

Oh and I said nothing about buying the gun. ^_^
Hooah!

#16 Vincent

Vincent

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:36 PM

Pretty lengthy responce...
Thin as in width of the spring I assume and I have another spring that is small but strong.

Oh and I said nothing about buying the gun. ^_^

I know, I was just talking to the general public there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users