"We got the tools, we got the talent"

71 replies to this topic

#51 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:27 PM

Are we allowed to update our entries after posted? Mine is functional but I am not happy with trigger function.... Then again, I might never change it. I was not sure If I should paint it until I have a smoother trigger for fear of damaging finish while disassembling it.

Don

Then just wait until closer to the deadline to submit it.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#52 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:03 AM

This is awesome. I can't wait to get my project finished up.

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#53 flashflint

flashflint

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:08 AM

One thing that is not very clear is. Can you post the writeup so that no one can steal your idea, but not officially enter it until a later date?

#54 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:23 PM

Will posting a write up, without designating it as a contest entry, make it ineligible?

No. You could make a bunch of new write-ups during the entry acceptance period and simply decide closer to the deadline which one to submit.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 18 April 2009 - 07:24 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#55 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:45 AM

Are we allowed to update our entries after posted? Mine is functional but I am not happy with trigger function.... Then again, I might never change it. I was not sure If I should paint it until I have a smoother trigger for fear of damaging finish while disassembling it.

Don

Then just wait until closer to the deadline to submit it.

Just to clarify, are we aloud to update our entries after posting the link in the submission thread or not? You never quite answered the question.

Thanks for the help

Edited by PointBlank, 25 April 2009 - 05:06 PM.

You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#56 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:44 PM

Just to clarify, are we aloud to update our entries after posting the link in the submission thread or not?

Please don't. If you think there's any chance at all that you may need to update your write-up between when you post it and the deadline, then simply wait until closer to the deadline to submit the link in the thread.

If you've already submitted it then oh-well. We probably won't be scoring write-ups until after the deadline anyways.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 25 April 2009 - 08:45 PM.

#57 Icey

Icey

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:29 PM

Hypothetically speaking, if I was going to integrate a Nite-finder into a Blast-bazooka would I have to show the modifications I did to the Nite-finder and Blast-bazooka as well as showing the integration? Thank you.
Haven't been on here since what...like 2006?

#58 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:08 PM

Hypothetically speaking, if I was going to integrate a Nite-finder into a Blast-bazooka would I have to show the modifications I did to the Nite-finder and Blast-bazooka as well as showing the integration? Thank you.

Hypothetically "have to" no.

#59 Link

Link

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:51 PM

Quick question, in the "restrictions" for the contest, it never specifies if your entry has to be some kind of modification on a BLASTER. Would an entry with say, a Longshot CS-6 scope modification be judged? Any help would be appreciated, maybe I didn't read the post thoroughly.

#60 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:01 PM

The method of propulsion for your modified blaster can only be the original installed system of the blaster (modded or unmodded), propulsion systems cannibalized from other blasters, or any combination thereof. If you choose to use an alternative propulsion system, it can't be of a dangerous variety, nor can it be a system used by airsoft or paintball. Restrictions include compressed air tanks (store bought, motorized or homemade), green gas, carbon dioxide, and flammable gases. No spud cannon systems. If you have an idea for something other than what is listed, contact one of the judges and the 3 shall decide whether to allow it or not on a case-by-case basis.

As per this portion of the restrictions section, it does mention blaster. If you are concealing a blaster within a LS scope (really a sight, but Hasbro calls it a scope, so whatever) then that is fine, but if you are modifying it to be a real scope, then it does not apply here.

99% of the mods on the forums are of blasters, so the contest is geared towards the modification of blasters.

Edited by badger, 20 May 2009 - 08:01 PM.

As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#61 Link

Link

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:17 PM

Alright, thank you for explaining.

#62 g-force

g-force

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:21 PM

I nominate chubbs because it's a beautiful beautiful thing.
QUOTE(Carbon @ Jul 28 2008, 03:25 AM) View Post

My god, you actually built it. To that, all I can say is, "bravo".

Chubbs

#63 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:03 PM

I nominate chubbs because it's a beautiful beautiful thing.

Congrats on being too lazy to read the contest rules. Which state: "Only new modifications will be permitted and judged."
Which means the write-up would have to have been posted during the period that the contest is open to submissions.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 09 June 2009 - 12:20 PM.

#64 Fome

Fome

• Banned
  • 312 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 05:09 AM

This competition will run from 4/13/2009 at 9:00 PM EST until 7/24/2009 9:00 PM EST. The winners for each forum will be announced within the next couple of days in the first post of the competition thread along with a list of the scores for all those that had entered. The final winner will be determined a couple of days later and will be posted in a new thread on all three forums congratulating him or her with the final scores for all three finalists.

The only reason I've ever watched American Idol was in the beginning where the particularly noteworthy contestants were either celebrated or ridiculed mercilessly. In a similar vein, I'd like to request that the judges include personal comments/thoughts/musings on the entries that stand out (either for good or bad). I would love to hear why the entries are scored the way they are, not just the end result. This could be beneficial for the NIC in a multitude of ways.

A potential format could go:

Modification #1
Score: X
FA24: needs more barrels... and blood
G: Balls.

Modification #2
Score: X
FA24: i really liked this mod.
CS: this mod would be better with plasma-phase beams instead of laser-interface drives, mcmaster part #2593221. Good try though.

Modification #3
Score:X

no comments.

ETC.

Just an idea, pardon the terrible impersonations.

Edited by Fome, 03 July 2009 - 05:09 AM.

#65 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 01:07 PM

The biggest reason why I chose for there to be no feedback comments from the judges about a mod was that it sometimes discourages entrants from trying again. There are people out there that don't take constructive criticism well and actually get pissed. I am simply trying to make it easier for the judges who are giving their free time to score these entries and to avoid any bullshit.

Speaking of which, we have officially 3 weeks left until the entry period will expire. If you haven't submitted your mod yet, better do so soon.

There has also been an update to the prizes to be posted after this weekend. Third place will still just be the NF, but there is an addition to Second place and a sweet change to First place.

Finally, a piece of advice for all those entering the contest. Why are most of you just entering here at NH? There's nothing wrong with it and this is no way a slant towards the Haven, but you do realize that you have a better chance of winning if you enter at one of the other forums. Last time I checked the count, NH had close to 10 entries, NHQ, has 4 or 5, and FU had 2 or 3. You have a much better chance of winning the first round if you go to a forum that has less entries. Just putting out a little piece of strategy and tactics out there for you. Why compete against, when the entry period ends, a field of possibly 15+ at NH when you can go against a much smaller field at one on of the other two forums?

Good luck everyone!
As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

#66 AJAQ

AJAQ

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:03 PM

I've been working on mine for a bit now, but it is going to be tight for getting it done without trashing it.

*crosses fingers, picks knife back up*
~AJAQ~

#67 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 10:03 PM

Hey everyone! There are only 6 days left before the entry window is closed on the 24th at midnight EST this coming Friday. I wanted to touch base with everyone to get this out, as well as to an overdue update to the prizes. I got one of the changes a coupleof months ago, so this will really sweeten the pot for anyone that has been holding back from entering.

First Place---In addition to the stock NF you get for winning for the forum you entered on and getting the $25 deposit to your PayPal account (or $25 Visa GiftCard if you don't have PayPal), you are now getting, instead of a BBB modded by Captain Slug, you are now getting a SM1500 modded by Slug.

Second Place---You win the stock NF and now you also get a NIB AT2K from my collection. We figured that second place needed a lttle bit more.

Third Place---You are still winning the NF and the satisfaction that you won for the forum you posted your entry onto.

Get cracking everyone!!! Not much time left to get those entries in.
As Carbon once said,

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

#68 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:08 PM

I was actually expecting you to close the submission thread when the deadline was met. I also like the new prizes alot more. One more thing; are you gonna have another one within the near future? (By which I mean "within a year or so".)

Edited by wing'd man, 25 July 2009 - 08:21 PM.

#69 Ebox

Ebox

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:42 PM

I have not seen any pics of the bbb that the contest winner would be receaving are there ever going to be any pictures?

#70 white moonlight

white moonlight

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:39 PM

I have not seen any pics of the bbb that the contest winner would be receaving are there ever going to be any pictures?

No. Well not of a BBB at least. Slug is modding an SM1.5k for the winner now.

Also I don't think the winner on nerfhaven has been determined yet, let alone the winner from all 3 major
forums.
On his trec to Colonfest...
VengefulWaffle BOY, 12 KILLED IN MOUNTAIN PASS BY WILD RACCON, EXPERTS SAY HE ATTEMPTED TO HOLD IT OFF WITH NERF NITEFINDERS
POLICE SAY: ALCOHOL MAY HAVE BEEN INVOLVED
Guess who he was talking about...

#71 sublimedom777

sublimedom777

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 02:41 PM

I hate to be a nuisance, but is there a projected date for the scores to come back? This is like waiting for AP or SAT scores, except if that had they joy of Christmas involved.

Last of the Sex Dwarves, Head of Waifu Relations, Fetishizer of Blasters, The Far Warring, Mini-Van Driver, Possessor of Mattels, and Warden of the Manongahela

We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#72 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:44 AM

I hate to be a nuisance, but is there a projected date for the scores to come back? This is like waiting for AP or SAT scores, except if that had they joy of Christmas involved.

Are you paying us to do all this work?
If not then quit yer bitchin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users