71 replies to this topic

#1 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:16 PM

The Mother of All Modification Contests

Ladies and gentlemen! Introducing the first ever multi-forum modification competition! It is about time that we see who in the NIC can produce the best mod around. This is a two-tier competition with a decent prize if you win for the forum you enter on and a Grand Prize for the winner of the whole competition.

Each major forum (NerfHaven, NerfHQ, FoamUniverse) has a thread for the sole purpose of entrants posting their new modifications. WE ASK THAT YOU DO NOT POST IN THE COMPETITION FORUM IF YOU ARE NOT POSTING AN ENTRY. THIS IS TO REDUCE CONFUSION FOR THE JUDGES. ALL NON-COMPETITION ENTRIES WILL BE REMOVED BY THE ADMINISTRATOR-JUDGE. No previously posted modifications will be allowed to be used nor will any modifications used in another contest. Only new modifications will be permitted and judged. Only one entry allowed period. Entries on more than one forum will disqualify your entries from the competition on all forums. This will be monitored through IP addresses since an administrator will be a judge from each forum. Don't try to trick the judges; or just don't be a dick.

Each forum has a panel of three judges, consisting of an Administrator (or equivalent), Moderator (or equivalent) and active modder. The judges can enter the competition, but not on the forum that they are acting as a judge for the purposes of this contest.

Submissions will be judged based on the following criteria listed below. Scores will range from 1-10 for each section to be judged by all three judges individually:
  • Functionality---How easy or hard it would be to use in a Nerf war. The easier to prime and recover, the better. This will be judged based on a major war where campers are not tolerated and usually annihilated quickly, not a war where you are the only experienced one and you just sit in the bushes picking people off. Real combat against various styles of play. The more scenarios the blaster is good for, the better.
  • Cleanliness---The closer to utterly stock it appears, the better. Integrations that still look stock will benefit here. If external, duct tape and copious amounts of hot glue will be bad. Using a paint job to clean up and conceal any nastiness as a result of the modifying process will be good, but the paint job itself will not be a factor in the judging to be considerate of the artistically inept.
  • Mod Difficulty---The easier it is to duplicate, the better. If the mod can be done by anyone with any modifying skill level, the more beneficial it is to the whole of the NIC, hence your score will be higher. If a rocket scientist attempting your modification needs to get a consult to figure it out or you need to have access to advanced equipment, your score will be lower.
  • Writeup Quality---A fully detailed writeup will fair much better here, including pictures and proper grammar. If you detail every step, but it is hard to decipher what you said, you lose points. Videos are good, but they won't help you if that is the major part of your writeup. Lazy people use videos solely for their mods. Posting ranges will help you, but only in the fact that they are posted. Longer ranges will not get you more points. Lying about your ranges will cost you points though as it affects the writeup as a whole. Probably would be best if you don't include them at all but it is up to you.
  • Creativity---If you simply converted the blaster to fire stefans, that is good, but not creative. To be able to fire ALL ammo styles, that is great! Integrating some other blaster's internals into the shell of another and removing the original internals isn't overly creative, but utilizing both in concert is.
There are some restrictions for entries. Some are obvious, some not:
  • I understand that, after a while, many mods do begin to look alike. If yours is based on someone else's, give credit where credit is due, but there better be real differences. If you simply used a different barrel material, but otherwise the mod is exactly the same as another previously existing mod, it will not be judged.
  • It can only fire, whether one of or multiples of, stock ammo of any type or stefans/CDTS/Slug darts. No death darts, airsoft rounds, paintballs, or other non-standard projectiles.
  • The method of propulsion for your modified blaster can only be the original installed system of the blaster (modded or unmodded), propulsion systems cannibalized from other blasters, or any combination thereof. If you choose to use an alternative propulsion system, it can't be of a dangerous variety, nor can it be a system used by airsoft or paintball. Restrictions include compressed air tanks (store bought, motorized or homemade), green gas, carbon dioxide, and flammable gases. No spud cannon systems. If you have an idea for something other than what is listed, contact one of the judges and the 3 shall decide whether to allow it or not on a case-by-case basis.
Once a winner is declared on each forum, those three winning mods will then compete against each other. The 6 judges that had not voted on their works will now give their scores. For example, the NH winner will now be scored by the NHQ and FU judges. The scores that were given by the first three judges will not be a part of the final score. In other words, the scores that the NH winner gets will not be used in the final judging, therefore allowing for a level playing field. The highest score of the final 3 is the winner.

The prizes are as follows:

Forum winners will receive a stock NF. Everyone can use a NF. Everyone probably owns a NF. Win for your forum and you can too.

The big winner of the whole competition will receive a BBB modified by Captain Slug himself. A picture of the completed product will be posted in the first post of this thread when it becomes available.

This competition will run from 4/13/2009 at 9:00 PM EST until 7/24/2009 9:00 PM EST. The winners for each forum will be announced within the next couple of days in the first post of the competition thread along with a list of the scores for all those that had entered. The final winner will be determined a couple of days later and will be posted in a new thread on all three forums congratulating him or her with the final scores for all three finalists.

The judges for NerfHaven are:
  • Groove
  • CaptainSlug
  • Forsaken_angel24
Time to dust off your tools, pimp out your sister to earn money for supplies, and show off to everyone in the NIC what you can create. Good luck everyone!!!

EDIT: The official submission thread is >>> HERE <<<

-Groove

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#2 minsc

minsc

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:34 PM

Five bucks on Splitlip. Also, this is quite the awesome idea. 3 forums, sweet prizes, and fresh ideas? I think I'm going to cry.
QUOTE(Zorn's Lemma @ Jul 25 2010, 12:18 AM) View Post

You'll do a lot better if you spread the lips with the front. Trying to wriggle the back in there first seems a bit counterintuitive.

RSCBow

#3 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:43 PM

Enough time to do my BBBB. I was going to do most of it anyways and now I have a reason. Also does price matter in the the judging like most economical or something? I know I most likely won't win I just want to be part of it.

Edited by Longshot Wielder, 13 April 2009 - 08:45 PM.

Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#4 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:47 PM

I'm in. Hey, what if I use a super-über rare gun like the Larami Ball Blaster? Would that take away from my "Mod Difficulty" score, because the blaster is hard-to-find?
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#5 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:35 PM

do homemades count? or must it be an already existing gun?
QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#6 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:57 PM

Would it be possible for one to submit a completed modification that has already been posted by said person as an un-finished project? If so, how different would it have to be?

Also, does the gun have to be war-legal?

Edited by PointBlank, 13 April 2009 - 09:58 PM.

You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#7 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:50 PM

do homemades count? or must it be an already existing gun?

You can't really modify a homemade beyond editing the blueprint that someone else provided, so no.

Also, does the gun have to be war-legal?

No, but that will definitely damage your potential "Functionality" score.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 14 April 2009 - 11:02 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#8 TheNerfLoki

TheNerfLoki

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:36 AM

Whoops.

Edited by TheNerfLoki, 14 April 2009 - 10:03 AM.

Am I the only one who uses the sig function for a sig?
TNL,

#9 Renegademilitia15

Renegademilitia15

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:50 AM

They can't be already posted modifications, right?

No previously posted modifications will be allowed.
Only new modifications will be permitted and judged.

It helps to read.
Singled RFS
FA_24's response to Ice's back pain thread:

I used to have that problem until I got circumcised. 15 pounds later I was able to stand up straight.

#10 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:53 AM

They can't be already posted modifications, right?

No previously posted modifications will be allowed to be used nor will any modifications used in another contest.

Correct

-EDIT - Beaten to the punch.

Edited by Ambience 327, 14 April 2009 - 09:53 AM.

Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#11 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:46 AM

Sorry if this is obvious, but I've read through both threads and haven't found an answer. Do we post the write up in the modifications section as a stand-alone thread, and then provide a link to it in the submissions thread? Or do we post the write-up in the submissions thread?

Also, let's I slap a marvelous salvo onto my gun and the salvo tanks are clearly visible, in addition to modding it for the submission. Will the points for functionality provide a net gain with the loss of points for cleanliness? Would it be better to just not include something like that in the write-up?

#12 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:57 AM

Do we post the write up in the modifications section as a stand-alone thread, and then provide a link to it in the submissions thread?

Yes

Also, let's I slap a marvelous salvo onto my gun and the salvo tanks are clearly visible, in addition to modding it for the submission. Will the points for functionality provide a net gain with the loss of points for cleanliness? Would it be better to just not include something like that in the write-up?

We're not going to have a standardized score sheet. If you want to do it and you intend to use it, do it. Don't do something simply because it might affect your potential score.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#13 ricochet rebels

ricochet rebels

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:20 AM

Okay I read all the posts several times but I`m still not sure if I`m aloud to put an AT2K pump in the gun I`m planing on entering... so can I?

#14 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:12 PM

Okay I read all the posts several times but I`m still not sure if I`m aloud to put an AT2K pump in the gun I`m planing on entering... so can I?

You can do whatever you like. If you're looking for explicit permission from the judges for each and every component of your modification. you're not going to get it. As long as it is an original modification to a nerf/lanard/buzzbee/whatever brand gun that you have not posted previous to the contest, it is eligible for the contest. They're not going to tell you how many points will be awarded for hypothetical modifications. If you want to enter, just mod something and submit it.

#15 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:38 PM

Will some crazy integrations count? As in like, 2-3 guns in one big beastly Mofo?

http://fairview.dead...eadfrontier.com

Great game, zombie apocalypse MMORPG. I'm acer34p3r on there.

#16 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:29 PM

I'm in. Hey, what if I use a super-über rare gun like the Larami Ball Blaster? Would that take away from my "Mod Difficulty" score, because the blaster is hard-to-find?

Could someone of authority please answer my question?
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#17 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:57 PM

Fucking A' people, just mod a gun and submit it, the last two people just repeated what Vacc just said not to do. I highly doubt the 3 panel judges are going to be as meticulous as you guys are suspecting. It is a mod contest, mod it like you would a normal write-up and submit it if you want to.
Southeast Nerf Contingent

#18 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:15 PM

I think I had a legitimate question. I was not presenting a hypothetical mod, I was asking about one of the rules.
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#19 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:33 PM

To put it simply, I would say the rarity of the gun will probably not count towards "Mod difficulty" as acquiring the gun has nothing to do with how hard it is to modify.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#20 spartan062

spartan062

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:42 PM

Is there a deadline for the contest? Oops, I missed that part. Sorry.

Edited by spartan.062, 14 April 2009 - 04:53 PM.

Join the Revolution- NerfRevolution.com

#21 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:45 PM

Is there a deadline for the contest?

Maybe you should read the entire first post?
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#22 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:07 PM

Could I do a mod that fires thistype of ammo- homemade rockets? This gun would also fire stefans, but have various other types of ammo like these rockets.

#23 spartan062

spartan062

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:14 PM

Could I do a mod that fires thistype of ammo- homemade rockets? This gun would also fire stefans, but have various other types of ammo like these rockets.

He specifically said that the judges would not give anyone explicit permission for each part of their mod.

Anyways, I think that that would be allowed. It is not any of the things he said that you can't use. And it IS just a big stefan. . .

Edited by spartan.062, 14 April 2009 - 07:39 PM.

Join the Revolution- NerfRevolution.com

#24 deadshooter711

deadshooter711

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:54 PM

Wait, is the modded BBB modified by your schematics, or the way the winner wants it modded? I know it probably doesn't matter but I just like to know things.

My Nerf War Pictures

IT'S EVERYWHERE!

#25 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:50 PM

Can one of the judges answer this?

Edited by Lt. Stefan, 15 April 2009 - 12:30 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users