Brass Barrel Cb

24 replies to this topic

#1 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 17 December 2002 - 11:39 PM

Well, I have this extra crossbow just kicking around, so I think it's time I completely brass barrel mod a Crossbow. It will be a micro-dart rig I suppose, so I could lighten the tension currently on the plunger (which causes quite the kick). I think I'd like to put a single holster on it, but I might go another way, I'm not so sure yet, I just don't want ANY tape on the damn thing. Any suggestions/crazy ideas?

VACC

#2 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 12:00 AM

Hm...I've got an idea for ya.

What I'm doing to my Crossbow is taking off (literally ripping off) the section underneath the barrel (after you've re-located it), where the X1500 mod would go, and putting a gun underneath there. I'm in the process of putting a Splitfire underneath it, so that I can hold onto the Crossbow grip and use the Splitfire grip I attached underneath the main barrel. Kinda gives it a SWAT style to it, but...it's up to you. If it doesn't fit your playstyle then don't go for it. If you wanna try something different, go for it. Maybe try putting a Secret Shot 2 underneath there, or maybe (this is a crazy idea...) hook up a Blastfire so that there's a pentagonal shape around the main barrel? One shot plus 5 extra rapid fires ones? I don't know if it's possible, but then again, it's just a crazy idea.

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#3 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 12:03 AM

Nah, I've actually been inspired by Spoon once again, and I've decided that I'm going to add an additional barrel that will also operate under the power of the primary spring. I also want to add a sort of rail interface system on either side of the front of the gun for the attatchment and detatchment of holsters and other accessories.

VACC

#4 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 03:50 PM

Dammit Vacc, you got me to thinking. Now that I have another X-Bow on the way (I should have it right after Christmas), I think it would be a good idea to brass it. Just because it could very well be an extremely reliable gun, more so than my air reliant Nerf guns like the Daemon, or Cain. If you don't mind I'd like to maybe sit down with you or your Horsemen buddies and see if you guys have any ideas, and see what we could accomplish. Not that you guys don't have enough to do already, I just figured it would be cool if you felt like it.

Just like you said, I don't want any tape on the gun either. I'd like a much more streamlined, sexy appearance but still keep the gun top notch and badass. I think brass is the way to go too, although I'm still iffy about it. What do you think I should do? Should I go with megas or micros? The LCM sticks mostly to megas, so I don't want to be the only idiot running around in circles shooting micros, only to have megas fired back. Any ideas?

2007 Great American GoreFest Champion (Aug. 4, Apoc)

#5 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 05:10 PM

Should I go with megas or micros? The LCM sticks mostly to megas, so I don't want to be the only idiot running around in circles shooting micros, only to have megas fired back. Any ideas?

Eh... why not?

Micros have 10-30' more useful range in a high power gun than megas. I'd love to be the only one using them. Unfortunately, all the west coast kids have caught up with the times and are using micros now.

If you're worried about running out of ammo I'd suggest you invest a little time in making enough darts to last you the war. You don't really want to shoot other people's darts anyhow since you have no control over the quality.

#6 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 06:14 PM

...I'd love to be the only one using them. Unfortunately, all the west coast kids have caught up with the times and are using micros now.

My lord.

All the kiddies I play with use either PC's, BBB's, or SM 1500's or SM 750's. They all shoot friggin' micros. I have to special make my micro stefans that I use in my Crossbow, because if I didn't they'd all look the same...

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#7 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 06:48 PM

Evil, I'd suggest going Micro as an alternative to your other crossbow. I think I'm going to get at least famine to go micro, and hopefully we'll all have some of each. If you don't have a micro alternative you simply won't be able to return our fire.

VACC

#8 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 06:53 PM

If you don't have a micro alternative you simply won't be able to return our fire.

VACC

Is that a threat Vacc? Hehe. Yea, I think I might go micro in this case. Which is a first for me, except for when I was toting the ole' Evil BlowGun around back in the day. Looks like brass for me, now, where to get some? Hmmm...
2007 Great American GoreFest Champion (Aug. 4, Apoc)

#9 Zero Talent

Zero Talent

• Contributors
  • 606 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 07:00 PM

...I'm not so sure yet, I just don't want ANY tape on the damn thing.

VACC

*Applause*

I never really liked the whole duct tape movement, so I can quite appreciate this turn of heart.

Multiple barrels, off the main spring tube, eh? Using some kind of air divertor or something? If you'd like, I can show you a design for a homemade turret (Though I'm sure you could do this yourself, easy, if you wanted it).

Hmmm... I may have to steal that barrel switcher idea... So simple, yet somehow elusive.

Oh, for the rail interface; What kind of materials are you thinking of using? Something beyond metal wire and tape, I'm guessing. Although there is an attraction in simplicty. :)
"'Revere me as hot! All others are not! THIS, I COMMAND!'"
- Death

#10 Dan Cromer

Dan Cromer

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 08:30 PM

I never really liked the whole duct tape movement, so I can quite appreciate this turn of heart.

You didn't just say that, did you? If you're worried about duct tape looking bad, there's always colored duct tape...

VACC, I myself use .5" copper barrels for my mods, and they fit my .5" stefans perfectly. I didn't catch whether you were using micros or micro stefans, but I've personally come to love homemade micros. They fly far, fast, and hurt like hell.

#11 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 10:54 PM

I've used micro stefans and have a brass barrel that works well with them, I'll just have to get two more. I will be going micro on this gun because, quite frankly, I already have a mega-dart crossbow. There will be no air diversion system, I'd lose too much pressure. I'll have two plungers and two air chambers. I have plenty of spare c-bow parts around, so that won't be a problem. The barrels will fire simultaiously, and while some may not see the point of a simultanious over-under within west coast style, I think I will be able to derive adequate advantage out of it, that's my real talent. As far as the rail interface goes, I'm just going to get some adhesive trim and create tracks along the side of my gun. The hardest part is going to be creating a locking mechanism for the interface, but I guess these are the things that make modding fun.

VACC

#12 Jollygreen

Jollygreen

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 January 2003 - 02:06 PM

Try using a simple nock-lock system. Carve a nock into the one side of the rail. One the other side take the nock that you carved out and glue it down. That there should work as long you glue it well.
"...You know you have made it in life when you have an automatic starter to your car..." - The Man The Myth The Legend, Hersh

The Home of the LCM

#13 Frenzied fury

Frenzied fury

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 January 2003 - 02:26 PM

Should I go with megas or micros? The LCM sticks mostly to megas, so I don't want to be the only idiot running around in circles  using micros, only to have megas fired back. Any ideas?

What!? I thought all people use micro darts, 3/8" is what most of my s shoot. Or is that large and I'm just out of it like everything else today?
Er... well, y'know. You can't make an omelette without um... destroying a forest. Or something.- Black Mage
8-Bit Theater
Gravity Nerf

#14 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 04 January 2003 - 03:11 PM

Try using a simple nock-lock system. Carve a nock into the one side of the rail. One the other side take the nock that you carved out and glue it down. That there should work as long you glue it well.

Well yeah, that was the idea, the question was what material to use and how to secure it neatly. Glue was pretty much out from the begining. Regardless, I've gone with a magnetic rail system that is simply more practical in every way.

VACC

#15 Howard

Howard

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 01:44 AM

so you're using magnets now?

#16 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 02:06 AM

so you're using magnets now?

Yes Howard, that's what magnetic means.

VACC

#17 INsecurity

INsecurity

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 05:43 PM

Ok Groove if you want the whole swat style feel to your crossbow, make it a micro shooting one, then get a pice of pvc for megas 1 foot long, another half a foot long, a solenoid, a pressure switch and and end cap and valve then make the homemade just one long bar with the solenoid pressure swith on the front grip toy you just have the push on the front grip hard to shoot it. This way its like haveng a non explosive m203 on your gun. But this is just what i would do.

#18 Spoon

Spoon

Meh.

• Founders
  • 560 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 02:28 AM

Vacc, have you considered how you're going to load both brass barrels? If it's a muzzle loader you'll need a foot long ramrod and god help you trying to do that in the heat of battle with two barrels. If it's a breech loader, you'll have to make sure that with the breach closed the barrel is totally re-sealed, without a hunk of the brass missing. IMO, the best method for your over-under Cbow idea (which I like very much), would be to have the gun "break" in half, just like a over-under shotgun, and load the darts from the base of the barrel. This would however exclude a telescoping brass barrel, but thats ok. Maximum range probably isn't your primary goal with this. You'd have to fashion a barrel coupling which would couple the tubes from the pressure chambers to the barrels, kind of like I did with Wolverine, only you'd have each pressure chamber going to it's own barrel, not combined into one like I had. Something that re-seals itself when the gun is locked. You're a smart guy, you can figure it out.....
Two roads converged in the woods, and I took the one less traveled......and now I don't know where the hell I am.

#19 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 02:43 PM

The problem I'm facing right now actually is a better supply of fbr. The type I recieved is too wide for the usual brass, and too thin for the step up. However, as for the muzzle loading, a good telescoping barrel should allow me to cick the gun, and let the darts slide right down the barrel. Blowing on the end (I know not the most savory notion) fastens them securely into the smaller segment at the end. However, if this doesn't work, your suggestion may come in very handy.

VACC

#20 Zero Talent

Zero Talent

• Contributors
  • 606 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 11:24 PM

The problem I'm facing right now actually is a better supply of fbr. The type I recieved is too wide for the usual brass, and too thin for the step up.

VACC

Not sure if this will help you, but you can decrease the elasticity of the dart by drilling out a hole through the center with a Wendy's, or similar diameter straw. Sounds simple, even stupid, but it allows for easier dart compression, which could be what you're looking for. Not exactly like your normal darts, but it could certainly help the situation.
"'Revere me as hot! All others are not! THIS, I COMMAND!'"
- Death

#21 Spoon

Spoon

Meh.

• Founders
  • 560 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 03:22 AM

I doubt blowing the darts down is going to work. You have to really jam the dart into the narrow section, blowing just won't be hard enough. Like I said, you'll figure it out.
Two roads converged in the woods, and I took the one less traveled......and now I don't know where the hell I am.

#22 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 11:50 AM

No, blowing works pretty well with Kev's fbr. That's even what he recomended.

VACC

#23 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 02:14 PM

I give oral sex to my guns, specifically Sven. Yep, that's the first thing you guys noticed at Reckoning. Unfortunately, my 1/2 FBR from WebbZter is too small, so it sucked.
"The occasional hell or damn is ok,
but we do sh*t and F---"

~Webbster, Foam Improvement.

"I got four points... I sackled you"

#24 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 07:20 PM

VACC, are you using K&S brand brass? With 1/32" increments, I can usually get damn close to the size I'm looking for. The other brand (Steelworks or something like that) is thicker walled and only available in 1/16" increments.

#25 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 11:07 PM

Yeah, it's K & S, this fbr simply doesn't want to make a good fit.

VACC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users