13 replies to this topic

#1 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:51 PM

http://www.popularme...de/4311795.html

There it is. Read it. Do not post unless you have something relevant to say. I hate these threads and don't think I won't shut my own thread down faster then you can say 9999 day special.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#2 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:43 PM

Cool, do you know the person who wrote it?

Edited by Captain, 03 April 2009 - 08:44 PM.

I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#3 Mukersman

Mukersman

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:53 PM

Can a stock PC really shoot a dart that far? Or a LnL for that matter?

EDIT: They probably meant angled, but still.

Edited by Mukersman, 03 April 2009 - 08:55 PM.

#4 balisticjoe

balisticjoe

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:53 PM

Do not post unless you have something relevant to say.
Talio.

Cool, do you know the person who wrote it?

Nice find Talio it was an interesting article. But I do have to say even popular mechanics lies about there ranges.
There Are No Stupid Questions, But There Are A Lot Of Inquisitive Idiots.

#5 jerm78

jerm78

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:56 PM

I know there have been tons of Nerf guns released over the years and picking just ten was probably very hard especially if they have followed Nerf over the years. They picked what they considered to be the coolest guns and for the most part i agree. I think I would have put the Nite Finder on the list but then again its not all that cool but more practical. I think they did a good job. Just my $.02

#6 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:02 PM

Nice find Talio it was an interesting article. But I do have to say even popular mechanics lies about there ranges.

Actually, I'm about 95% certain that they ripped all of their data off of NerfCenter.com's reviews. Popular Mechanic's ranges match NerfCenter's "Max. Distance," which (if I remember correctly) was the range when fired at a 45 degree angle.

The Ballzooka and SM3k rates of fire match up as well. The PC's rate of fire is measured differently and is a bit off...1 shot every 0.12 seconds is about 8.33 (repeating, of course) darts per second, as opposed to Popular Mechanic's 9 per second.

I actually commented on the article (at the linked site) but my comment is currently "awaiting approval":

The range data for the BnA, XBow, SM3k, LnL, and PC as well as the rate of fire of the Ballzooka and SM3k all appear to be quite similar to the info found in the reviews for said blasters on Nerfcenter.com

Coincidence? Hmm...

And: The AT2k and 3k should have been on this list. Terrible stock, but great after proper modification.

PS: The range taken from NerfCenter was the meaximum range. That is to say, the range when fired 45 degrees from horizontal.

Also, the Unity Power System only uses two types of ammo: The Titan missile and micro darts.

Although it is cool to see my hobby (nerfing) on Popular Mechanic's website, it would be nice to see accurate and cited information.

Wonder if that will be approved...

Edited by jwasko, 03 April 2009 - 09:05 PM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#7 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:55 PM

It really wasn't a find. It was on Digg.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#8 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:59 PM

SUPERMAXX 3000

When speedy shooting is paramount, this blaster's automatic rotating chamber fires eight darts 50 feet at a rate of about 0.81 seconds per shot. Nerf nerds hail it as one of the most accurate and powerful foam-shooting pistols ever.

Did they really just call the SM3K a pistol? :blink:

Most of the article sounds like it was pulled out of someone's ass.

And where's the Longshot? I'd say the invention of working clips is pretty important.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#9 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:05 AM

Definitely can using red darts. Red darts are godlike. It's a shame you newer members will never know the power.

#10 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:45 AM

And where's the Longshot? I'd say the invention of working clips is pretty important.

Ever heard of the Sawtooth or the Electric Eel? I'd say they definitely utilized working clips long before the Longshot.

#11 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:28 AM

Interesting, although probably justifiable, choices for their top ten list. I would agree that the Longshot should be on there, as it was the first blaster to have a box magazine that did not first require one to load shells. I would also have liked to see one of the Sharpshooters make the list.

Also, wasn't the blast-a-ball the first nerf blaster? Maybe I have my history wrong.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#12 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:34 AM

Ever heard of the Sawtooth or the Electric Eel? I'd say they definitely utilized working clips long before the Longshot.

That's like comparing apples to oranges. None of them had clip like the long shot. Even I though it should be on that list.

#13 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:34 AM

As much as I hate Longshots, their impact on the Nerf world was pretty substantial and I'm surprised that it didn't make it on the list. The fact that they called a 3K a pistol seems somewhat arbitrary. At any rate, cool article.

-Groove

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#14 bigred1rifleman

bigred1rifleman

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:33 PM

LnL will easily shoot that far stock, at an angle.

~F!nnster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users