Nerf Infection/zombies Variant

short, sweet & indoors

10 replies to this topic

#1 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:35 AM

Just thought I'd do a quick writeup of a game type we just added to our lineup at the church. It is based off of the standard Humans vs. Zombies games played at many college campuses, with our own little twists added to make the game much shorter, faster paced and suitable for our indoor wars, which we usually play in the dark. I know others have mentioned similar games they've played, but I thought giving a full rundown of the game and the way we play it might help inspire others to try this gametype at their own wars. You won't regret it!

- Choose one or more starting Zombies. (We found that starting off with 2-3 Zombies out of 12 total players was better, as it allowed the game to progress quicker.) Each Zombie begins the game with a glowstick, which they must always hold openly to declare their Zombie status - no hiding the glowstick! They do not use Nerf blasters.

- The remaining players are given a short time to scatter throughout the building, during which the Zombies remain in an out-of-the-way starting location so as not to observe their movements. (A number of additional glowsticks are also placed here.) At the end of that time, the Zombies are unleashed and the game truly begins.

- If a Human shoots a Zombie, the Zombie must return to their starting location and count to a predetermined number (5, 10, 15, etc. depending on the pace you want for your game), before returning to play. Zombies may use each other as "meat shields", but as soon as a Zombie is shot, they must immediately clear the area in the quickest (and safest) way possible and make their way to the starting area.

- If a Zombie touches a Human with their glowstick, the Human is infected, becoming a Zombie, and must proceed to the Zombie starting area. Once there, the player must put down their Nerf blaster(s) and pick up a glowstick, then count to the predetermined number (as above) before returning to play.

- The last Human standing is declared the winner. (Feel free to play out the last stand though, it can be quite entertaining.) We usually let the winner be the first starting Zombie in the next game, letting them choose their fellow starting Zombie(s) as appropriate.

We played several rounds of this at our last war, and it was definitely a hit. The glowsticks give the Humans an advantage of being able to see the Zombies coming, but they make it much more difficult for the Humans to actually stay hidden in the shadows (a tactic some of our players like to use in "last man standing" style games), forcing more action. The games usually start a bit slow as the Zombies try to find the smallest, least prepared group of Humans to start snacking on. Later, as the size of the Zombie horde increases, the action heats up and the Humans grow increasingly desperate.

During one round, I was cut off from my fellow Humans as they retreated down a hallway while I was reloading. I had gotten two darts into my Maverick, and one in my AT2K (which was pumped) before I had to start shooting - and backing myself into a corner. I tagged one with the AT2K, and another with the Mav, before it jammed - leaving me as a tasty snack for the remaining Zombie. (I got my revenge on my cowardly compatriots later of course!)

I can't remember having more fun in a game for quite some time. This is definitely a game that will become a regular part of our lineup from here on out!
Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#2 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:47 AM

I have played a game close to this but it was actually a variation of tag. I think that the addition of blasters would make the game allot more intense and fun. I will definitely try this! Thanks for sharing.
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#3 BoneRiot

BoneRiot

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:19 PM

Definitely a play style i would love to try, but it seems like it really relies on having a building to play in having corners and hallways to run though. I've been trying to work on a variation that would be more pheasable in an outdoor/playground enviroment where the players can see the zombies coming.
They call me Afro Thunder
QUOTE(CaptainSlug)

Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended for 9,999 days.

#4 Disturbed

Disturbed

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:19 PM

I started to like zombie related things after I read a book about zombie survivors.

This game sounds like alot of fun, and I will definetly suggest this in the upcoming SOF Seattle war. The use of glowsticks must make it very fast pace.
If you nerf in Washington, I am a host of SANO, Seattle Area Nerf Out. PM me, would love to add you to the Washington nerf crew.

#5 Valdur

Valdur

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:26 PM

My friends and I do something almost like this but with a few key differences.

1. The zombies are the ones who hide
2. Head shots make zombies respawn
3. If a zombie is shot anywhere but the head they pause for 2 seconds

I love this game type over all others we've currently tried.

#6 umpshaplapa

umpshaplapa

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:59 PM

My friends and I do something almost like this but with a few key differences.

1. The zombies are the ones who hide
2. Head shots make zombies respawn
3. If a zombie is shot anywhere but the head they pause for 2 seconds

I love this game type over all others we've currently tried.

I disagree with the head shot rule. You shouldn't HAVE to aim for the head. That's just painful.
QUOTE(Talio @ Jun 29 2009, 01:50 PM) View Post

i got a black belt in noob banning in 2004.

#7 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:25 PM

Not to mention a liability if you happen to be in my situation. (I'm an adult leader for the youth group that attends these events. If a kid gets hurt, it is on me and my fellow leaders.) The additional fact of our standard rules (such as no running - only fast walking, i.e. one foot always on the floor) makes this game very interesting.
Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#8 Valdur

Valdur

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:30 PM

We use only stock darts and have never had a problem with injuries. I, personally have been shot in the eye from not far away with no negative effects but a slight pain. Then again I see where you're coming from and completely understand.

#9 BoneRiot

BoneRiot

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:17 PM

We use only stock darts and have never had a problem with injuries. I, personally have been shot in the eye from not far away with no negative effects but a slight pain. Then again I see where you're coming from and completely understand.

It's very important to mention the stock dart thing. I love a fully modded gun rocking Stefan's that'll fly one hundred feet as much as the next person, but i like having stock dart designed guns. I feel having the safety level of stock darts and the power attached to that helps open up possibilities for game play alot.

All of my games are with casual nerfers using stocks, so we encourage headshots, making them worth two points of damage wheras a torso or extremity shot is only worth one.
(If you don't know what i mean by points, see my post above.)
They call me Afro Thunder
QUOTE(CaptainSlug)

Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended for 9,999 days.

#10 Herpestidae

Herpestidae

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:37 PM

At Truman to get geared up for our HvZ games we usually play some CTF then a game we call HvZ abridged. It is very similar to your game only it is outdoors usually in a small designated area (the sidewalks around our quad divides up the area quite nicely). Also we only use socks and once a zombie is stunned they have to run back and touch something (usually a lamppost since they are everywhere) then they can return to play.

If you have a lot of socks then the game is really fun just be sure to get a large enough area to run from the zombies. As Ambience said the game usually lasts 10-15 minutes and really gets the adrenaline flowing.

Edited by Herpestidae, 31 March 2009 - 07:58 PM.

Grimlock no bozo! Grimlock king!

#11 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:34 PM

Hmm, I will have to try this with our group, we had a 12 person game going last friday all night with our variant....

http://fairview.dead...eadfrontier.com

Great game, zombie apocalypse MMORPG. I'm acer34p3r on there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users