1/2" Copper Vs. 9/16" Brass

would 1/2" work the same as 9/16"?

14 replies to this topic

#1 Alkorion

Alkorion

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:18 AM

I was looking for some paint in my basement a couple days ago when I found about a 2 foot section of brass pipe under a plastic container full of different paints. Now I've noticed almost everywhere here, whenever brass is mentioned, the only size ever referred to is 9/16". However, the segment i found looks very old and about the only thing i can read from the faded red letters is, "...PE M 1/2 MADE IN USA", so i'm assuming that it is 1/2" brass. I stuck some stefans and streamers down it and found that they were pretty loose within the barrel, though the streamers were a bit more snug than the stefans. This however surprised me since i would assume 9/16" barrels would be larger than a 1/2" barrel (8/16 < 9/16) and thus, the 1/2" barrel should a tighter fit than 9/16". So my question is this: Is there a considerable difference between 1/2" and 9/16" that makes the latter better? I know that all that should matter is how it fits your stefans ad since it is still considerably loose, should I go even smaller than 1/2" inch? (this would be for my LS, since I'm sure that a snugger barrel would be better than a looser one) Any answers, comments, corrections, or points of view would be helpful.

EDIT: It is copper pipe (thanks BustaNinja), which explains the size difference between it and brass.

Edited by Alkorion, 31 March 2009 - 11:37 AM.

/ /~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\ \
|"Say hello, to my little Brute!"|
\ \~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~/ /

#2 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:20 AM

You found half inch COPPER pipe. Only contractors would be able to get 2 feet of brass, and you cannot, no matter how hard you try, get a streamline dart into half inch brass. Its in some cases, tighter then CPVC, where as half in copper is really really loose on everything, but has the same OD as CPVC
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#3 Alkorion

Alkorion

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:34 AM

You found half inch COPPER pipe. Only contractors would be able to get 2 feet of brass, and you cannot, no matter how hard you try, get a streamline dart into half inch brass. Its in some cases, tighter then CPVC, where as half inch copper is really really loose on everything, but has the same OD as CPVC

Thanks BustaNinja, that makes a lot of sense since it has a copper-ish color to it. And it is probably a leftover from house construction, since i found it right next to the plumbing center of our house in the basement room where all the copper pipes flow up and down the walls. I'm guessing you would not recommend using it for anything? Since you mentioned that the OD is the same is CPVC, which is thicker, right?

Edited by Alkorion, 31 March 2009 - 11:36 AM.

#4 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:53 AM

First, like bustaninja said, it is probably copper. Also, if it is in fact copper, you will find that the brass will fit perfectly inside of it, this makes for a very good breech system. Just some info in case you want to try to use it for something (I could be wrong though.)
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#5 Alkorion

Alkorion

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:01 PM

First, like bustaninja said, it is probably copper. Also, if it is in fact copper, you will find that the brass will fit perfectly inside of it, this makes for a very good breech system. Just some info in case you want to try to use it for something (I could be wrong though.)

Actually, that's great since I was trying to see if I could somehow implement it into my longshot without buying too much brass (i'm super cheap) Thanks for the great idea Point blank! :D

#6 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:07 PM

You found half inch COPPER pipe. Only contractors would be able to get 2 feet of brass, and you cannot, no matter how hard you try, get a streamline dart into half inch brass. Its in some cases, tighter then CPVC, where as half inch copper is really really loose on everything, but has the same OD as CPVC

Thanks BustaNinja, that makes a lot of sense since it has a copper-ish color to it. And it is probably a leftover from house construction, since i found it right next to the plumbing center of our house in the basement room where all the copper pipes flow up and down the walls. I'm guessing you would not recommend using it for anything? Since you mentioned that the OD is the same is CPVC, which is thicker, right?

Actually it works pretty well for making RSCB (I think thats right) clips, using a half inch CPVC elbow and tee, you can use that as the clip and then CPVC as the barrel. It works ok, and I think since there is less dead space it gets slightly better ranges but I am not sure about how well it feeds.

#7 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:19 PM

I can get a streamline into 1/2" Brass a stefan too they're really tight too. But 1/2 copper is like 19/32 brass. Unless you get it from home depot in which case I've gotten some good cop[per in the past but it isn't the same any more.
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#8 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:27 PM

I can get a streamline into 1/2" Brass a stefan too they're really tight too. But 1/2 copper is like 19/32 brass. Unless you get it from home depot in which case I've gotten some good cop[per in the past but it isn't the same any more.

Huh? what did that sentence mean?

I can get steamlines into half inch brass, but it takes some pushing.

#9 atomatron

atomatron

• Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:35 PM

Only contractors would be able to get 2 feet of brass,

Maybe specifically for 2' sections but I know of a place that sells brass and aluminum in 1' and 3' sections
Perche Germolgi. [Because it shoots]

Rainbow Clan

#10 Alkorion

Alkorion

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:51 PM

Maybe specifically for 2' sections but I know of a place that sells brass and aluminum in 1' and 3' sections

Where would that be? Since you live in Minnesota too, maybe I could check that place out

#11 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts
  • State:Washington
  • u/LukeKoboJobo on Reddit

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:06 PM

My local Ace sells brass in 3' and 1' segments.

#12 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • NerfHaven Subscription Supporter
  • State:Oregon
  • u/Parabolictoys on Reddit

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:08 PM

1/2" Copper and CPVC have an OD of 5/8". Most 1/2" copper has an ID of around 9/16", though that varies a bit depending upon what type it is. Since the OD is fixed to work in the fittings, stronger types of pipe have a thicker wall, and slightly narrower ID. I can generally fit PETG in to 1/2" copper to build breaches and such. Fits very well.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#13 BobRedshirt

BobRedshirt

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:25 PM

Where would that be? Since you live in Minnesota too, maybe I could check that place out

Most Ace Hardwares in the twin cities sell 1' lengths, and Hub Hobby sells 1' and 3' lengths of most sizes of brass.

Edited by BobRedshirt, 31 March 2009 - 04:29 PM.

#14 Vinnie D

Vinnie D

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:39 AM

Copper has its uses. CPVC is usually best for most guns, but sometimes you need a loose barrel such as with the recon or longshot, where it doesn't seal tight enough to push a dart through CPVC. It really only helps with accuracy though, won't do anything for range. Not to mention it's easier to cut than brass. A pipe cutter will fly right through it, no need for a hacksaw.

#15 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:44 AM

Actually it works pretty well for making RSCB (I think thats right) clips, using a half inch CPVC elbow and tee, you can use that as the clip and then CPVC as the barrel. It works ok, and I think since there is less dead space it gets slightly better ranges but I am not sure about how well it feeds.

This 1/2" copper works perfectly for the clip, be sure to sand out the "entrance" to the clip for the darts will catch on the "fuzz" left over come cutting it.
QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users