Photo

Recon Bolt/slide Not Locking?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Wilford Brimley

Wilford Brimley

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:53 PM

I just got done taking my recon apart and stretching the spring, but that's all I did to it. Not when I pull the slide back the bolt doesn't lock unless I pull it back really hard and fast, sometimes that isn't even enough. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks in advance to whoever can answer.
(PS: Sorry if this is in the wrong section, not sure if it should go in modifications or general)

#2 Vincent

Vincent

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:03 PM

You could open it back up and make sure the catch spring is in there. If you forgot to put it in, or it popped out when you were reassembling it, that would cause this.
QUOTE(Carbon @ Jul 14 2009, 07:50 PM) View Post

Heresy. Nothing beats pink flamingos.

#3 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:04 PM

I just got done taking my recon apart and stretching the spring, but that's all I did to it. Not when I pull the slide back the bolt doesn't lock unless I pull it back really hard and fast, sometimes that isn't even enough. Is there a way to fix this?

(PS: Sorry if this is in the wrong section, not sure if it should go in modifications or general)

Sounds like the spring might have been stretched too far, making it too long and not able to prime far enough to reach the catch. Make sure the trigger catch is in properly also. Its really never a good idea to "stretch" a spring, as it weakens the spring.
IRC chat: louiec3-- he offered $500 for someone to build a bomb he could send to his ex wife
Rknight-- wow......N9---your dad is in trouble now!

#4 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:18 PM

Sounds like the spring might have been stretched too far, making it too long and not able to prime far enough to reach the catch. Make sure the trigger catch is in properly also. Its really never a good idea to "stretch" a spring, as it weakens the spring.

I never knew when you stretch a spring more material gets added on...
"Sorry rokor...my cousin is gay too...it's okay...we're tolerant"
Talio in Shoutbox.

#5 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:21 PM

I never knew when you stretch a spring more material gets added on...

Nothing is added, but the total length is greater than before. I am just giving my opinion, I never stated is was a certain fact.
IRC chat: louiec3-- he offered $500 for someone to build a bomb he could send to his ex wife

#6 Wilford Brimley

Wilford Brimley

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:23 PM

The catch is in correctly, I think I will try to compress the spring a bit more so it fits inside the gun without having to cram it back in.

#7 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:27 PM

The catch is in correctly, I think I will try to compress the spring a bit more so it fits inside the gun without having to cram it back in.

Yeah, it sounds like that may be your issue. The term "Stretching" implies changing the overall length, so at the very least it may be a good place to look first. I hope this helps, sorry if it does not. Good luck.

#8 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:03 PM

Rogue, that's not true. The spring can always be compressed to its initial compression length. It just becomes harder to do so.

#9 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:06 PM

Rogue, that's not true. The spring can always be compressed to its initial compression length. It just becomes harder to do so.

sorry, please allow me to clarify Tantum--I meant i changes it for a time, not permanantly. I agree with you that it can be compressed back--your right. I was just tring to say that its probably a good place to start looking for a problem.

#10 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:44 AM

If you plan on un-stretching your spring, I suggest not trying to twist it back to is original shape, it can get even more screwed up that way. (speaking from experience)
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#11 Vinnie D

Vinnie D

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:31 AM

Okay this is a problem you'll get with any recon mod that ups the power of the gun. You need to improve the catch spring. Adding a second spring is one way (I usually put a second spring that's just slightly wider around it). This will cause the catch to hold stronger allowing more potent springs. You'd pretty much need this for a powerstock.

Stretching the recon spring isn't a good mod in the long run since the spring eventually goes back to its original length and loses some of its strength. Do the spring compressing mod instead. Much more better for the gun and more reliable results.

#12 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:47 PM

Exceeding the elastic limit of a spring is always a bad idea. Do this instead.

#13 dominodomnerfcrazy19

dominodomnerfcrazy19

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 01:58 PM

If its the same thing mine did then check to make sure everything' s put back right and if the barrel has shattered ;)
92% of teens have moved on to rap.
If you are part of the 8% who still listen to "real music",
copy and paste this into your signature

If you can't beat em' join em', if you can't join em' bribe em', if you can't bribe em'..........BLACKMAIL EM'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users