Soothsayer

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:03 PM

I wonder why...
Posted Image
Posted Image

Pumps not there cause I was taking it out to put a new bike pump on the bottom

Write up soon, upon enough requests and me coming across another magstrike....

Edited by Soothsayer, 19 March 2009 - 09:15 PM.

yeah I'm that guy who made that cool thing with the cool paint.

#2 iMod1

iMod1

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:06 PM

Nice job! So it is pumped by a bike pump then? How many clips/pumps?
-iMod
A computer once beat me at chess, but after that it was no match for me at kick boxing.

#3 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:08 PM

Whoa, sweet rig you got there. However, isn't the soda bottle a little..flimsy? It seems like it would crack or dent quite easily.

-Mehku

#4 Soothsayer

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:12 PM

Nice job! So it is pumped by a bike pump then? How many clips/pumps?
-iMod

well over 200 pumps
as far as many clips you can shoot off? enough
Wait until the full write up/video and it'll all be legit instead of ghetto as fuck data

Mehku- I'm going to make a PVC/CPVC cage for the 2 liter later on, this is a VERY early prototype cause I had a magstrike with no bladder (used the bladder for a write up that's coming out in the next day or so), so I figured I'd give this a try and boy am I glad I did.

Edited by Soothsayer, 19 March 2009 - 09:12 PM.

#5 JATDO

JATDO

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:21 PM

Very cool :D
I've seen a ton of Magstrikes at Target. Its the "new" version, whats that supposed to mean?
I remember when some girl in my English 101 class in college tried to cite The Onion as a source for her paper. The teacher lol'd.
The only time I got hit was when my spotter got hit and the enemy team realized there was a marksman in the bushes

#6 nat

nat

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:26 PM

Thats pretty cool! Do you think this would work on a RF20?
If practice makes perfect and nobody is perfect, then why practice.

I pitty you foo! ~MR. T

#7 Kyrativ

Kyrativ

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:27 PM

Cant wait. Ive got a MS but its inconvenient to have to repump in mid war only to release all you ammo in 4 seconds. i will have to do this mod once you do right up. I love how the MS looks like a paintball marker (sans hopper and 8.5'+ barrel).
The only nerfer who could kick your ass with a dart tag gun but not with a xbow

NERFSTRONG #44

#8 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:28 PM

I can see why. Your using a soda bottle as the tank. That's what you would call dangerous and kinda stupid. Looks cool though. And damn, 200 pumps? you actually counted that high?
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#9 Soothsayer

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:44 PM

I can see why. Your using a soda bottle as the tank. That's what you would call dangerous and kinda stupid. Looks cool though. And damn, 200 pumps? you actually counted that high?

Yeah, I know my ABCs and everything too.

#10 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:55 PM

another bladder gun converted to hard tank!!!

I like...

after experimenting with bladders with no positive results whatsoever, I have to say you guys are right..... I know a 20oz bottle will hold 80psi, but I have not tested anything larger. I do not believe a 2liter bottle exploding will cause any serious physical harm unless you are concerned for your shorts.

Ive been experimenting with pumps. and have not found any decent pump yet so I would like to see what you find.

Im testing pumps by comparing them to a Bigsalvo pump which IMHO is the best of all the nerf related pumps. Any pump that costs more than a bigsalvo should perform better than a bigsalvo pump right?

What I suggest for you to test is one of those air pumps for the toy racecars or rockets. they are light, cheap and seem to offer good volume with enough pressure to fire a nerf gun.

Don...
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#11 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:22 PM

after experimenting with bladders with no positive results whatsoever, I have to say you guys are right..... I know a 20oz bottle will hold 80psi, but I have not tested anything larger. I do not believe a 2liter bottle exploding will cause any serious physical harm unless you are concerned for your shorts.

Never seen a dry ice bomb go off, eh? When the PET bottles explode there is generally shrapnel, and the edges are quite sharp. This is partially because the plastic is stretching thin as it expands, until it gives up and explodes. It does require a fair amount of pressure in most cases, but why take the chance? There are more dangerous ways of storing pressure, but this is pretty high on the list. Seriously guys, how hard it it to buy a one foot section of 2" or 3" PVC, and two end caps?
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#12 Soothsayer

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:28 PM

I feel you guys, this was basically just me see how easily one can make a new tank without using the original bladder cap with the 2 prongs for tubing.

I promise I will address the problem in the write up, now drop it already.

#13 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:03 PM

come on guys, I did not say anything about a 1600psi Hydrogen Chloride bomb......

We were all talking about the limits of pressurizing a plastic bottle with a bicycle pump...
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#14 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:33 PM

come on guys, I did not say anything about a 1600psi Hydrogen Chloride bomb......

We were all talking about the limits of pressurizing a plastic bottle with a bicycle pump...

Dude, Don... Have you SEEN some of the stupid shit the kids post?
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#15 Soothsayer

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:36 PM

Dude, Don... Have you SEEN some of the stupid shit the kids post?

chill man.

I'm gonna make a PVC chamber, everyone just drop it, alright?

#16 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:35 AM

This is really cool, and the concept may help me with an upcoming project. I can see why they won't let you play, this thing would dominate. I may have to wait for the writeup, but I was curious, any other mods done to the MS itself?

Also, I'm not going to tell you how stupid it is pumping up a 2 liter soda bottle full of air anywhere close to your body, I just want to recommend something other than a PVC shell. You may want to try even just wrapping it snuggly with e-tape all over. This should contain any explosive qualities, and will be much lighter than a bulky PVC shell.
QUOTE(TxNerfer @ Nov 13 2010, 12:42 PM) View Post

Hey...I got a crazy idea: how about you stop all that sigging stuff? It's not even my thread and it annoys me.

#17 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:59 AM

I'm gonna make a PVC chamber, everyone just drop it, alright?

That's fine, but the reason I'm glad they aren't "just drop"ping it is because the last thing I need is some kid slicing up his face with an overpreasurised coke bottle. Parents go after coke, coke goes after cx. Yeah, that'd be a fucking great time.

#18 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:46 AM

Very nice. I like it a lot. I like the fact that you used a house hold item for this modifaction. Also how do you hold the gun because the stock is gone, do you just use as a pistol?

Edited by Icespartan_1114, 20 March 2009 - 08:48 AM.

QUOTE(Zaxbys @ Mar 2 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
I won't be there til about 1-2...

Church... gotta soak up that Jesus!

NERFSTRONG #51

#19 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:26 AM

My 80 lb nephew with noodle arms can hold a Magstrike without using the bladder chamber as a stock. Is it really that hard?
Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#20 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:03 AM

Looks great! However, wouldn't the range decrease after every shot? Unlike the stock bladder, your replacement "bladder" maintains its volume as the overall air pressure decreases. With the stock bladder, the volume decreases to accommodate for the loss of air pressure which in turn maintains the air pressure in the bladder. I may be completely off on this, so if I am, just let me know. :lol:

Off topic: Has anyone ever attached a fitting to a 2 liter bottle, hooked it up to an air compressor, and watch it do it's thing? Note: I do not take responsibility for any ideas that pop into your mind. If you are trying this out, make sure to wear protection and to stand back. It can get ugly........and loud.

Edited by cheesypiza001, 20 March 2009 - 10:15 AM.

#21 Gazoo

Gazoo

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:06 AM

I do not believe a 2liter bottle exploding will cause any serious physical harm unless you are concerned for your shorts.

I've seen 'em shred a classic galvanized steel rural mailbox.

Yet, a couple of loose layers of denim, such as lengths from the legs of an old pair of jeans, would probably contain it.

You must have had some dry ice in there... I've made them before and they are fun, but dangerous.
You could always epoxy it, or wrap it in duct tape (yes that's how you really spell it, DUCK tape is a brand)
groove- Blatant asshattery will not be tolerated

#22 Muttonchops

Muttonchops

1.21 Muttonflops

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:06 AM

From what I have seen (and done) plastic bottles can safely handle 70 psi, and up to 80 for limited use. However, repeated filling to 80 PSI and anything approaching 90 will cause the bottle to blow. The shrapnel of it hurts and can travel, but its the blast wave of the pressure itself that is really dangerous.

A PVC tank has some of the same problems, namely the gun will break at the weakest location and then go to hell. You may be better off with a 20 ounce bottle, wrapped in fabric and duct tape, and held to 70 PSI at most. That way, should it fail (you fall and jar it, stress, out in the sun) the resulting BOOM will be less damaging and more contained. Using the bottle would force you to use a lower PSI and pump up the safety of it.

Finally, should your PVC blow, you have a pipe bomb in hand. That could very well kill you. Don't be an idiot in the name of 'power,' you are still trying to make something shoot foam at friends from close range. Im not trying to be a dick, I've hurt myself pretty bad by being stupid, and if people take a note, hey, its all good.
The LGLF - The ass-kickingest, arm-missingest, beer-drinkingest nerf clan in Jersey

21:45 Gears That's boob grabbing time
21:45 Gears it is so easy

#23 Fome

Fome

• Banned
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:24 AM

I think Deamonn has some very good ideas.

When I looked at the first picture, due to the glare it seemed to me that you stuffed the magstrike bladder into the bottle, essentially making a much larger area for the bladder to expand.

Although it's obvious you got the point about your soda bottle, homemade PVC air tanks can also be dangerous.

There seems to be a growing trend for hooking automatic nerf guns up to insane air sources. Not sure if I like it.

#24 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:08 PM

I do not believe a 2liter bottle exploding will cause any serious physical harm unless you are concerned for your shorts.

Yet, a couple of loose layers of denim, such as lengths from the legs of an old pair of jeans, would probably contain it.

You must have had some dry ice in there... I've made them before and they are fun, but dangerous.
You could always epoxy it, or wrap it in duct tape (yes that's how you really spell it, DUCK tape is a brand)

I always find that foil tapes are insufficent for holding anything together. If one were to wrap it in duck tape (Duck brand is fine, though you can also use 3M), the result would be better.

Remember, kids: Duct tape is based around aluminum foil! Duck tape is the cotton tape with rubber adhesive!
Duck's a brand named after the tape.
QUOTE(NerfUK @ May 8 2009, 11:54 AM) View Post

(I forgot to take a picture of my own poppers)

QUOTE(analogkid @ May 20 2009, 10:04 PM) View Post

Every size rod you could ever want.

#25 Gazoo

Gazoo

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:43 PM

I always find that foil tapes are insufficent for holding anything together. If one were to wrap it in duck tape (Duck brand is fine, though you can also use 3M), the result would be better.

Remember, kids: Duct tape is based around aluminum foil! Duck tape is the cotton tape with rubber adhesive!
Duck's a brand named after the tape.

Not that I want to get in an argument about tape, but the foil tape is called foil tape. I've worked HVAC (that's duct work and whatnot) and when we say duct tape, we are talking about the cloth tape. When we want the foil tape we say foil tape......
Reply if you must, but I'm not going to get in a flame war over tape. Just wanted to clarify myself...
groove- Blatant asshattery will not be tolerated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users