Frostbite

Frankenstein'd Magstrike

43 replies to this topic

#1 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:57 PM

When I was reading through feedback left on the writeup I did about The Howler, I noted a couple of people (Including Pineapple) who said they were waiting for a "Walrus Gun". After that, I spent my time wondering what would be a worthy mod to bear the visage of the mighty walrus.

So yes, this is "The Walrus Gun". Even though there is no actual walrus on the blaster. (I might paint one on there once I figure out where to put it without making the surface of the blaster look cluttered with too many graphics.)

DO NOT ASK ME ABOUT RANGES.
It's late, I'm tired, I have exams and projects and assignments to finish. The last thing I need to worry about is going outside, firing a nerf gun, and measuring how far it shoots.

Before we start, though, I'd like to introduce you all to Hector, Widget's big brother. (Widget is on Spring Break this week. Hey, even walruses need some time to unwind.) Widget mods, Hector gives people bone bruises.

Posted Image

So without further blabbering, here it is:

Posted Image

So basically what I did was I took half of a Hornet and an AirTech 3000 tank and shoved them both into a Magstrike shell with bladder, pump, and trigger release valve. It uses a SpiderMan Dart Tag Blaster trigger to fire the Hornet tanks and a keyring to fire the AT3K tank. I'm not a big fan of tubing that runs outside of the blaster, but the one length of tubing behind the handle was pretty much unavoidable since I had to refit the Magstrike release valve.

Internals:

Posted Image

Hector can explain it better.

Posted Image

A writeup will follow shortly.

Edited by dizzyduck, 24 March 2009 - 11:22 PM.

Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#2 Merzlin

Merzlin

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:59 PM

Wow, incredible. Really nice job, and love the paintjob, I seriously can't wait for the write-up.

#3 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:06 PM

Wait, so the smdtb trigger fires the hornet tanks and the keyring fires the AT3K, so whats the MS trigger fire? all of them? I don't understand the drawing completely.
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#4 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:07 PM

If you recall my busted Magstrike from The Dragon writeup thread:

Posted Image

That's what I started with; a Magstrike with a leaky piston and a leaky release valve fitting. I ended up refitting the release valve with 1/8" brass connectors, and re-tubing everything from the pump to the release valve. It wasn't really necessary, but I didn't trust the stock fixtures after the Magstrike spring two leaks a couple of weeks after I bought it.

From there,

Posted Image

The hardest part of the whole process was actually separating the Hornet tanks. I had to keep myself from strangling someone through the whole ordeal, but somehow I managed to get them out of the mess of plastic and glue.

I fit the Hornet tanks and the AT3K tank with CPVC couplers.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Then I had a lot of body work to do to get everything to fit without having to run tubing outside of the shell.

Posted Image
Posted Image

If you remember from the diagram, twp check valves are necessary to keep air going in the direction that you want it. The Magstrike pump already has a check valve at the end of it, so I needed one more. Since I didn't have any check valves on hand (and I'm broke), I had to butcher the rest of my Hornet internals for one.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

It has a Tee attached to the end of the valve, so it's two for the price of one.

Once I had everything in place, I used 1/4" OD vinyl tubing to hook everything up, but I still needed a trigger for the AT3K tank.

Posted Image

I'm over the picture limit, so I'll finish this up in another reply.

Edited by dizzyduck, 24 March 2009 - 11:08 PM.

Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#5 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:10 PM

The Hornet tanks are mounted on a Plexiglas frame, so I can remove the whole lot of them all at once. It makes things much easier that way.

Posted Image

No Paint Job progress shots, but I do have detail shots.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Both the Hornet tanks and the AT3K tank fire from the back end.

Posted Image

Questions? Comments? Flames?

Edited by dizzyduck, 24 March 2009 - 11:14 PM.

Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#6 Crankymonky

Crankymonky

It's The Dean!

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:33 PM

Ranges?

But definitely digging the paint job and our furry friend too!

Edited by Crankymonky, 24 March 2009 - 11:36 PM.

Tyranny Response Team

#7 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:38 PM

Wait, so the smdtb trigger fires the hornet tanks and the keyring fires the AT3K, so whats the MS trigger fire? all of them? I don't understand the drawing completely.

The MS trigger controls when air is released from the bladder into the tanks. I can get off multiple shots without pumping that way.

It's what I tried to do with The Dragon, except I didn't add a release valve so it didn't work as I had planned.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#8 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:44 PM

The MS trigger controls when air is released from the bladder into the tanks. I can get off multiple shots without pumping that way.

It's what I tried to do with The Dragon, except I didn't add a release valve so it didn't work as I had planned.

Cooooooooool.... I always wanted to use a bladder like that in like an AT2K, but I couldn't part with one of my still working bladder guns.
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#9 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:44 AM

Ranges?

joke?

I like Hector.
And that gun.

Edited by sputnik, 25 March 2009 - 12:45 AM.

tcambre on IRC.

<3

#10 xbox180

xbox180

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:38 AM

That is the best paint-job that I have seen in a long time!
"Congrats on Buy a Peice of Plastic thats most likely older than you, for half- a grand, your awesome man." Nerf Monkey

My Webpage
MY Youtube

#11 1337

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:46 AM

That is the best paint-job that I have seen in a long time!

I second that. Why did you run the triggers out the back? Just cause there was nowhere else to go?
Join the REVOLUTION!

#12 Glint

Glint

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:29 AM

Ranges? :P

But all joking aside, that is one awesome paintjob. And I just hafta say, your Mod writeups are by far the funnest to read out of anything. The sketches and the non-computer-text explanations make it fairly easy to understand for those who don't really get all the air connections and how it works and stuff just yet.

Really great work. Freaking awesome paintjob too (I think I already said that... whatever, it is!)!

Edited by Glint, 25 March 2009 - 07:29 AM.

This has spiraled beyond uselessness into utterly stupidy.
- VACC
Read it again until you figure it out.

#13 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:32 AM

frigg, I was going to something similar, really. But it looks really good! it's pimping
QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#14 SaucyGanzalez

SaucyGanzalez

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:44 AM

That's just Plain awesome, Hector RULES!
"Fuck it, ill use a hacksaw" ~ SaucyGanzalez

"Makin darts, eaten'....What ever this is" ~ UberKuhlMan

#15 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:09 AM

Wow. That is very heavily modified. You should make a video of it firing on youtube or something. I am curious to see how it all works.
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#16 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:21 AM

Now that's something I would have fun making. I see that SMDTG valve went to good use.
"Sorry rokor...my cousin is gay too...it's okay...we're tolerant"
Talio in Shoutbox.

#17 ninja mods

ninja mods

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:47 AM

ok just one question. why would you do this when the hornet has 6 barrels and you are only going to be using 3? it seems like you could do a barrel replacement then you should do it to a plugged hornet. oh well, all in all nice guide and i know you have heard it before but sweet guide.

#18 iMod1

iMod1

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:55 AM

Wow man incredible job! Do you have like a pressure gauge or something to measure how long it takes to fill up the Hornet tanks? Or is it just a more time = more distance type thing? Anyways, nice job with the PJ too!
-iMod
A computer once beat me at chess, but after that it was no match for me at kick boxing.

#19 Nerf Bros

Nerf Bros

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:10 AM

Great job. I love how you do write ups. If we all could do write ups like you the NIC would be a much happier place.
Keep it up, dude.
Oh, and thanks for a good use for that busted up hornet I have...
We have no sig.

#20 Renegademilitia15

Renegademilitia15

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:41 AM

ok just one question. why would you do this when the hornet has 6 barrels and you are only going to be using 3? it seems like you could do a barrel replacement then you should do it to a plugged hornet. oh well, all in all nice guide and i know you have heard it before but sweet guide.

Umm, because he hooked up the hornet tanks and an at3k blast chamber to a much bigger airsource (Hence the Magstrike Bladder ) making it get much higher ranges than a regular hornet. And plus a hornet's stock air system usually=crap.

Nice job dude, you're on a roll.

P.S. I love your walruses. :)

Edited by Renegademilitia15, 25 March 2009 - 11:42 AM.

Singled RFS
FA_24's response to Ice's back pain thread:

I used to have that problem until I got circumcised. 15 pounds later I was able to stand up straight.

#21 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:03 PM

ok just one question. why would you do this when the hornet has 6 barrels and you are only going to be using 3? it seems like you could do a barrel replacement then you should do it to a plugged hornet.

My Hornet internals leak like The Titanic.

Do you have like a pressure gauge or something to measure how long it takes to fill up the Hornet tanks? Or is it just a more time = more distance type thing?

The SMDTG trigger has an overpressure release valve built into it, so no matter how much air I let in from the MS bladder, it will level out. I haven't tested ranges yet (and I don't plan to do so until at least this weekend), so as for how much range I get out of them, I'm not sure.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#22 Codename Pending

Codename Pending

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:40 PM

Great mod! I can't wait to see how the ranges pan out for you. Otherwise, awesome job!
I really like the paint job and the way the name painted on the gun looks, it really pops on the black!
Again, kudos to your work. :)
I was the last person alive on my team during my second round at APOC when I hear a young guy on the other team say, "So who's going to tap that?"

#23 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:08 PM

So wait, neither of the triggers are hooked up to the original trigger?

I'm digging the PJ as well.

#24 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:12 PM

So wait, neither of the triggers are hooked up to the original trigger?

Correct. The original Magstrike trigger only controls the release valve.

Edited by dizzyduck, 25 March 2009 - 05:13 PM.

Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#25 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:23 PM

Glad to see you got that 3k tank working!

This gun is awesome and I like how the pump, tanks, and triggers are configured, and you used plexiglass to mount the tanks...come on? Who doesn't agree that modifications and homemades using custom cut plastics are bad ass?
Mad props.
Southeast Nerf Contingent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users