Mad Hornet

14 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:31 PM

Inspiration for the name goes to Twitch, whose "Captain Bojangles McPoonsnatch" convinced me to pick something more absurd.

So the night before March Meltdown VACC gave me a Mad Hornet to do my worst with and it didn't take long for me to develop a plan since I had the whole car ride back to think about it.

Main problems with the stock blaster
- Low tank volume
- Tiny pump
- Annoying pump handle
- Extremely leaky barrels
- Metered output

Solution: barrel replacement and tank expansion.

Posted Image
I had to move the barrels closer the the pump housing in order to get them to clear the lip inside the shell that retains the turret.
To do this I faced the turret base using a lathe, then made polycarbonate brackets.
Posted Image
I used 3 inch barrels because the output of the trigger valve system isn't that great.
Posted Image
And done. All I have to do is hook it up to a regulated supply of air from a backpack tank or compressor and it will fire a dart each time the trigger is cycled.
Posted Image
Posted Image
While I couldn't solve the metered output issue because of the design of the valve, I am getting respectable ranges. The range however is highly dependent upon the pressure level supplied to the blaster. So if you fire at 20psi, you're likely to only get 20 feet or less. But jack the pressure up to 50 or even 70 psi and you're shooting 50 to 60 feet.
I need to do more range testing at work, but so far the semi-auto shooting is working great and is very consistent. I just have to make sure the trigger cycles all the way back and all the way forward or else the valve might get stuck open.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 23 March 2009 - 07:51 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#2 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:42 PM

I really like this! it is clean and very "slug" like. It just needs a smaller pump =]
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#3 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:43 PM

Cool, I love seeing old classics turned into something, even if it's just something silly.

If anything else, I mostly intend to shoot coworkers with it since my place of employment is rife with compressor lines I can hook it up to.
It does get an absurd number of shots out of a single tank fill though.

I really like this! it is clean and very "slug" like. It just needs a smaller pump =]

The pictured pump fills up a 148ci PVC tank I can hook up to Filliam and wear as a backpack. One fill of the tank should provide over a hundred shots.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 23 March 2009 - 07:49 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#4 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:54 PM

Not sure what exactly is silly about a semi-auto sidearm getting 50-60 feet. Slap a small HPA tank on your back, make an oversized holster and you have the ultimate nerf insurance policy. Something doesn't need to shoot 100 ft to be useful.

#5 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:02 PM

Wow. I love what you did to it. You inspire me to be an engineer. Great job!

EDIT: You are an engineer right?

Edited by nerfboi, 23 March 2009 - 08:03 PM.

We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#6 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:06 PM

You are an engineer right?

Not really no. I have a degree in Communication, which I almost never use.
Engineers sit at desks and theorize how things should be done.
Machinists have to turn the unrealistic expectation of Engineers and make them a reality.
I'm somewhere in the middle right now, acting as an interpreter.

#7 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:13 PM

Finally, a mod worth doing on my Mad Hornet. And that is no insult to anyone who has done Mad Hornet mods, I've just been waiting for a contributor to take a swing at it. I was going to start myself and find a way to rig it up to an airtank, but didn't have the time, experience or materials necessary in order to do so. Now that this is up, I may put this thing to use, now that I know what to do with it. Very nice mod. This thing is still kind of funny looking though, and a tad awkward to use. It'd be tough, but maybe it'd be nice reshelled.

Actually, and this is completely based upon your pictures and my own memory, if you could find away to re-shell it, you may be able to make it a candidate for rear loading. In which case you'd have a beast on your hands. You'd have to make the shell pinch in before the turret, and both widen the turret inlets and increase the output size of the valve, but if you could manage to do it, that'd be a heck of a gun. And as Vacc said, range isn't everything.

Edited by diamondbacknf1626, 23 March 2009 - 08:15 PM.

QUOTE(TxNerfer @ Nov 13 2010, 12:42 PM) View Post

Hey...I got a crazy idea: how about you stop all that sigging stuff? It's not even my thread and it annoys me.

#8 The Nerf Devil

The Nerf Devil

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:28 PM

Very nice and clean. A semi auto smallish weapon that gets 60-70' is very nice and useful. Just wondering what barrels your using? They barrels look like PETG, but to me they seem a little thick.
It's funny looking through things you said years ago, you realize how much of an ass you came off as sometimes.

#9 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:32 PM

Don't quote me on this, because I am not positive, but isn't it the same kind of tubing that you used for Senor Wences?
QUOTE(TxNerfer @ Nov 13 2010, 12:42 PM) View Post

Hey...I got a crazy idea: how about you stop all that sigging stuff? It's not even my thread and it annoys me.

#10 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:36 PM

Isn't that kind of like a civil engineer? Well, I would like to be a machinist. Seems like it's my area.... I guess. But not to derail from this beautiful piece of weaponry, I love it. Again, great job.
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#11 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:44 PM

Very nice and clean. A semi auto smallish weapon that gets 60-70' is very nice and useful. Just wondering what barrels your using? They barrels look like PETG, but to me they seem a little thick.

1/2" ID 5/8" OD, because I have skinny darts.

Don't quote me on this, because I am not positive, but isn't it the same kind of tubing that you used for Senor Wences?

Initially, but they were switched out for thick-wall OMC PETG.

#12 Heat Signature

Heat Signature

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:57 PM

CaptainSlug, I pretty much can sum this up in eight words...Holy f**kin' shite, that is truly masterful work!!

What's next, a SMDTG that can hit 130' flat? :D
"I'VE GOT A BONE IN MY LEG!!!!!"-My great grandpa.

My Friend's blog

#13 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:53 AM

What's next

Something special.

#14 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:10 AM

On Topic: This is pretty cool, Slug. Far more compact and holsterable than the similar Hornet project. Nice job!

EDIT: Huh. Thought I was clever, turns out I just need to watch more Colbert.

Edited by Draconis, 24 March 2009 - 01:17 AM.

[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#15 Homestarune

Homestarune

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:59 AM

You sir, never cease to amaze me. Once again, bravo.
We're not discouraging people from joining a Nerf forum, we're discouraging them from joining this forum. It's an important distinction because, frankly, we don't give a shit. The Haven was created to escape the idiotic masses, now they're all here. -cxwq

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users