Photo

Reactor Legitimization

18 replies to this topic

#1 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:43 PM

Most of the credit for this goes to Daniel Beaver. He was the first one who theorized that a Reactor could benefit from having an inline clip on it. He said that a while ago, but today when we met up to do a trade, I was reminded of the idea. I figured I would have nothing to lose since the reactor I was using had a nearly destroyed ball-sealing piece (the black thing at the front), so it could hardly even shoot balls. So I present the result:

Posted Image

Here's a look down the tube:

Posted Image

It's a pretty simple setup. A piece of CPVC runs from the back of the orange tube until it reaches the elbow. The elbow then directs the flow of air upward. There is a hole drilled for another piece of CPVC, which connects the elbow to the tee. I plan to shorten the connecting piece of CPVC so that the assembly doesn't stick out so much. The rest is just a regular inline set-up. The barrel is 4" long and has a loosish fit on my darts. I think a longer barrel may work better, I'm going to do some tests soon. I will also get a longer copper tube so it can hold more darts (it holds 4 right now).

Ranges: I will test the gun outside tomorrow, when I have better stefans. Just estimating by the force it shoots across my house, I'd say it shoots about 50-62 feet flat. Considering the ROF, I think this is quite good.

Edited by venom213, 21 March 2009 - 11:19 PM.

#2 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:08 PM

Please cut down that chunk of CPVC. It makes me cry that its not smaller, as thats almost even a war worthy gun. I might even think of getting one of those to do something like that.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#3 NerfCrazy

NerfCrazy

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:10 PM

Great idea to do that. I just want to know ranges with better stefans and a shorter barrel to tee connector piece.

#4 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:28 PM

Please cut down that chunk of CPVC. It makes me cry that its not smaller, as thats almost even a war worthy gun. I might even think of getting one of those to do something like that.

Haha. Right when you said that I went and cut down the CPVC and replaced the picture. You can hardly see the difference. I got one of the reactors from Beaver today and I'm getting the other on Saturday. I would sell/trade one to you for a pretty good deal. I could tell that the gun's popularity was going to increase somewhat because of this mod.

Gage: As far as ranges: I think it's definatley good enough. I think it will be a suitable gun for rushing, especially around the building at the park we're nerfing at at on Saturday. The thing is, even singled Reactors only shoot like 70 feet and take so long to reload. This one only loses like 10-15 feet in range (I'm guessing), and the range loss is greatly made up for by the ammo capacity and overall ROF.

#5 NerfCrazy

NerfCrazy

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:35 PM

It's still nice range though and a nice ROF.

#6 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:46 AM

So it's basically an in-line clipped Reactor, similar in firing action to the FastBlast, a push-pull firing.

Nice! Good change up for those who don't want to shoot balls when everyone else is shootin' darts.

My son has a second-generation Ball Blaster (predecessor to the Reactor), and since we have no more balls, this looks like a good option to go with...dart conversion is always good, RSCB clips are always good too.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#7 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:04 AM

Wow, I'm slightly impressed. I'll show this to my friend, as she has a reactor. (Yes, SHE). :D

-Mehku

#8 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:15 PM

I like it. It looks like something K9turrent would use. He loves em RSCB barrels. I thought the reactor was a real POS before this. Singling it got barely passable ranges, and it had crappy ROF. This makes it have ranges better than a mav, and an excellent ROF. Too bad I can never get those RSCBs working. Mine never load properly, or spit out 4 darts at once. I guess I need to find a better barrel material for it.
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#9 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:55 PM

well I guess it's time get this POS gun to diddle ass with.

But how does the reactor actually fire? pump action? a simple steps would work

Edited by k9turrent, 22 March 2009 - 04:58 PM.

QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#10 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:58 PM

Barrel fit is a key requirement for getting the RCSB clips working. The clip needs to have a very loose fit on the darts, so that they fall through easily. You may need to cut a taper into the main barrel so that the darts slip into it slightly, forming a seal. Your milage may vary; I have personaly always had good luck with RCSB systems, but I can't for the life of me get an inline clip working.

#11 flashflint

flashflint

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 05:23 PM

Do you have to tilt it forward between shots? Or is there enough air volume to push the darts forward without tilting?

#12 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 05:50 PM

K9: It's a push pull gun. You pull the handle forward and then push it back in quickley to shoot. I knew you would like this as soon as I finished it.

flashflint: Yes, like most inline clips, you have to tilt it. I have an awseome looking way of tilting it though. I'll be making a video soon to show it.

#13 flashflint

flashflint

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:09 PM

awesome

#14 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:58 PM

I was just messing with my reactor a few minutes ago, I had added a similar barrel to mine, but it was on the inside of the ball chamber thing. I like this idea allot better. Good work.
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#15 balisticjoe

balisticjoe

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:04 PM

Holy crap! I just did this 5 days ago-only with the barrel coming out the front. even with the dead space in mine it gets the same ranges. now only to find a use for the worst spring in existence. mine has a bout a six in barrel and a 8 in-ish clip. using a piece of pool noodle for plugging the barrel. nice job yourself. try putting a small hoop on it to allow a belt clip so you could use it for rushing-but no need it as a constant primary.
There Are No Stupid Questions, But There Are A Lot Of Inquisitive Idiots.

#16 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:48 PM

Holy crap! I just did this 5 days ago-only with the barrel coming out the front. even with the dead space in mine it gets the same ranges. now only to find a use for the worst spring in existence. mine has a bout a six in barrel and a 8 in-ish clip. using a piece of pool noodle for plugging the barrel. nice job yourself. try putting a small hoop on it to allow a belt clip so you could use it for rushing-but no need it as a constant primary.

Very good! Yeah, I was thinking of ways that I could carry it around. I'll have to think up something before the war I'm having on Saturday. I didn't do an out the front barrel, because those kind of inline clips have never worked well for me.

#17 Alkorion

Alkorion

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:57 AM

That's awesome man. I have an old reactor lying around and I really want to do something useful with, this seems perfect! Any chance of some more pictures of the internals to go along with the verbal write-up? Ya know, something to "ease up" the modification process for a beginner like me? :lol:

EDIT: Thanks Venom, a write-up-ish thing would be great, and i do want to see it in action! However there is a good chance that i will get KILLED at a REAL nerf war, plus my LS is currently under heavy repair (primary=dead!) but the write up would be sweet, and if i do come to the war, i'll make sure i RSVP -

Edited by Alkorion, 23 March 2009 - 01:48 AM.

/ /~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\ \
|"Say hello, to my little Brute!"|
\ \~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~/ /

#18 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:08 AM

Alkorion: Yeah, I'll probably do a more complete write-up on it since I have at least one stock Reactor just sitting around. I'll at least open it up and take some pictures tomorrow. The design is incredibly simple though. You should come to the war in St. Paul on Saturday and see it in action!

Edited by venom213, 23 March 2009 - 01:08 AM.

#19 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:39 AM

I have a feeling that, if used correctly, this could be a heck of a gun in action. Like balisticjoe said though, I don't think it would sufice as a standalone primary except maybe for indoor wars. You never know though, if used well it could be pretty effective. I'm interested to see the video. Overall though, cool idea. I've been trying to find a way to do something like this to my reactor. I never thought of a clip out the top though. I've mainly been focusing on an inline design within the ball shooter. I'll have to try this out though.
QUOTE(TxNerfer @ Nov 13 2010, 12:42 PM) View Post

Hey...I got a crazy idea: how about you stop all that sigging stuff? It's not even my thread and it annoys me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users