http://8tracks.com/t...carina-of-rhyme

Discuss

#2 Echnalaid

Echnalaid

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:19 PM

What?
There was something on the bottom of the ad that said erotyka. Sounds like something spicy -Renegademilitia15

#3 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:29 PM

I'm sure someone else will shut this down, but I won't. I saw this on Digg yesterday and thought it was pretty cool.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#4 Thomas

Thomas

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:56 PM

This shit's tight. I've been listening all week.

#5 Dr Rockzo

Dr Rockzo

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:29 PM

Thanks for not shutting it down. I thought this was really cool.

#6 Jedijoe9

Jedijoe9

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:29 PM

I was suprised at how good this is. I thought for sure that zelda music and rap wouldn't work.

If you're a fan of this kind of thing, you should also check out Kleptones "Yoshimi Battles The Hip-Hop Robots." It's a mix of a flaming lips album with rap and it's got the same kind of feel.

I'm not 100% sure on the details, but I'm fairly positive this kind of mixing is legal too. Cool stuff.
"If you watch jaws backwards it's about a huge shark that throws up so many people that they need to open a beach."

I nerf like a four year old.

#7 RVMVTVProductions

RVMVTVProductions

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:39 PM

Holy crap, so many things happened in one off topic thread...

1. Tailo did not close it...
2. It rocks, and I hate rap, even...
3. It came from NerfHaven, not some gaming website...
4. It worked!

Just awesome.

Did I miss something?
SCUN's South County Representative

#8 Boss18

Boss18

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:16 PM

I personally think it sucked.I hate rap, and this is no exception.Rap takes very minimal skill theres hardly any singing, and all thats in the background is some drum machine.And ledgend of Zelda doesnt go good with rap.Or probably anything,
D0 U LiK3Z /\/\UDkIpZ? http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Burnboy85 <--- Clicky Cliky!

#9 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:25 PM

You can't spell crap without rap. Nuff said.

http://fairview.dead...eadfrontier.com

Great game, zombie apocalypse MMORPG. I'm acer34p3r on there.

#10 Thomas

Thomas

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:27 PM

You're a fucking idiot. Rap music is music, it translates these hard emotions. These are people pouring themselves out and you ignorantly disregard them. I hate when people limit themselves to genre's, it's stupid as fuck.
Anyway, Clipse- Virginia is the best, so is Edan - Fumbling over words

#11 Dr Rockzo

Dr Rockzo

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:40 PM

Yeah, I used to say "you can't spell crap without rap" in about 7th grade.

#12 Codename Pending

Codename Pending

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:04 PM

I am by no means a fan of rap, but I will give credit where credit is due. Those songs are pretty good.
That is definitely not something I would sit down and decide to listen to on my own. However, I have to say that it is pretty well done and an interesting mix of two very different styles.
I was the last person alive on my team during my second round at APOC when I hear a young guy on the other team say, "So who's going to tap that?"

#13 Horus

Horus

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:08 PM

I personally think it sucked.I hate rap, and this is no exception.Rap takes very minimal skill theres hardly any singing, and all thats in the background is some drum machine.And ledgend of Zelda doesnt go good with rap.Or probably anything,

You, sir, are very sterotypical, generalizing, and overall ignorant. Listen to THIS. Actually listen to it. Hear the words. Listen to the story. Try and understand what he is saying. Then try and say what you just said. Don't disrespect music.

This goes for all of you.

That is all.
That is all.

#14 umpshaplapa

umpshaplapa

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:29 AM

You, sir, are very sterotypical, generalizing, and overall ignorant. Listen to THIS. Actually listen to it. Hear the words. Listen to the story. Try and understand what he is saying. Then try and say what you just said. Don't disrespect music.

This goes for all of you.

That is all.

Here's a happier song.
I love the blend between the rap lyrics and the old school Zelda tracks.
QUOTE(Talio @ Jun 29 2009, 01:50 PM) View Post

i got a black belt in noob banning in 2004.

#15 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:51 AM

Keep it civil, dickheads, or we shut this down.

And delete a few of you.

That's why I hate music/art/politics/religion/military/movies/sports/entertainment threads. Especially on a NERF discussion board (even if 'tis off-topic).

One man's treasure is another one's shit. Live with it, people.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#16 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:40 AM

That's poetry. Pretty decent, too, in my opinion.

It uses music, it is set to music, but it most definitely is not music.

Sure it is.*

The clear test is that it obviously could work exactly as well if set to any of thousands of totally different tunes.

That isn't a definition I ever learned.

Music is defined as the interplay of melody, harmony, timbre and rhythm, but doesn't necessarily have to use all of them. Rap is music much in the same way as a percussion section is, as both employ rhythm and timbre. Just because a genre is open ended doesn't preclude it from being music.

Anyway, I'm not convinced it would work "just as well" with any other music....the theme from Love Story was a brilliant choice, in that it used the emotional baggage of the original work to complement the theme of the lyrics. Bringing it back to the original post, that's why I don't think the original Zelda raps work on any deep level. Sure, the sounds blend well, but the Zelda melodies come with their own emotional baggage...which is why I felt it was a little jarring when the raps weren't about Hyrule.

Just some thoughts in the spirit of discussion.

*There's a whole 'nother debate about Lyrics Vs. Poetry. I'm not even going there.

EDIT: And of course, my answer isn't the beat-all, end-all, either. I just love the debate about what is and isn't music.

Edited by Carbon, 19 March 2009 - 08:49 AM.

Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#17 loni

loni

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:30 PM

I love how people are going to try and say rap isnt music, how do you have that jurisdiction? It's fine to hate rap and want to never hear it again, because that is your opinion. But to say it is not music is just stupid. Many say it takes no skill. I know for a fact that 75% of the people on this forum have at least once tried to rap, and how did it sound? no pun intended, but I bet it sounded like crap. Rap is not just a mish-mosh of synthesizers and some guy talking. Rap is most definately music, there is no evidence to deny it.

Definition of music from Dictionary.com:
mu⋅sic [myoo-zik] - an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.

Based on this, I think its pretty clear that rap is music.

-Loni

Edited by loni, 19 March 2009 - 04:31 PM.

"I don't nerf to see who is the best, I nerf to see who is the biggest bitch"

#18 UpperHand

UpperHand

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:15 PM

It uses music, it is set to music, but it most definitely is not music.

The clear test is that it obviously could work exactly as well if set to any of thousands of totally different tunes.

This argument doesn't make much sense. Just because something will "work" over different chord changes or arpeggios doesn't mean it will sound good. A drum beat for Rage against the Machine could work over a Jack Johnson song if they are both in 4/4 time, and would sound really out of place. A solo in the key of G for a folk tune could be played over a metal song in G, or even over a song in C for a mixolydian feel. Just because you can cut and paste music onto other music doesn't mean it isn't music. Look at the mash-up artist Girl Talk. He makes his living mashing all different songs, not just rap.

Edited by UpperHand, 19 March 2009 - 05:15 PM.

My SCR-6
My Homemade Sidearm
The least you could do is tell me some advice. geese!

-- Headshot 21

#19 Dr Rockzo

Dr Rockzo

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:34 PM

This thread was nice while it lasted.

#20 Boss18

Boss18

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:52 PM

I'm going to heed Piney's advice and not start an arguement, some rap is good.And others are absouley stupid.Most rap promotes, drugs, sex, violence,racism gangs, and bad language(sp?) Sure most guitar players smoke or do drugs, but there not sitting there wearing 5 pounds of metal around their neck and fingers, smoking weed while drinking heavily, and singing about it, knowing that some children will listen to this, possibly find it "cool" and grow up and do it.I'm not so sure about rap, but some of the more Iconic guitar songs arnt about any of this. Smoke on the water is aobut a building being burned down.Sweet child is about a girl.And then theres songs that are kinda debatable weither there appropriot. One by Metallica is pretty much about a guy who looses his arms and legs in a war and wants to commit suicide.I'll just leave it at this, and I'm not going to respond anymore, unless absoulutely nessicary. (sp?)

Edit: I dont look at guiar Icons for what they do.I look for how they play.I honestly dont care what slash is doing while hes playing guitar, I'll be more focused on what he's playing, and how he goes about doing it.

Edited by Boss18, 19 March 2009 - 07:54 PM.

D0 U LiK3Z /\/\UDkIpZ? http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Burnboy85 <--- Clicky Cliky!

#21 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:01 PM

Yep, you kids are clearly unable to handle yourselves when it comes to discussions like these.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users