Photo

Longshot Breakthough (takes Stress Of The Boltsled) (writeup's Up)

Putting an end to the hell I started with singeled longshots

70 replies to this topic

#26 legacy179

legacy179

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:20 PM

I spot an extremely large problem: you can't use the stock effectively. The string would just be under the friction of your shoulder, and stay in place, or atleast go in really slowly.

~F!nnster

PS: the LongBow is kind of a good name, but it's also really, really stupid (I highly suggest that you rename it).

No. He put the string hole in the side of the stock, so it does not get stuck between your shoulder and the stock.

Edited by legacy179, 12 March 2009 - 08:41 PM.

#27 stuck by stefan

stuck by stefan

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:37 PM

Nice, not that big of a deal though, I think it would be better with a stock like from this. Linky If you do that I might like it! (although I hate longshots)

Edited by stuck by stefan, 12 March 2009 - 08:45 PM.

This is the NerfHaven profile of Northeast Designs. For more info visit https://www.facebook...p8OwIso&fref=nf

Old school Nerf engineer since 2008

#28 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:46 PM

...From what I have heard not that many people use longshots....

What parallel fucking universe are you from?

You really don't see LS's in use in major East Coast wars at all, these days at least, and from what I understand from Vacc, and most of the Mag 7, ever.

I do really like this mod Ice. Glue will always wear down under constant use and substantial forces. No amount of "work ethic" is going to fix that. This will increase the lifespan of the angel breech, the major pitfall of the whole mod. Also, the video was good. Maybe try rehearsing a bit so you don't have to make pauses in your sentences, but it was very much like you are in person, not angry and without sleeves.

Edit: Working on getting a PM to you, but we'll see. PM sent.

Edited by Splitlip, 12 March 2009 - 09:03 PM.

Teehee.

#29 Echnalaid

Echnalaid

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:08 PM

I spot an extremely large problem: you can't use the stock effectively. The string would just be under the friction of your shoulder, and stay in place, or atleast go in really slowly.

~F!nnster

PS: the LongBow is kind of a good name, but it's also really, really stupid (I highly suggest that you rename it).

The LongBow was made by BallisticJoe. I had the pleasure of seeing it perform and handle. The LongBow uses a differatn kind of stock.
There was something on the bottom of the ad that said erotyka. Sounds like something spicy -Renegademilitia15

#30 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:16 PM

Ice, it's not a breakthrough if it reduces performance.

The bolt sled may be intact, but while you're getting hit from all directions, trying to prime the gun, you'll wish you stuck with the normal bolt...
QUOTE(NerfUK @ May 8 2009, 11:54 AM) View Post

(I forgot to take a picture of my own poppers)

QUOTE(analogkid @ May 20 2009, 10:04 PM) View Post

Every size rod you could ever want.

#31 Salindin Naz

Salindin Naz

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:25 PM

It's not a bad idea at all, and from the looks of it, it can still be primed from the handle. Looks to me he either tapped a hole in the end of the plunger rod or just tied a string to it. This way if time is not the issue, the 80-90% of the time you won't need to use the bolt sled to prime it, making it last all that much longer.
And as far a glues for Angel Breeches go, pick up some Easton Fast Set Fletching glue. It's for making arrows. That's what I use and the stuff is stronger that anything I've seen before. And what's the big deal anyway if it take an extra second to prime? There's no pumping involved so you'll still have a pretty good rate of fire.
Anyway that's just my opinion.

Salindin

#32 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:10 AM

This in no way is a "bad" mod as people are suggesting. You now have two ways to prime the gun.

Granted, the second method now renders the point of a Longshot moot. Priming time on a singled longshot is marginally increased, and priming time on a clipped longshot is probably tripled.

I'd rather go with improving the current cocking method than inventing a new one.

Also:

Forsakenangel24 (1 hour ago)
Nice now if we can replace the string with a Crossbow handle of some kind on an extended stock we would be in business! This is a good step towards the next advancement of Longshots.

http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=15167
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#33 GodOThunder8882

GodOThunder8882

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:57 AM

I agree that this is a great idea, congrats. However, I'm not so sure I like the idea of another step to fire my longshot. It was already bad enough having to remove my hand from the front of the gun to prime it (so I added the shotgun priming grip); now there are two levers to pull back before it's ready to fire.

Still though, good job.

#34 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 03:44 AM

That is pretty cool. As many people have said, I would worry about the keyring shooting upwards and hitting me in the face when fired. The problem with the magnet idea is that it takes another few split seconds to put the keyring on the magnet. Im going to do something similar, because I worked on my old angel breech for 3 months, and I could never get the nub to stay on for more than a week, with a pile of instacure (which FA_24 says works better than fishin glue) and epoxy putty.
PS: I love the music in the LnL video. I think it's from guitar hero 3 but Im not sure.
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#35 durka durka

durka durka

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 05:25 AM

This is a very interesting mod. Like a lot of other members, I think that adding an extra step to loading a gun is never a good idea (not to say this idea wasn't good).
I think instead of complaining about how inconvenient the extra loading step is, we should figure out a way to reduce/fix this problem.
"The warrior who cultivates his mind polishes his arms"

#36 NerfDude1138

NerfDude1138

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:51 AM

Ice,

I like this idea, but as others here have said it now takes two steps to prime. Is there any way of tying the two actions together? In other words, when you pull the string, can something connected to it also open the breach and then maybe a spring makes the breach go forward again to chamber a round? I guess it would have to release from the breach and re-engage after firing. Maybe this is too complicated; we need to see how you've hooked it up.

Edited by NerfDude1138, 13 March 2009 - 10:52 AM.

Check out all my mods on FU.

Foam Universe
We are a friendly and rapidly growing Nerfing community.

#37 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:12 AM

I do like this idea, because I know it is one not necessarily fault of the Angel breech, but one portion that people frequently have problem with. However, I think that there could be alternative solutions to the same problem. I may be absolutely wrong, but wouldn't diagonal support struts from the bolt to the brass also solve the problem? It would provide for a much larger surface area to grip onto and should provide some great support if done correctly. And I don't mean coming off of the rear of the bolt going backwards, just coming down and attaching to the brass so that it would look kind of like a web. It's hard to explain, I'm not sure if I got the point across. But basically, just some other form of support strut in order to help maintain strength would, I think, be a better way to take some stress off of the bolt sled-brass connection. But like I said originally, I do like this idea, although it does take away from the ROF that an angel breach provides you with.
QUOTE(TxNerfer @ Nov 13 2010, 12:42 PM) View Post

Hey...I got a crazy idea: how about you stop all that sigging stuff? It's not even my thread and it annoys me.

#38 Rogue Warrior

Rogue Warrior

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:20 PM

Well, I suppose it's a decent idea. I just don't think it's THAT good. Instead of taking the stress of the boltsled, why not make a new one out of Polycarbonate? I personally can't but I know that some other people on this sight can. The stock boltsled is ABS, ABS is much weaker than polycarbonate. I don't think that you would need to use anything larger than 1/8''. Once again I d on't have the tools to do this so don't bag on me about it.
My GT is Spacecowboy9951

#39 balisticjoe

balisticjoe

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:12 PM

I have to give credit where it's deserved, I though it up (but I'm sure I'm not the first) when my frist LS boltsled snapped a year or two back, but thought I couldn't do it. Mr.BadWrench reminded me of it a couple weeks back, and then I saw how ballistic Joe did a similar thing but with a piece of wood, requiring a whole new stock design. I started working on it 2 days ago, so it's not perfect/done yet, but it's close. Hey, I'm happy with it, and I hope some others will use it.

A little LongBow-esque?

I actually came up with the idea of just a alternate fire of the gun with a twist of making it more crossbow-esque. At mcno I remember ice being particularly interested in the idea. I told him how it works and some of the concerns with it. I'm glad he was able to come up with a better way of using it. To the people that are complaining about the rof-what do you mean its slow. it takes less than a second to reload easily-it has a clip to advance a dart. Even the crossbow takes a minute to reload with a breech. You may add a at2k-it is just a easy to integrate a sidearm into the ls-fist mod stuff people. Great work ice-glad you could turn a broken ls into something good-even great.
There Are No Stupid Questions, But There Are A Lot Of Inquisitive Idiots.

#40 nerfnut23

nerfnut23

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:00 AM

Tie the bolt handles to the priming string, and an internal extension spring, and there, no ROF woes. Still too slow? Buy a Magstrike. Other than the extra step to cock it, kudos. And try the string and spring idea. It works like a charm.
American society: A legitimate clusterfuck since 1965.

#41 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 01:48 PM

Why not just glue on a bar-thing like you did on your singled longshot (except onto the angel breech)? Or add one of hereticorp's foregrips? Or just attach a priming handle onto the part of the boltsled that shows under the jam door? These would all be less awkward and easier to do.

#42 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 03:46 PM

Why not just glue on a bar-thing like you did on your singled longshot (except onto the angel breech)? Or add one of hereticorp's foregrips? Or just attach a priming handle onto the part of the boltsled that shows under the jam door? These would all be less awkward and easier to do.

Why don't you just read the thread before you post something that has already been brought up multiple times?
<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#43 Drew is nerfing

Drew is nerfing

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 04:20 PM

OR...you could just use more/better glue and reinforce the boltsled? That way you could have non-crappy ROF? My boltsled has never broken and I have an ar-15+stock spring combo.

#44 nerfnut23

nerfnut23

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 04:30 PM

Why don't you just read the thread before you post something that has already been brought up multiple times?

ice, I will answer this. I think you mean a piece of PVC in a tee on the Angel Breech. 2 reasons. 1, PVC is a bitch to fix compared to ABS, and 2, the bolt couldn't go back far enough with it on.

Or just attach a priming handle onto the part of the boltsled that shows under the jam door?

This is to keep the ability to use magazines, not to single it.

Or add one of hereticorp's foregrips?

In the original post, he said that he was tired of the glue snapping under the stress.

OR...you could just use more/better glue and reinforce the boltsled? That way you could have non-crappy ROF? My boltsled has never broken and I have an ar-15+stock spring combo.

He said in the original post that he was using epoxy and Fishin' Glue.... Not the 5-minute shit, are you using that, Ice? ONLY use 24-hour epoxy, the 2-part stuff. I have used that stuff to fix drillbits......once. I didn't know that epoxy had a low melting point. Oops. :lol:
And whoever said abot building a boltsled out of polycarbonate is smart. But the thing is, I cannot, nor has anyone succeeded to my knowledge. Where's CS or FA_24? :lol: Kidding. But seriously, a polycarbonate boltsled would be Effeminate WIN in its purest form. CS, you up for it?

Edited by nerfnut23, 15 March 2009 - 04:36 PM.

American society: A legitimate clusterfuck since 1965.

#45 Glint

Glint

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:56 PM

Instead of having to pull it back and then use the priming handle, why not attach the strong to both the bolt sled and the plunger rod, so it pulls equally on both (don't just attach it to the plunger rod or [/b]just[/b]the bolt sled). This'll make the weight distribution even (like the shotgun grip does), but also not cut down on loading time. Plus, if you make it solid somehow you could have a Crossbow handle like FA24 suggested.

Or maybe I'm crazy.

Edited by Glint, 15 March 2009 - 08:56 PM.

This has spiraled beyond uselessness into utterly stupidy.
- VACC
Read it again until you figure it out.

#46 umpshaplapa

umpshaplapa

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:18 PM

If you want strong glue try wood working stores. There's one near me and I found some strong shit there. Just try to find the purest C.A. adhesive they have. I've glued my dremel sanding bit back together with it and it's never broken again.
The glue I got is "99.5% pure"
QUOTE(Talio @ Jun 29 2009, 01:50 PM) View Post

i got a black belt in noob banning in 2004.

#47 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:48 AM

First I'd like to say: I'm sorry if I came/ will come off as a jerk, I don't mean to flame. :)

ice, I will answer this. I think you mean a piece of PVC in a tee on the Angel Breech. 2 reasons. 1, PVC is a bitch to fix compared to ABS, and 2, the bolt couldn't go back far enough with it on.

Ok, I came up with this because alot of people have given up on longshots due to there weak boltsleds, and here's a reason for them not to. I myself own 10 longshots (most of them gifts for x-mas and b-day), so I got tried of them breaking as well. This is an extremely simple mod, and it still lets the clip work, but it can also be applied to cpvc longshot, which is what I did it for. For a regular longshot chamber, simply cut the tab off the chamber where the bolt sled attaches to, and epoxy in a 1/2 pvc pipe. All you have to do is pull back on the bar to prime it. But, as I said, I cpvc'ed it. So here's what I did.

Sorry, I will agree that yes, PVC is a bitch to fix, but I'm not sure about the bolt not going back far enough.

This is to keep the ability to use magazines, not to single it.

I'd post the link if I could find it, but what I mean is that you make a bolt out of wood and attach it to the top-boltsled-barrel-connector piece, so it still uses clips.

In the original post, he said that he was tired of the glue snapping under the stress.

Wait... what? I mean one of these, as I recall there is no glue involved, or bolt-sled.

Again, I seriously don't mean to flame.

EDIT: Oh, THAT glue, for the

top-boltsled-barrel-connector piece

I just sawed that piece off, with the entire barrel segment, then I dremeled down the inside so that it would slide nicely over the brass.

Edited by wing'd man, 16 March 2009 - 09:52 AM.

#48 boisie

boisie

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:25 PM

Why not just take some more time to fashion a new internal piece out of sheet aluminum that a) reinforced that boltsled, or :) primed the longshot and took the stress of the boltsled while moving the boltsled with it. I'd go with a, but b seems reasonable. Maybe it would be better with polycarb.
QUOTE(One Man Clan) View Post
You understand what you just did posting a picture of 4 girls on a message board chock full of nerdy virgins, right?
QUOTE(Foamfoot) View Post
Maybe if we download Ubuntu Christian edition, God will help us install it.

#49 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:14 PM

You guys are missing the point here. The Angel Breech is what fails mainly. The nub and boltsled typically last longer than it. This solves all three, but the angel breech perk is the most prominent one. The glue on it will eventually break down no matter what, this just makes it happen a lot later than normal.
Teehee.

#50 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:30 PM

Ice, I don't get it. I always thought that the bolt sled broke from the plunger head slamming into the front of the plunger tube, not from cocking it.. The only thing that this would prevent (from what I know) is that annoying orange tab on the top of the bolt breaking off (the part that connects the sled). I personally don't don't have an angel breach, but that's my 2 cents.

If you want a longshot to do what it was intended to do, I would put a shotgun fore grip on it and leave the long-range stuff for the BBB or some other gun.

-Mehku

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users