Headshots

Right or wrong?

67 replies to this topic

#26 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:01 PM

Indoors is where headshots are part of everyday nerf, and I say yes to their being allowed. They are, as Angel said, the most comedic ones, except for maybe groin shots.

http://fairview.dead...eadfrontier.com

Great game, zombie apocalypse MMORPG. I'm acer34p3r on there.

#27 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:12 PM

This thread kinda confounds me, I must admit. It seems to be getting heated and yet everyone is in agreement. I've never seen an instance where headshots don't count as hits. I got shot in the eye with a crossbow ( I thought it was a crossbow) from about 30 ft at meltdown, and aside from some profanity there was no discussion; it was a hit.

They count. Don't aim for the head if you have any other option. Accidents happen. Not sure what else there is to discuss. Personally, I find the kind of rounds where I have no option but to aim at heads boreing. I prefer to celebrate the gaps between paintball and nerf as opposed to narrowing them.

#28 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:33 PM

Headshots are encouraged when I nerf. We play that 2 body hits and you're out or 1 headshot are you're out. Sometimes we even play headshots ONLY variants. People will be turning corners with maxshots and PASs aiming for heads, it's awesome. Also I've some to the conclusion that getting shot in the finger hurts ten times worse then the side of the head.

ANd don't forget when you headshot someone, it's the best feeling in the world.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#29 loni

loni

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:35 PM

In my opinion taking away head shots is taking away, in a sense, a competitive edge to the game. I personally enjoy getting head shots, of course its stupid to aim at the head if the whole body is visible. But I dont think there should even be a discussion about having head shots banned at wars, thats just a silly thing to say. I have been shot in the head numerous times, and of cousre im pissed off when it happens but it also makes me want to go out and make sure I shoot that guy back, but that is most likely my competitive side coming out. Also, I think its funny to watch people who were on the recieving side of a head shot and the comical griping/cursing that is most likely the result. And the fact that people want apologies for head shots is so childish. I can only picture a pre-school teacher scolding her students. "Now now Jimmy, say your sorry for hitting Billy in the head". I mean honestly if you think someone should apologize for hitting you in the head, than you might as well ask them to apologize for just shooting you at all (insert sarcasm here), just like FA had posted in one of his videos, getting shot anywhere can hurt, alot.

-Loni

Edited by loni, 12 March 2009 - 03:36 PM.

"I don't nerf to see who is the best, I nerf to see who is the biggest bitch"

#30 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:43 PM

Okay, some people in this thread are saying they don't know what the big fight is about. Let me clear this up. I'm not saying that headshots shouldn't be a valid hit, because by all means they are. The thread was trying to get across the point of people misusing their power. Headshotting on purpose for the person being a dick? C'mon, we're all mature here, and even if we're not we should try to be. I understand if a person accidentally hits someone in the head, but if you constantly hit people in the head, you're no longer nerfing. You're being an asshole. I don't want anyone taking personal offence to this. I'm just saying it's not right to aim for the head, but if it happens, it happens. You make up for what you did, and keep nerfing. I just wanted a valid reason on why people aim for the head, and I still haven't gotten one.

EDIT: Why are people thinking i'm saying you should take away headshots? I'm not. I'm asking why there would ever be a reason to aim for the head. Just wanted to make this clear.

Edited by Magic, 12 March 2009 - 03:45 PM.

#31 loni

loni

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:05 PM

I'm asking why there would ever be a reason to aim for the head. Just wanted to make this clear.

Well aiming ta the head and the subsequent head shot are appealing because...

1. Even if it bothers the other person, its still very enjoyable and brings with it a happy feeling. You know the feeling, its similar to a subconscious "YESSSSSS!!!!!".

2. Aiming at the head is also appealing if its the only part of the body visible.

3. Aiming at the head is the only way to "kill" your opponent. Such as in zombies or what not.

4. Head shots are funny.

#32 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:33 PM

I've been traveling to wars for the past 8 years, and have been shot in just about every conceivable part of my body with a Nerf dart. Headshots are particularly nasty because there's obviously a lot of sensitive areas on the face, and eyeballs are somewhat important to keep. Let's face it, this game isn't about humilating others or causing them pain. Besides, there are many, many other places you can hit someone to cause them pain.

Head shots should be allowed, but not encouraged.

Pretty much my sentiments exactly. In my opinion, nobody should intentionally aim for another person's face. Headshots are just sometimes unavoidable, that's why I enforce a mandatory eye-protection rule at all of the DCNO's I host. That's why you rarely see me without my Ray-Ban's during a war.

-Groove

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#33 Glint

Glint

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:35 PM

loni, headshoting someone just for "laughs" or "because it's fun" is completely unacceptable.

My view on this is don't aim for the head, but if your shots happen to hit the head then suck it up and continue on. Don't purposely shoot someone in the head.

This has spiraled beyond uselessness into utterly stupidy.
- VACC
Read it again until you figure it out.

#34 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:45 PM

1. Even if it bothers the other person, its still very enjoyable and brings with it a happy feeling. You know the feeling, its similar to a subconscious "YESSSSSS!!!!!".

ANd don't forget when you headshot someone, it's the best feeling in the world.

Hey forsaken, I think we found those 'vets' you were looking for earlier.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#35 Dr Rockzo

Dr Rockzo

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:09 PM

Everyone has basically said the same thing so far.

I once got shot in the head with a shit stefan that had washer showing. That sucked, but it counted.

#36 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:27 PM

Before this March Meltdown bullshit no one had ever told me to not aim for the head at any war that I've attended. It didn't concern me because the eye protection rule was always enforced. I figured, "hey, we're protecting our eyes, let's see if we can hit each other in the head." After all, wouldn't you agree that being able to hit people in the head demonstrates a mastery of your weapon? Not that I am, or have ever been, a very good shot, but that's the philosophy I've brought to every war I've attended. I've definitely been hit in the head many more times than I've hit other people in the head, so I'd have to assume that I'm not the only person who feels this way. I've never once received an apology after being shot in the head, for which I am thankful - why apologize unless I've been injured? Generally the only thing I say after such a hit is, "holy shit, you hit me right in the temple, nice shot." Furthermore, the only knowledge I have of someone ever being hurt by a shot to the head was Axl Rose at BCNO. He was not wearing eye protection, so I don't see how that incident, or any other, can be cited when questioning the safety of a headshot when eye protection rules are being enforced.

#37 Nerf Bros

Nerf Bros

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:32 PM

I'm agreeing with almost every one on the thread. A head shot should be counted as a hit... It is a part of your body after all, but at the same time it really should be avoided. I mean, who really wants to walk around with a huge welt on their face for the next day. Then again if its the only part of the body you can see, then it's really your only option.

-nerfbros
We have no sig.

#38 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:41 PM

I kinda agree with Rambo on this one. It's safe, so why not get one? I personally am not going to go out of my way for headshots because it results in a lower chance of getting a hit. Not a good thing.

I have similar sentiments about barrel tapping. I think the pain brings an edge to the game. People are going to be more scared and less daring if more pain is involved. In airsoft, I usually refuse to play with people unless they're wearing a t-shirt. Without pain, people just do whatever the fuck they want to.

You don't want too much pain in nerf, though, because then people will just be hiding the whole time.

Edited by TantumBull, 12 March 2009 - 05:42 PM.

#39 loni

loni

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for the great contribution to this topic, I really like how astute your insight was.

-Loni

EDIT: Glint I get that, but i said its only when the shot is there, its not purely for "shits and giggles".

Edited by loni, 12 March 2009 - 05:55 PM.

#40 Homestarune

Homestarune

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:49 PM

If someone pops out their head around a wall or an obstacle, I'm going to try to pop them in the head if they are wearing eye protection. Having said that, anyone who goes for headshots intentionally for the "lulz" or because they are "leik t3h best snіper evar!" who thinks that getting headshots makes you badass needs to be removed from whatever war they are at. Headshots are dangerous. Headshots hurt. However, headshots are a part of the body, and should be therefore counted as a hit. It seems pretty clear that that is the consensus of the NIC from what I've read so far, and I concur.
We're not discouraging people from joining a Nerf forum, we're discouraging them from joining this forum. It's an important distinction because, frankly, we don't give a shit. The Haven was created to escape the idiotic masses, now they're all here. -cxwq

#41 Skitzo

Skitzo

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:02 PM

I don't really see what the big problem is. We are basically all in agreement at this point except for people arguing whether you should "intend" to score a head shot, and what should be behind that intent.

Personally I don't have a problem with getting hit in the head, sure it hurts but it can be much worse.
The only time I would actually aim for the head would be when I truly believe that I could make the shot "safely" and if the shot was necessary.

I'm a bit divided on the head shot for pleasure argument. In the rare case where I actually score an intended head shot I would be pretty proud of myself, but only if the person was uninjured. (Similar to scoring a running shot or any other similarly difficult shot)
I don't think aiming for a head shot based on "payback" or "that guys a dick" is a very good thing to do, it goes against the very values of Nerf, its not about causing pain or even winning, its about having fun...
(maybe fun needs to be added to the coc, alot of people seem to be missing that part)

Skitzo-

Edited by Skitzo, 12 March 2009 - 07:05 PM.

If soldiers were to begin to think, not one of them would remain in the army.- Frederick The Great

#42 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:06 PM

Langley if you go back to the beginning of the thread and read the first post you will see WE ARE talking about whether head shots should count or not.

Actually, if you read it, as you pointed out that I copied it to this thread, we're asking if we should enforce not aiming for the face. You can't change the words around to prove your point if it's not sound logically. NoF messed up the wording the first time around (and clarified on page 3), but you know as well as I do what the real question was and is.

As for your exaggerated diatribe about sucking the dick of whoever's face you hit, that's by no means a logical or ethical reasoning. Gankfest 3, I hit a kid in the face from 100 feet. He was apparently bleeding from his lip. I asked from that distance if he was alright, and continued playing. Exaggerating something and then shooting down the exaggerated version does not work to prove a point; you're just trying to appeal to emotions.

As for "bases" and "bunkers", don't stand around and take pot shots at each other. Charge in, make a strategic move, do something. Like Vacc said, if you don't, it gets boring fast.

As for the "pluralize what I have done once", allow me to also quote, "Whenever I do aim for the head I am doing it because I feel the person has done many dick moves." Whenever is not a strictly singular statement, so that wasn't Langley who did that, it was you.

Mainly, and most importantly, FA, is this:

What can I say I love head shots. They take more skill and are a much more entertaining hit. The second one was basically fluke.
I hit many people in the head. What can I say I am a good shot.
Once again I am really going to suggest you wear eye protection at these wars.

which completely infers that you aim for the head more frequently than just "the person has done many dick moves", and provides motive for doing it.

loni, seriously, you're doing the same thing FA is here. "that people want apologies for head shots (is so childish)" is not what anyone is saying. You apologize, so you don't look or feel like a dick for hurting someone, even if it was an accident. It's immature not to, because you're not taking responsibility for your actions.

Phil, we know what you're saying, but don't be too much of a dick about it.

Skitzo, I like how you verbalized that. Pm sent.

Edited by Splitlip, 12 March 2009 - 07:07 PM.

Teehee.

#43 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:50 PM

I'm sorry, I just love the word 'douchebag'. I wonder though, if the satisfaction I get from calling someone a douchebag is anything like the satisfaction of scoring a headshot on them instead. Maybe I am missing out.....

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#44 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:12 PM

We all know that a headshot is the only way to kill a zombie.
QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

If at first you don't succeed, add more epoxy.

#45 loni

loni

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:42 PM

I love it when people debate stuff like this :unsure:

Anyways, all I'm saying is that your playing a game that involves flying projectiles, which are most of the time gonna hit you even if the other person wasn't aiming for you. If you get hit in the head/face/neck area, say your curses, roll around in the grass, cry, bitch or do whatever you want to do. You were shot in the head fair and square, it doesnt matter if it was on purpose or not. If you dont wanna get hit in the head wear goggles or a helmet. You shouldnt expect an apology because its a completely legal shot, and it counts anyways. Let me make a comparison. Can we all agree that we need our thumbs to live a happy life? I'm gonna say yes, well it hurts to get shot in your thumb, but you dont see people apologizing for that do ya?

Granted I know that that was a terrible comparison, but I thought it might help a little, most likely not though (like that mountain dew commercial).

Anyways, at the end of the day either wear goggles and protection or stop complaining about getting shot. But back on to the original topic, dont reply tp this post asking why people like to go head hunting every once in a while, I have already discussed that.

-Loni

Edited by loni, 12 March 2009 - 08:44 PM.

#46 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:48 PM

Thanks for the great contribution to this topic, I really like how astute your insight was.

-Loni

Act like an asshole, get treated like one. It's true here and it's true elsewhere, so go try that shit at a war and see what happens. If you think hurting people is fun this isn't the hobby for you.

Edited by NerfMonkey, 12 March 2009 - 08:49 PM.

SexD Warves

#47 Boss18

Boss18

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:53 PM

I think that headshots should be allowed.It makes sence.Say you just pop up and take an amazing shot, and by accident hit the guy you're shooting in the head.What then? Is he still in? Also, it encourages the use of eye protection, which is a big must in my books.
D0 U LiK3Z /\/\UDkIpZ? http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Burnboy85 <--- Clicky Cliky!

#48 Homestarune

Homestarune

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:55 PM

dont reply tp this post asking why people like to go head hunting every once in a while, I have already discussed that.

-Loni

I'm so sorry that anyone would ever offend you as to ask why you would act sadistically. Bottom line, if you're in it for headshots get the hell out of Nerf and play Counterstrike. You have completely missed the whole point of this sport.
We're not discouraging people from joining a Nerf forum, we're discouraging them from joining this forum. It's an important distinction because, frankly, we don't give a shit. The Haven was created to escape the idiotic masses, now they're all here. -cxwq

#49 loni

loni

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:57 PM

Act like an asshole, get treated like one. It's true here and it's true elsewhere, so go try that shit at a war and see what happens. If you think hurting people is fun this isn't the hobby for you.

I wasn't acting like an asshole, I was simply giving my opinion. Isn't what this is all about? I have been at numeros wars with my friends, I have both shot them in the head, and been shot numerous times in the head by darts and other projectiles, the worst was a baseball. So trust me I'm not just an asshole that has shot people in the head but has never gotten shot before, so I know what it feels like.

-Loni

Edit: Homestarune, you and everyone else must think that I shoot people to hurt them on purpose. I have never once said that. I said its funny sometimes when people get hurt, I dont always aim to shoot people in the head but if the shot is there than I do no hesitate to take the shot. Also, I shoot whatever I see first or am able to shoot, not because it hurts them but because it is the available/easiest shot.

Edited by loni, 12 March 2009 - 09:01 PM.

#50 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:23 PM

I'm sorry, I just love the word 'douchebag'. I wonder though, if the satisfaction I get from calling someone a douchebag is anything like the satisfaction of scoring a headshot on them instead. Maybe I am missing out.....

My personal favorite is "Dumb Bitch!"

Go ahead.
Next time somebody cuts you off in traffic, yell it.

You'll feel better.

:D
tcambre on IRC.

<3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users