Nitefinder Mod

no more cracked plunger heads damnit

5 replies to this topic

#1 Jazzmage

Jazzmage

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:31 PM

I was having problems with the plunger head on my Nitefinder cracking and basically being a pain in the ass, so I came up with a nice little mod to fix it. Basically, what I ended up doing was moving the plunger chamber forward about an inch, so that the plunger head no longer hits on the front of the plunger chamber. Here are some pictures to show what I’m talking about.

Posted Image
This is where the chamber was originally.

Posted Image
This is where I moved it to. It is attached with epoxy on the contact points with the cracks filled in with hot glue.

This moves the striking point on the plunger rod to the back part where the handle is, which I have found to be much stronger. This allows me to use a much stronger spring as well as heavy banding (about 20 or so rubber bands) without noticeable wear on the gun after several hundred shots thus far, and it also slightly increases the plunger stroke as well.

Here are some more reference shots:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Closed up. As you can see, the plunger chamber extends a tiny bit beyond the original casing.

Posted Image
Finished gun, minimized, covered with hockey tape.

Posted Image
Cocked gun. Still pulls back the same amount, but travels closer to the gun as seen above

Posted Image
Looking down the barrel. As you can see, there is about an eighth to a quarter of an inch clearance on the plunger head to the end of the plunger chamber.

#2 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:49 PM

That just creates dead space, resulting in a range decrease. If it works for you, then great, but most people don't have this problem(I think).
"Sorry rokor...my cousin is gay too...it's okay...we're tolerant"
Talio in Shoutbox.

#3 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:53 PM

That just creates dead space, resulting in a range decrease. If it works for you, then great, but most people don't have this problem(I think).

Sure, it creates about an 1/8 of an inch of deadspace, but it also increases the plunger stroke by about 3/4 of an inch, making it not a big deal.

Jazz: Cushion / extend the plunger head so it does come into contact with the end of the tube. Otherwise your putting all of the strain on the back of the shell, which will break much sooner then a well glued PT. You actually just made your gun more likely to break, although you did add plunger travel.

#4 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:57 PM

Sure, it creates about an 1/8 of an inch of deadspace, but it also increases the plunger stroke by about 3/4 of an inch, making it not a big deal.

Jazz: Cushion / extend the plunger head so it does come into contact with the end of the tube. Otherwise your putting all of the strain on the back of the shell, which will break much sooner then a well glued PT. You actually just made your gun more likely to break, although you did add plunger travel.

I guess you're right, I wasn't really thinking...
"Sorry rokor...my cousin is gay too...it's okay...we're tolerant"
Talio in Shoutbox.

#5 Jazzmage

Jazzmage

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:03 PM

I actually did the mod on this particular gun about a month or two back, as well as on another about 9 or so months ago, and both have held up wonderfully. The contact point on the shell is right next to a screw well, so the plastic is supported.

Edited by Jazzmage, 11 March 2009 - 06:04 PM.

#6 lambchop

lambchop

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:56 PM

Thanks this has happened to me and this will help me to prevent that. Great Job.
Just keep swimming just keep swimming STOP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users