Help On Nerf War

Supplying Blasters

15 replies to this topic

#1 rbtying

rbtying

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:29 PM

I'm going to be hosting a Nerf War sometime in may with a couple of my friends (I don't think NIC will be invited, as my parents don't know any of you). Anyways, chances are very high one of my friends and I will be supplying all the blasters for 14-16 people. In that case, I'd like to know what a cheap, well-performing outdoor loaner gun can be made/modded in a short amount of time. The war will be with stock darts.

Ideas:
BBBB (seems a little on the expensive side, for multiple)
NFs (I'm not sure if they're good enough for an outdoor primary)

Homemades are ok with me.

#2 Muttonchops

Muttonchops

1.21 Muttonflops

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:44 PM

NFs are probably your best bet for supplying that many people with blasters without completely breaking the bank. From the Hasbo website, you can snag NFs for 6 bucks a pop

http://www.hasbrotoy...ID=13879&BR=582

From there, you can look into doing a spring replacement with an Ace Handyman spring, but if that is not available, a simple AR removal should get another 10-15 feet.

If you do a spring replacement, it would make sense to a barrel replacement. 1/2 inch PVC works perfectly with stock darts, and it costs 2 bucks for 10 feet.

Each gun would take about 20 min to fully mod, and all you need is a screwdriver and hot glue gun. A dremel or drill would help for AR removal, but not needed. Hope that helps!

-Deamonn
The LGLF - The ass-kickingest, arm-missingest, beer-drinkingest nerf clan in Jersey

21:45 Gears That's boob grabbing time
21:45 Gears it is so easy

#3 rbtying

rbtying

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:54 PM

If the NF costs 6.00, and shipping is ~10.00 total
The springs are about 4.00 per 2-pack at Home Depot
So it'll cost about 11.00 per blaster.

Do NFs get enough range to not make it totally one-sided when my friend and I have SNAPs/Titan/Hornet/BBB/DCHAP? Otherwise, it might make more sense to use BBBBs, because they're around 11.00 total as well.

#4 nerfnut23

nerfnut23

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:02 AM

Server Error 500 strikes again! I liked the 2nd one more.

Edited by nerfnut23, 06 March 2009 - 12:19 AM.

American society: A legitimate clusterfuck since 1965.

#5 nerfnut23

nerfnut23

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:08 AM

If the NF costs 6.00, and shipping is ~10.00 total
The springs are about 4.00 per 2-pack at Home Depot
So it'll cost about 11.00 per blaster.

Do NFs get enough range to not make it totally one-sided when my friend and I have SNAPs/Titan/Hornet/BBB/DCHAP? Otherwise, it might make more sense to use BBBBs, because they're around 11.00 total as well.

A NF is a secondary. Give them a BBBB or 2 BBMMs.I say 2 because they are cheap and easy to mod, 1/2 the price of a BBBB, so 2 is good. It also is fun to dual-wield powerful Nerf cannons. Soon I will have my writeup for the BBMM from Hell. I need more epoxy putty. Or just make some SNAP Mk. 4s with PEX plunger rods. And yes, a Titan would not just make it 1-sided, at close range, it will be near-lethal. Like I said, use the BBMMs in pairs, and let the awesome foamfest begin!

#6 rbtying

rbtying

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:49 AM

Sorry to be a noob, but... What's a BBMM?
And I don't have access to +bow springs, so no snapbowmk4s. SNAP-5s are a possibility though.

#7 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:06 AM

AAARRGH! The SNAPBOW Mk. 4 is different than the SNAP 4, which is much more complex/cool. Get it right.

On topic: SNAPs would actually be a good choice, if you have the chops/time to build 'em. SNAPbows are really too overpowered for use with stock darts. You could always try a weaker spring. The time investment for a simple homemade is comparable for that of a fairly complex modification. If you're playing in fairly close quarters, I would advize against BBBBs, as they really are pretty overpowered. LBBs are much weaker, and cost pretty much the same amount.

BBMM=Buzz Bee Mega Missile.

Edited by rork, 06 March 2009 - 02:07 AM.

<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#8 Skitzo

Skitzo

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:26 AM

Yous can find BBBBs for only 5 dollars plus tax at Five Below stores.
They are great loaner guns, I've used them to supply a few of my wars with my friends.

Skitzo-
If soldiers were to begin to think, not one of them would remain in the army.- Frederick The Great

#9 rbtying

rbtying

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:27 AM

When you were talking about SNAP4 vs. snapbow Mk 4, were you referring to me?
From what I can see, its between the BBBB and the SNAPs. I'll probably go for the 4B, because I don't have the time to make another four-five snaps.

#10 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:15 AM

Best to go with the BBBB or BBMM. They are cheap as in most bang for your buck. It will allow those people to be competitive against the modded ones others will bring. And will be more fun overall. Don't plug the pumps tho. Cept maybe for the BBMM cause they have such a short throw the extra air helps speed up the pumping. BBMM are only around 6-7 bucks too and are way faster to mod then a NF. And much more range.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#11 nerfnut23

nerfnut23

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:23 AM

Best to go with the BBBB or BBMM. They are cheap as in most bang for your buck. It will allow those people to be competitive against the modded ones others will bring. And will be more fun overall. Don't plug the pumps tho. Cept maybe for the BBMM cause they have such a short throw the extra air helps speed up the pumping. BBMM are only around 6-7 bucks too and are way faster to mod then a NF. And much more range.

Use the BBMM, all you need to mod it is a saw! And without a better barrel in, it can shoot megas. My BBMM outranges my BBBB by about 50' flat, but I added a new pump and a brass barrel.

#12 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:51 PM

I should mention that simply cutting off the air restrictor on an LBB allows it to fire stock darts about 70'. I assume the same is true for the BBBB. All you need is a hacksaw.

LBBs are much weaker, and cost pretty much the same amount.

What makes you think that? I didn't notice any difference in power between my BBBB and LBB.

Edited by Daniel Beaver, 06 March 2009 - 01:54 PM.

#13 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:22 PM

LBBs are much weaker, and cost pretty much the same amount.

What makes you think that? I didn't notice any difference in power between my BBBB and LBB.

They are made poorly compared to either of the alternatives. All three BBBB BBMM and the SGSL are made with a metal trigger pin this means they call all take more pressure to the trigger before that is a fail point. On the LBB you are more likely to snap your trigger pin if you have too much pressure in the tank.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#14 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:55 PM

There's no real difference between these two guns. Yes, the Blast Bazooka has a plastic firing pin that will break if you put too much pressure in the tank, but the Big Blast has a shitty trigger that will break after a while even if you don't plug the pump and much sooner if you do. The only reason to go with one over the other is that the Big Blast trigger would be easier to replace with something stronger than the Blast Bazooka firing pin would be. But as far as performance and reliability go they are the same gun.
SexD Warves

#15 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:13 PM

Sorry to continue this little derailment, but I have 2 LBBs, and they underperform my BBBB significantly. In fact, my SNAPbow shoots noticeably harder than my LBB. Also, the Big Blast trigger is much easier to reinforce well.

And I was talking to Nerfnut about the need to differentiate between SNAPbows/SNAPs.
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#16 rbtying

rbtying

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:23 PM

Thanks for all the information, everybody. I'll be buying the BBBBs sometime in mid-March, most likely, and perhaps building another one or two SNAPs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users