Cpvc Breech

using brass.

12 replies to this topic

#1 umpshaplapa

umpshaplapa

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:40 PM

This has to be the most simple way to make a CPVC breech yet. I was messing around with some 21/32 brass that I had lying around, when I spotted some random cpvc. Just for fun I slid the brass over the CPVC and to my suprise it fit perfectly. I immediatly tested if it was air-tight, and it was, so I made a breech.

It took all of 4 minutes.

Posted Image

I slid the brass along until I found the closest point to the end of the CPVC that was still air-tight. *I forgot to add in room for the coupler, if you do this add that in!* I then marked that length and cut a half pipe with my dremel. I put it in my SNAPbow and didn't feel any significant loss of force when I shot the gun.
QUOTE(Talio @ Jun 29 2009, 01:50 PM) View Post

i got a black belt in noob banning in 2004.

#2 minsc

minsc

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:03 PM

So you were just messing around with that 21/32 in. brass eh? Whatever floats your boat man.

On topic, that seems like a really easy way to make a breech, so nice job. However, what brand of CPVC did you use? I know they differ in size between brands and maybe even batches because some will fit into PVC while others will not.
QUOTE(Zorn's Lemma @ Jul 25 2010, 12:18 AM) View Post

You'll do a lot better if you spread the lips with the front. Trying to wriggle the back in there first seems a bit counterintuitive.

RSCBow

#3 Soothsayer

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:03 PM

Simple and effective. I like it. Add a bit of whatever glue or like scotch tape around the dart opening may be a good improvement I could see, but that's just if someone's CPVC doesn't quite fit the bill.

yeah I'm that guy who made that cool thing with the cool paint.

#4 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:06 PM

Hehe, I did something like this only with PETG and Ducttape at my first DCNO (Spring '08) It worked very well. Seems like I only have one picture of the breech:

Posted Image

Basically, I got medium walled PETG, cut it down one side, slid it over CPVC, wrapped duct tape over it, and used it just like yours.
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#5 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:08 PM

My first double post in like, forever... sorry about it.

Edited by Galaxy613, 04 March 2009 - 10:08 PM.

[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#6 umpshaplapa

umpshaplapa

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:11 PM

So you were just messing around with that 21/32 in. brass eh? Whatever floats your boat man.

On topic, that seems like a really easy way to make a breech, so nice job. However, what brand of CPVC did you use? I know they differ in size between brands and maybe even batches because some will fit into PVC while others will not.

Dude...nasty.

I made this out of home depot CPVC, but I tested it with some cresline stuff I'm pretty sure I got at Ace and It was just as air-tight.

Edited by umpshaplapa, 04 March 2009 - 10:12 PM.

#7 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:29 PM

Have you got any spare At2k pump tubes? Those fit perfectly over CPVC if you wanted it to look a little more congruous.

I've got a ton from 2k's with broken check valves. I just don't use CPVC.
"Until we meet in the place where there is no darkness"
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

Think that piece is beyond repair? Think again!

#8 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:30 PM

Piss. First double post... ever. Ignore, sorry.

Edited by BlackFox, 04 March 2009 - 10:31 PM.

"Until we meet in the place where there is no darkness"
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

Think that piece is beyond repair? Think again!

#9 legacy179

legacy179

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:45 PM

A problem that I have had with cpvc breeches is that when you do not push the dart all the way forward until you can not see the dart in the breech opening, when the air comes, instead of pushing the dart through the barrel, it will sometimes cause the dart to be squished forward, causing it to expand temporaily and not get all the way through the barrel.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

#10 umpshaplapa

umpshaplapa

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:08 PM

I just push the dart into the front of the whole. Maybe your barrel was to long.

#11 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:22 AM

Used one of these in my shotgun. Link in sig.
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#12 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:04 AM

So it's 3/4",1/2" CPVC and 21/32" Brass correct? If not could you show how to put the parts together I don't need to know how to cut the breech I can do that. Well good job anyways. So I think you should put some thing that you can just pop the dart in and close the breech without even having to push the dart in manually I do this to my brass breeches and it's very effective. I would add eletrical tape at the bottom tip to make a seal.

Also Home Depot cpvc is way to small cpvc it is Genova but, it's their Flow Guard Gold so it has a smaller inner diameter due to thicker walls (no duh). Maybe your Home Depot hes regular Genova I don't know but just a heads up on the CPVC other wise your darts will tear and and shrink (if they don't tear) over short periods of time. Cresline is good but if you have BlackSunshine or Hereticorp darts or some bodies foam of similar size it will be hard to put the dart in there.

Edited by Longshot Wielder, 05 March 2009 - 08:24 AM.

Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#13 umpshaplapa

umpshaplapa

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:30 PM

So it's 3/4",1/2" CPVC and 21/32" Brass correct?

No. It's just 1/2" CPVC with a slot cut in it, and the brass.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users