The Mtr

Maverick-Titan Rifle (name pending)

27 replies to this topic

#1 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:37 PM

I haven't posted any mods in a while, because alot of my recent projects have been disappointing and not worth posting.

But this week I finished something I've been wanting to do for a while - a shotgunned Titan that's comfortable and actually practical. After seeing all the Mav-Titans people have done, I knew what I wanted to do.

Let's get started!

The first step is to disassemble both guns and dremel the crap out of the Maverick shell until a Titan tank will fit. It shouldn't take too much effort - the Titan tank is almost the same size as a Maverick's cylinder.
Posted Image
I epoxy-puttied a coupler onto the tank.

Next you rig the trigger. It's very easy to attach the Mav trigger to the Titan tank - I used the thick wire that was part of the Titan's original trigger mech, and bent it into shape:
Posted Image

Next, I made the removable stock. You need to drill/dremel a hole big enough for 1/2" CPVC here:
Posted Image

Then glue a 1/2" CPVC coupler here:
Posted Image

Then make a suitable stock for it, with CPVC at the end of the stock, to attach to the coupler:
Posted Image

Now it's time for the pump. Dremel the bottom of the shell so the pump has grooves to fit into. Attach the pump to the Titan Tank via vinyl tubing from the titan, (running tubing through the hole where the Mav's cylinder release button used to be) and plug the remaining two tubing nubs - one on the tank and one on the pump. I superglued some rubber plugs over them. Then you close up the gun, and hose clamp the pump onto the gun like so:
Posted Image
It you did a good job dremeling the shell so that the pump fits into it, then it will be rock-solid. If not, you might need to use glue or epoxy putty to keep it in place.

You should also make a handle for the pump. I used PVC and the foam from a bike's handlebars to make mine.

Now for the barrel(s). Put whatever barrel you want on it. For mine, I made a shotgun speedloader with two 1.5' lengths of 1/2" SCH80 PVC. I plugged the back of both barrels with a piece of crayola marker to make sure darts wouldn't fall out the back of the barrels. Each holds 7 darts, and the one not in use can easily be reloaded with picked-up darts at any time.
Posted Image
Posted Image

When it's all together, you should have something like this:
Posted Image

Part 2 in progress, don't post yet please.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#2 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:51 PM

Next I painted it, and here's the finished product:
Posted Image

I also added a little ammo holder to the stock:
Posted Image

I don't know exact ranges, because I have yet to test it outside, but it's definitely powerful. After removing all the extra crap, it only takes 10 pumps to pump to full pressure, so the ROF is great for a titan.

I'm sorry this writeup wasn't more detailed. My camera was acting up while I was making the gun, and I could only take pictures after I was done and painting it. If anything was unclear, please tell me and I'll try to clarify things.

Also, don't mention the banned status of Titans. I don't care. My wars allow unplugged Titans, and me and my friends use them very frequently.

Ok I'm done, you can post now.

Questions? Comments? Flames?

#3 Horus

Horus

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:57 PM

Great job. Very clean. I really like how you painted your PVC. I can't stand the look of uncovered PVC. I'm going to be trying this soon. Kudos.

That is all.
That is all.

#4 Coop

Coop

#sogoodmuchtacticswowinit2winit360noscopehax0rleetbeastmodeactiv

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:05 PM

I like the stock. It looks pretty stable, have you had any problems with it?

On the other hand, the guy who posted before me used the word 'fuck' a lot so he probably knows what he's talking about.

#5 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:02 PM

Great job. Very clean. I really like how you painted your PVC. I can't stand the look of uncovered PVC. I'm going to be trying this soon. Kudos.

That is all.

Thanks! :) I almost didn't paint it, but I can't stand the look of exposed PVC either.

It's very stable. The only problem I've had is that it rotates on me sometimes, but that's to be expected from a CPVC coupler. It's very comfortable, too.

#6 OnyxZenith

OnyxZenith

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:38 AM

What whould've been really neat is if you integrated the pump into the stock! So you wouldn't have an odd purtrusion (idk if that is correct). But that's just me talking.. I don't like it when by pumps oddly purtrude off my blaster.
SoothSayer-

"Just adding some lube and twisting it back and forth for a while should make it easier"

Subscribe to my Music page and mods >> http://www.youtube.com/user/OnyxMP312

#7 b00m13

b00m13

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:03 AM

[quote name='Coop' post='216344' date='Mar 4 2009, 08:05 PM']
[/quote]

It's very stable. The only problem I've had is that it rotates on me sometimes, but that's to be expected from a CPVC coupler. It's very comfortable, too.
[/quote]

It might help, if you drilled a screw/bolt (or 2) right through the shell of the back of the Mav, through the stock, out the other side of the Mav shell :blink:

Posted Image

PS, nice paint job ^_^
The only place Wal-Mart exists in New York, is in our TV's.

#8 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:52 AM

What whould've been really neat is if you integrated the pump into the stock! So you wouldn't have an odd purtrusion (idk if that is correct). But that's just me talking.. I don't like it when by pumps oddly purtrude off my blaster. <-- it's protrusion / protrude, just so ya know. :P

The pump was placed where it is for comfort and convenience - which were the main goals of this project. A pump integrated into the stock would be the same awkward clusterfuck that the original titan has.

Where it is now, the pump is extremely comfortable, not to mention rock solid. It's also in the perfect position to connect to the Titan tank with minimal effort and tubing.

If you ever try this mod, one way to solve the protrusion issue would be to make the pump handle shorter. It certainly doesn't have to be as long as I made it, or even half as long.

It might help, if you drilled a screw/bolt (or 2) right through the shell of the back of the Mav, through the stock, out the other side of the Mav shell :blink:

Posted Image

PS, nice paint job ^_^

But then the stock wouldn't be easily removable :D It's a good suggestion, though.

And Thanks!

Edited by AssassinNF, 05 March 2009 - 01:54 AM.

#9 TAiLsChaser

TAiLsChaser

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:26 AM

I like how you went about doing this mod. It turned out very well after you painted it. My only critic of this mod is the gun's overall function. It works just the same as if you just minimized the titan from the beginning. Granted, by doing it this way, you have now established deception as you walk around with a super-mav. You can probably set it up for multiple couple systems so you can use any kind of ammo. It is for that reason that I love the titan. But, good work. I look forward to what else you bring to the table.
"Every mod I do is original. I'm a true modder; not a mod re-performer."

"It’s only after you’ve made the mistake and taken the wrong path, do you see all the other options that were before you."

#10 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:31 AM

Cement the stock so it doesn't rotate. Good job looking forward to more from you. 600th POST WOOT.
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#11 boom

boom

• Banned
  • 209 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:51 AM

Cement the stock so it doesn't rotate. Good job looking forward to more from you. 600th POST WOOT.

Well I think he meant for the stock to be remove able.
I'm just the scitzophrenic clusterfuck of randomness that is me.

#12 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:30 AM

I like how you used the right angle nubs for the tube. That solves the only real complaint I have about my own Titan-Mav where the tubing gets in the way of my trigger finger. Very nice

My only critic of this mod is the gun's overall function. It works just the same as if you just minimized the titan from the beginning.

I have to disagree, the Maverick is far more compact and comfortable then a chopped up Titan shell.
"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#13 Nerf Bros

Nerf Bros

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:53 PM

You make me happy. Why? when I read the title, I expected some dumb noobish integration thing. Instead, a nice, cool, simple mod thing. I've always wanted to do somthing like this, but am skeptical about the legality of titans, so I havn't gotten around to trying yet.
Great job, dude.
We have no sig.

#14 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:01 AM

Color-coded for convenience:

boom is right.

I like how you used the right angle nubs for the tube. That solves the only real complaint I have about my own Titan-Mav where the tubing gets in the way of my trigger finger. Very nice

Thanks! Using the right-angle nubs just seemed to work perfectly and I ran with it.

My only critic of this mod is the gun's overall function. It works just the same as if you just minimized the titan from the beginning.

I have to disagree, the Maverick is far more compact and comfortable then a chopped up Titan shell.

Exactly. The Maverick's grip melts into my hand, and the pump is no longer retardedly awkward. Sure it's still a Titan, but it's a much more comfortable Titan

I thought so too.
Of course one could drill a hole all the way through and install a pin all the way through the shell, such as a slightly tight nail with the point filed round, or even a full fledged clevis pin with a safety clip on it.

What I would probably do is drill for a simple short pin made from a nail, with the tip filed flat so it fits completely inside the shell. Drill the hole through the coupler and pipe, almost where the pipe ends. Then file or saw open the hole in the pipe so it becomes a slot. With the pin held in by assembling the shell, the stock should still be a friction fit into the coupler, and the pin would prevent rotation.

That's exactly what I want to do, but I couldn't think of such a simple way to do it. Thank you for the idea, I'll probably be doing that soon.

You make me happy. Why? when I read the title, I expected some dumb noobish integration thing. Instead, a nice, cool, simple mod thing. I've always wanted to do somthing like this, but am skeptical about the legality of titans, so I havn't gotten around to trying yet.
Great job, dude.

Thanks! I aim to please.

Update:

I range tested it today. With 8 darts (just found out each barrel holds 8, not 7), it got about 70' range with an 5-8' spread. With one dart, it got typical 100+ Titan ranges, but it's a pain in the ass to load only one dart, since the barrel wasn't designed for it.

With LogHome darts, which were way too tight to shotgun load, they still got the same ranges, but the barrel flew off after them about 5 feet. It was pretty funny.

#15 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:22 AM

Very sexy. I like this a lot.I have seen this done before but I do like the idea of putting a stock on it. Looks comfy.
QUOTE(Zaxbys @ Mar 2 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
I won't be there til about 1-2...

Church... gotta soak up that Jesus!

NERFSTRONG #51

#16 Ner Commando

Ner Commando

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:00 PM

I like this mod a lot. But is there any way to make the pump in the stock perhaps? That would get rid of the ugly pump nad tubing.

#17 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:13 PM

Nice, Simple, and just over-all cool. And hell, if you guys allow titans, why not? ROF isn't the best but let someone have fun out ranging you.
QUOTE(TxNerfer @ Nov 13 2010, 12:42 PM) View Post

Hey...I got a crazy idea: how about you stop all that sigging stuff? It's not even my thread and it annoys me.

#18 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:58 PM

Very sexy. I like this a lot.I have seen this done before but I do like the idea of putting a stock on it. Looks comfy.

It's very comfy, but a bit unstable. I'm going to try a version of JSB's suggestion to fix that.

I like this mod a lot. But is there any way to make the pump in the stock perhaps? That would get rid of the ugly pump nad tubing.

The tubing would then be in the way of your trigger finger, and you'd have an awkward stock-pump just like a Titan. The pump is perfect right where it is, and I don't think the tubing looks bad. I'm not going to sacrifice function for form.

Nice, Simple, and just over-all cool. And hell, if you guys allow titans, why not? ROF isn't the best but let someone have fun out ranging you.

Thanks! but there are quite a few guns in my arsenal that out-range this, simply because I'll never fire one dart at a time from it. I prefer the 8-dart blast. :lol:

#19 eddieoctane

eddieoctane

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:10 PM

If you want a removable stock, drill a hole and use a peg and cotter pin or something along those lines. The stock wouldn't move around, but it would be very easy to remove the pin and peg and detach the stock.

How stable is the pump? IO get the feeling that one hose clamp wouldn't hold the pump on very well.
C8H18

#20 eddieoctane

eddieoctane

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:12 PM

Double post by accident. Please delete.

Edited by eddieoctane, 09 March 2009 - 12:51 AM.

C8H18

#21 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:30 AM

If you want a removable stock, drill a hole and use a peg and cotter pin or something along those lines. The stock wouldn't move around, but it would be very easy to remove the pin and peg and detach the stock.

How stable is the pump? IO get the feeling that one hose clamp wouldn't hold the pump on very well.

I did something similar to JSB's suggestion to keep the stock from turning on me. I'll get pictures up when I stop feeling like shit.

The pump is extremely solid. The hose clamp locks the pump into the grooves I cut for it, and the pump doesn't move at all.

#22 ihatellamaboy

ihatellamaboy

• Banned
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:49 AM

I like the way the gun now has a shape closer to an actual rifle or shotgun. I noticed your barrel and I am wondering if you can load eight darts in each barrel. It may be an extra hassle but what type of results do you think you'd get if you made a barrel that had the inner diameter of the current barrel you are using and then you got multiple barrels the same length of the main one but their outer diameter was the same as the main barrel's inner diameter. You could load up these barrels with darts and slid them down the main barrel so you could have pre loaded clips.

#23 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:10 PM

I like the way the gun now has a shape closer to an actual rifle or shotgun. I noticed your barrel and I am wondering if you can load eight darts in each barrel. It may be an extra hassle but what type of results do you think you'd get if you made a barrel that had the inner diameter of the current barrel you are using and then you got multiple barrels the same length of the main one but their outer diameter was the same as the main barrel's inner diameter. You could load up these barrels with darts and slid them down the main barrel so you could have pre loaded clips.

If I understand what you're saying correctly (not sure at all, that paragraph is quite confusing) it's adding a pointless extra step. You could just make a couple of extra speed-loaders and swap them out.
"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#24 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:58 PM

I like the way the gun now has a shape closer to an actual rifle or shotgun.

I do, too

I noticed your barrel and I am wondering if you can load eight darts in each barrel.

Yes, I can load 8 in each barrel. In fact, that's what the barrel's made for.

It may be an extra hassle but what type of results do you think you'd get if you made a barrel that had the inner diameter of the current barrel you are using and then you got multiple barrels the same length of the main one but their outer diameter was the same as the main barrel's inner diameter. You could load up these barrels with darts and slid them down the main barrel so you could have pre loaded clips.

VelveetaAvenger is right. It's adding an unneeded and potentially dangerous extra step. With the crazy power of a Titan behind it, what's to stop the barrel-clips from flying right out the barrel? The current speedloader setup works great, and if I needed extra shots, I could just make more speedloaders.

#25 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:09 PM

Whoa. :) I don't know what I would do if that thing was pointed at me. Makes me wish that I had a Titan now. I always wanted to do something with my broken maverick.

-Mehku

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users