Bad News In Nerf-ville.

12 replies to this topic

#1 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:48 PM

Has anyone else noticed the severe lack of toys at thrift stores lately? I'll tell you why it's happening: Hippies. The U.S. House of Representatives passed a law last year, which went in to effect on February 10th, 2009. The law reduces the amount of acceptable lead in products meant for children down to 650 PPM (Parts Per Million). While they have noble intentions, the requirements are essentially making it illegal to sell children's products that cannot be proven to be lead free. Even if those products are used, come with no guarantee, and have been in the hands of children for years. So basically, to sell some product meant for a child, you must test it in its finished form for lead levels. Handmade products, such as those sold at farmer's markets, church bazaars, etc., are also required to abide by the new law, which is likely to put many crafters out of business, due to the cost of testing.

I'm going to contact each of the store in my area and see if I can work out a deal for them to set aside all of the nerf blasters that they would otherwise need to destroy. Some of you other folks might want to look in to it as well.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#2 bigred1rifleman

bigred1rifleman

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:54 PM

My social studies teacher (who is awsome, he was a marine, in the airforce, and worked with Chuck Norris) was talking about this the other day. He said that you couldn't even sit in the back seats of some cars because of this.

~F!nnster

#3 coltsboy29

coltsboy29

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:05 PM

Freaking hippies!!!

Why do they have to be so scared of lead in toys. There probably is a low enough amount to pass requirements in nerf products anyway. Its stupid!
Totally not gettin' siggy with it at all.

#4 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:25 PM

Ah yes, this is what dried up my supply of fairly inexpensive blasters.

This was essentially a knee-jerk reaction to the lead paint scare of late 2007 to mid 2008, when it was reported that toys coming out of China had lead paint on them.

The Scoop
More Info
What you can do about it
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#5 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:26 PM

And so are you some days my friend, so are you. (CB29)

On topic: No make fun of hippies!! My grandparents were hippies back in the day. If you are making fun of modern hippies, feel free, but olden day hippies, please no. But yes, the lead count thing is stupid, and yet here to protect in a way that has almost never caused injury as far as I have heard. I guess my mom got lucky at goodwill the other day though with the longshot she picked up.

Edited by death by cheez, 28 February 2009 - 09:28 PM.

http://fairview.dead...eadfrontier.com

Great game, zombie apocalypse MMORPG. I'm acer34p3r on there.

#6 balisticjoe

balisticjoe

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:36 PM

On topic: No make fun of hippies!! My grandparents were hippies back in the day. If you are making fun of modern hippies, feel free, but olden day hippies, please no.

I have to agree with this. I think that it is directed toward liberal douches. Just a lack of information.
There Are No Stupid Questions, But There Are A Lot Of Inquisitive Idiots.

#7 atomatron

atomatron

• Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:09 PM

The official report from the CPSC...I think..

Here

From what it says it seems that thrift stores are both exempt and not exempt from lead/phthalates testing...
Perche Germolgi. [Because it shoots]

Rainbow Clan

#8 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:10 PM

I have to agree with this. I think that it is directed toward liberal douches. Just a lack of information.

The legislation was brought up by Republicans and President Bush did not try to veto it.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#9 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:10 PM

My problem with this topic is it encourages people to state their views on laws that are passed by politicians. While this may be the first case where I've seen a recent (let alone national) law passed that may actually effect the hobby, I am concerned about the direction it may take.

Calling someone 'a liberal douche' for instance is just asking for a response from the other side. This leads to more back and forth, and that's what we want to avoid. While I don't believe this was the original poster's intention, I do not want this thread to stray that way. Besides, this is an informational thread. How much info do you need after the first post? Unless you have contradicting info or a way to acquire nerf blasters outside of thrift stores, you really have no reason to post. Filler posts in threads like these is why no one pays attention to post counts. There are some of you who have 200-300 posts whom I've never heard of and I think this is an reminding me why.

Cut out the politics shit and only post if you have something to constructive to say.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#10 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:01 AM

The official report from the CPSC...I think..

Here

From what it says it seems that thrift stores are both exempt and not exempt from lead/phthalates testing...

And that is exactly where the problem is. The employees of the stores I have spoken to have been so confused by what the law actually states that the management just decided to eliminate the risk entirely. It's a ridiculous overreaction by at least my local stores. Thanks for finding that particular release, as it is concise and easy to print out. I'll be passing them out to my local thrift stores.

#11 iM ThAT Kid

iM ThAT Kid

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:00 PM

I have seen this. I was at Target today and they had about no guns. Not even a BBB.

#12 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:02 PM

I have seen this. I was at Target today and they had about no guns. Not even a BBB.

This shouldn't really apply to large retail stores selling new products, as the new products should be certified to comply with the law already. It's really the old stuff that many people were confused about and thinking they needed to pull from the shelves.

#13 Eboreg

Eboreg

• Banned
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:26 PM

A message to all modern-day hippies
[font="Courier"]\OO/
[/font]
Always bring your sword to battle.

I pity the fool who attempts to use a single-shot blaster against me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users